I Tried, But I Can't Resist

the fisherman

Big Time
My best friend here in Whitethorn, his name is Bob Lewis is, or was a die hard Dodge driver. He's given me as much BS as anybody here about the fact that I have a Ford. Well, yesterday out of his mouth comes this "I'm gettin rid of this POS". "Bobby, what's wrong now" I asked. It's the front end again, can't keep ball joints in the thing. I think this is the third time in three years that this truck has had serious front end issues. I drove it yesterday, it has the worst "death wobble" I've ever experienced, so it's back to the repair shop. I can't believe this, but he asked me if I was interested in selling my truck, he really wants a lo mi. 7.3 Ford, so if you know anybody that has one of those piles of junk lying around let me know. He's going to be helping me with the pig, you can hear it for yourself. "great motor, the truck they put it in is the problem". I couldn't have said it better myself. This makes my day.

You, know the whole 3rd time thing...

...reminds me of my 2001 1/2 ton w/ the 318. I liked the truck, it never had a real problem until about 120k miles when the rear end gave out.

My biggest gripe with the truck was expensive: Dodge designed the truck with some emissions box that hung off, below, and outside the passenger side frame rail just behind the cab. This on a 4x4 truck.

Let me tell you what scrapped that $400 part (plus labor) off the rail: off-road usage, road debris (!), and road-debris a second time! And let me tell you, this part is expensive and hard to find at salvage yards.

I should have done something about relocating the box or adding a skid plate, but I just never had time/money/desire to do it... To bad, I'd have saved some money. Of course, I shouldn't have needed to....

bring this issue up at hogfest...while we are all present....and alert.

I'm smart enough to know that I probably shouldn't have brought this up in the first place. I had my reasons, one, we all know I like to stir up as much s%$t as possible, number two, I've taken a fair share of Ford abuse. I think that Dodge trucks are probably ok, there's a few around here, but honestly there are more Fords, I was just trying to point out that they were not as flawless as some people would like you to believe, this particular truck could be a lemon, I don't know, but it has had a lot of front end problems, both tie rod and ball joint issues. But here's the good news, in order to stay in business, Chrysler Corp. in talking to "FIAT" about a merger, Fiat is a failed company, it's a marriage made in heaven. Just think, when they let the Fiat engineers got to work on those trucks, I'm sure they will be a lot better.Have you ever driven a Fiat?

there is a lot of farmland in this valley...most of these farm guys drive ford trucks. on tv they drive something different. i dont know where that tv farm is.

there is a lot of farmland in this valley...most of these farm guys drive ford trucks. on tv they drive something different. i dont know where that tv farm is.

That's true, and if you go to the lettuce fields of the Salinas Valley the only truck you will see is a Ford, and those guys beat the crap out of those trucks. But what do they know, their only a bunch of dumb farmers. Dodge trucks are popular on the sled circuit, because they can make big horse power and torque numbers, but the Cummins motor is doing that not the truck that Dodge built. Man, while I'm sitting here typing this, I'm thinking why are you doing this, then I remembered, just to stir the pot. I'm not into sled pullin' I drive a Ford. I'm sitting here reading the new issue of Diesel Power mag., there's an article about the new small disp. V8 that's going into the half ton truck. There's another first, how long was Ford putting these crappy motors in these trucks, before you heard of a Ram Cummins?

I was just trying to point out that they were not as flawless as some people would like you to believe,

Don't think I've heard anyone ever saying they were flawless. EVERY vehicle is going to have its issues. By the way is your buddies rig one of the older body styles? Those I've heard eat up front ends.

Personally one of the main things I liked is their quad cab design better than the extended cab that ford does. The ford X-cab is too small and too upright of a backseat to reasonable expect some folks to ride for a while in there. Dodge pulled 3" out of the bed and but it in the cab, smart more in my opinion because the 3" less on the bed is nothing. The megacab models made by any of the manufacturers are not something I like at all.

Don't think I've heard anyone ever saying they were flawless. EVERY vehicle is going to have its issues. By the way is your buddies rig one of the older body styles? Those I've heard eat up front ends.

Personally one of the main things I liked is their quad cab design better than the extended cab that ford does. The ford X-cab is too small and too upright of a backseat to reasonable expect some folks to ride for a while in there. Dodge pulled 3" out of the bed and but it in the cab, smart more in my opinion because the 3" less on the bed is nothing. The megacab models made by any of the manufacturers are not something I like at all.

"MISSION ACCOMPLISHED"

Get a sled you have every other toy on earth.

Jon I PM'd you.

Better check the address, maybe my spam filter got it first.

Do you know what Mopar stands for?

Many people think Mopar is short for Motor Parts. In actuality, it's an acronym M.O.P.A.R. = Massively Over Powered And Respected.

Many people think Mopar is short for Motor Parts. In actuality, it's an acronym M.O.P.A.R. = Massively Over Powered And Respected.

Ed, you drive a Chevy, we don't have too many of those here, so far that's worked out good for you. You've managed to stay out of this, and personally I think that's a good thing. But if you've decided to side with the enemy, well I guess I could bring up the subject of Chevy. front ends, you wouldn't want that, would you?

Shaken, not stirred.

Like a good martini, a thread should be shaken, not stirred. ;) Actually, I like both of them either way.

That's true, and if you go to the lettuce fields of the Salinas Valley the only truck you will see is a Ford, and those guys beat the crap out of those trucks. But what do they know, their only a bunch of dumb farmers.

When i used to work in Salinas all the fords were fleet trucks thanks to to local ford dealer having a good ol boy lock on business. All the dodges in town were slammed to the pavement, hate it when a good truck goes bad:mad:
Not many GMs.

BTW not many farmers left down there just agribusiness.

Fiat makes great trucks

I'm smart enough to know that I probably shouldn't have brought this up in the first place. I had my reasons, one, we all know I like to stir up as much s%$t as possible, number two, I've taken a fair share of Ford abuse. I think that Dodge trucks are probably ok, there's a few around here, but honestly there are more Fords, I was just trying to point out that they were not as flawless as some people would like you to believe, this particular truck could be a lemon, I don't know, but it has had a lot of front end problems, both tie rod and ball joint issues. But here's the good news, in order to stay in business, Chrysler Corp. in talking to "FIAT" about a merger, Fiat is a failed company, it's a marriage made in heaven. Just think, when they let the Fiat engineers got to work on those trucks, I'm sure they will be a lot better.Have you ever driven a Fiat?

Personally I don't now if I would prefer a Chevy or Fiat passenger car, I never had any of them. But Fiat builds great big trucks, no pick ups, the real thing. They seem to be very durable and long lasting, except for the corrosion, but my experience is from quite some years ago.

You know, I'm a Toyota guy, and I was very disappointed when I had to change my steering pump after 55,000 miles because it was leaking.

I had to change all the wheel bearings and break disks on my wife's Toyota Land Cruiser at 149,000.

It's just frustrating that there is no real quality out there.

You know, I'm a Toyota guy, and I was very disappointed when I had to change my steering pump after 55,000 miles because it was leaking.

It's just frustrating that there is no real quality out there.

Same here. Nissans and Toyotas and nothing else. I've only owned one American maker's vehicle in my lifetime and that was enough. :eek:

But it is fun to watch the debate and see guys having to buy a new truck every coupla years as they brag about which one is "better"....:confused:

LOL

Back
Top Bottom