I took a driving course today. WOW!

EdoHart

Grasshopper
My company has seen a lot of slow speed (5-10 mph) single vehicle collisions into stationary objects lately, so they instituted a new program in which all employees must go through a class room session, and personnel like myself who drive company vehicles must complete an on road driving test. I learned a lot today!

My class room and on road instructor served 26 years in the CHP and now works as a driving safety instructor. If you have the opportunity, I strongly encourage you to participate in this kind of program. I thought I was a safe driver, and in fact I scored 4 out of 5, on 28 of the 29 criteria of the on road test. I scored a mere 2 on the last criteria - hand placement on a steering wheel with air bags.

The number one thing I learned (and I knew this from previous courses, but they never included an "on road driving test") is that a complete walk around of your truck takes all of about 10 seconds. 10 seconds to walk around your truck to ensure you won't hit anything going forward or backward is worth the time to me.

good idea. When I worked for CDF before we ever pulled the fire engines out of the bays, we checked the oil and all the lights. Then everything else got checked. Sad to say it didnt' sink in and I routinely pull out and head to work without checking anything. I own an air compressor and I still don't check my tire pressures even monthly. Gotta get off my ass do the the basics.

EdoHart, thanks for the great reminder! Developing good habits based on safety will help all of us as will continuing education.

Back
Top Bottom