I have a screw loose.

Toddhom

Advanced Member
I have a 2004 Eagle. There are a number of places where screws are stripped out and held in with chewing gum. How does one go about filling these holes and re-inserting the screws so they are tight once again. For example I have solar panel on top. The mounting screws are loose. I can lift one corner up. I tried fixing this with a bigger screw and promptly stripped out the hole with the new screw. I have read that you want to use a taper point screw when you do this. I used a self tapping screw and it just stripped out right away. Where my jack mounting plates are connected to the camper a number of screws are stripped and loose, also corner trim pieces have the same problem. In the future I plan to put a new 180 watt solar panel on top so I need to figure out how to fill the old holes. I want to install the new panel in a different location. I know I can shift and relocate things but how do you properly fill the old holes so you can paint and be waterproof.

Try inserting a 1 1/2" - 2" piece of electrical wire into the screw hole and re-insert the screw. May not work for screws that are holding up a load like your jack brackets but should be fine for trim pieces. Good luck!!

Fill old holes with 3M 5200, insert larger screws if they are required to attach roof skin. Tighten by hand only, being careful not to strip. Once dried the 5200 will seal and anchor the screws in place. Another option if the holes are to far gone is to drill new screw holes next to the old holes and just fill the old holes without installing screws

Are you using a drill or other driver to run the screws in? Its really thin aluminum and you're much better off doing it manually and not going over "snug" tight. 5200 would probably work if you don't think you'll ever have to remove the screws.

Hi Todd, It was a pleasure to meet you, talk, and strum guitars a bit at Ocotillo last weekend. We talked some about the jack bracket screw issue.

As I mentioned, I had this same problem, loose/broken/missing/multiple broken screws in the brackets. A previous owner had used something really sticky, probably the 3M stuff, to attach and seal these brackets. It made for a mess when I needed to really fix these, for this and other reasons I replaced the siding while fixing the mounting brackets permanently using RIvnuts (nutserts / threaded inserts).

P1030744r.JPGP1030847r.JPGP1030844r.JPG

Story here:

Epilogue: Wow, three years now since I updated that thread. More fun to have fun than to write about it I guess!

The rivnuts have held perfectly, no more leaks, new siding looks great. I've been experimenting inside, but have yet to finish the inside rebuild. We've been out camping and extending our outdoor season.

I ran into the same problem of self tapping screws stripping out instantly. I ended up drilling a pilot hole and using tapered point screws for new holes. For already stripped out holes I just went the next size up tapered screw and a gentle touch. Every screw got a dab of adhesive sealant as it went in, but nothing so strong it will cause problems later if I want to remove them.

Todd for mounting the new solar panel glue it down.

We used 3M VSB 4950 tape under the foots of the panel See post.

26 pound 150 watt panel has been up on the roof for 3 years and 25,000 miles with no "de-coupling" issues". When you are ready to swap out the panel 3M makes a de-bonding material to remove the tape.

And wire-nutted the cable because the friction connection was losing contact over time.

Back
Top Bottom