I Got The First One

the fisherman

Big Time
If you read any of the Tow Missle mods, you know I upgraded the turbo, and injectors as well as the intercooler. That's all good, but the turbo and injector mods led to higher EGTs, thats not good. Without the new intercooler by now I would have melted this 7.3. Part of the problem is the intake, it's cast alum. in one piece, that results in the cool intake air being heated by the white hot exhaust, really kinda' dumb, and counter productive, considering a good alum. intercooler is about $1000.00 investment. So we think we found a solution in the posted pic. I know there aren't too many Fords around here, especially 7.3s, but this info might be useful to somebody. Wil post a report after install, one thing led to another, and I decided to pull all the alum. brackets off the front of the engine, including the alternator housing and powder coat all the parts.

Attachments

• 73L_front-web_image4.jpg
    73L_front-web_image4.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 451
Yeah I'm Pretty Sure

Have you ever noticed how bad I'm beaten on every time the name Ford is mentioned?

Please keep us update on your progress!
A 7.3 powerstroke F250 is perfect for me but I put too much $ into my Tacoma, if I mention getting a F250 I think my wife will kill me....... :D

I Knew This Was Coming

If you leave the nice plastic intercooler in the front of that Dodge, and increase the fuel supply, and install a nice ball bearing turbo, I guarantee you it will.

So fisherman, my 7.3 is soooo old I don't even have an intercooler. I'm wondering if this would be a good start - then add custom bent tubing & a junkyard intercooler. probably a lot cheaper than a Banks or others that I can't afford. the big problem is they just don't mak a lot for the '95. So what do you think? is this doable?

No, We're Old School

My truck was one of the last 7.3s built, I had no reason a the time to choose the 7.3, but I thought it might be a better choice, I knew it was a proven power plant, and besides it sounds like a real diesel, It won't make a 1000hp like a Cummins, but it will last just as long, who knows maybe longer. There are people I know who have had both and think the old 7.3 tows better, I'm happy with what I have, I would not trade this truck for a new Dodge, if they gave it to me, and i'm serious. ROAST PIG ANYONE?

I Don't See Why Not

So fisherman, my 7.3 is soooo old I don't even have an intercooler. I'm wondering if this would be a good start - then add custom bent tubing & a junkyard intercooler. probably a lot cheaper than a Banks or others that I can't afford. the big problem is they just don't mak a lot for the '95. So what do you think? is this doable?

I always thought the fact that they didn't make a lot of performance parts for these motors was a good thing, I thought it would save me some money, we'll if you've read the shopping list for this thing, maybe not. The people who really know diesel engines will tell you an intercooler is probably the best most effective mod. you can make. I know a couple of them, so I'll ask a few questions. In the mean time, search Diesel Power mag. somewhere along the line I'm sure somebody has done that install. I really don't see a problem, it's plumbing, and you're a plumber.

i agree, i will keep my 7.3l ford.

those dodge guys all know the facts...
...they could have had a V8 !

I thought the Tow Missile had a 6.0 liter engine??

DD

That would be the Tow Missle Jr. :D Oh, and by the way I've blown the doors off an "07" CTD while towing a trailer up the Grapevine. :eek:

Finally I'm Gettin' A Little Help

But for some reason I wish I hadn't brought this up in the first place. I'm sure the Dodge Boys will be chiming in, as soon as they pay the nice lady behind the bullet proof glass at the repair shop.

That's Why I'm Here In The First Place

So that when things go bad, there's somebody to blame.

Good for you Marc now I wish I got something faster. Just got a note from Exxon they say good for you too. Wanna have some fun? Google f250 + "buy back". Talk about bullet proof glass!

And Now it begins anew!!

Ya think so

Jay

Don't get me wrong, I think the CTD is a great motor, at least through "05". I just don't like what they drop them in. :D

I even think that's cute...

But what I like more is the picture of saltys bathroom...That says it all.....:D

Need To Know Anymore?

Back
Top Bottom