I wanna get Jacked Up

Hayduke

I have the Reico Titan Hydraulic jacks that came with my 1996 FWD shell model on a 1999 Tacoma Trd. These things have not held up well as far as rust, etc. I recently treated all the rust and repainted them, but bottom line is I don't trust them much. Sometimes I've gotta pump those babies a lot, and exercise the bottom extension up and down manually to get them to get pressure. I'm wondering how the mechanical jacks work. I know they are lighter and it would be nice to leave those things on for the backcountry. I always take off the jacks I have due to their weight during my trips. The last time I had a sudden flat tire on a slope going down Marble Canyon en route to Saline Valley, I had to get creative getting my stock and bottle jacks to lift that beast. Jacks would have helped. I know there is a way to rebuild the seals, but I'd still have the "damn these things are heavy" issue.
FWD wants $500.00 for a set. Any better prices out there?
Thanks in advance
Hayduke

I have the factory fwc mechanical jacks. They are great. Just make sure to have a cordless drill to use them. I usually keep them off to reduce weight.

When I bought my FWC, the previous owner had stored the camper outside during the winter with the hydraulic jacks in the up position and the camper unsupported. Needless to say, they were shot. They wouldn't go up or down. I tried to get them rebuilt but it was going to cost me almost as much as a new set.

I replaced them with a set of Reico mechanicals and love them. You can buy an adaptor to use with your cordless drill that I'm sure makes raising and lowering alot easier. I got around this by making a set of saw horses about the same height as my truck's bed when it's unloaded. About 20 cranks on each and your ready to load or unload.

I remove the jacks when the camper is on the truck. This past winter I left them on the camper while it was in storage and they started to rust up so I think I'll be taking them off the camper and storing them inside when not needed. Neither the paint nor the galvinizing seem to be very thick. You'd think that for that much money they could afford to put more than one coat of paint on them.

I bought mine from Dyer's RV for about $240 a pair which was the best price I could find at the time.

Good luck!

I bought mine back 4/04 for $394 for a set of four from GI Joes which is a sporting goods store in Washington and Oregon, that was the standard retail price at that time. Every internet retailer that I found was much more expensive. I don't recall why I asked at GI Joes except that they sell Brophy accessories including cable jacks, they didn't have any display or advertising but had books of RV and truck accessories behind the automotive parts counter that you could browse thru and order what you wanted. Maybe other parts stores have access to the same type RV accessory books that you could order from for less than $500.

I bought the "zinc" color hoping they would be more rust resistant then the white ones, no rust so far sitting out exposed to the weather for 3yrs.

I'd be half tempted to sell you mine. Took em off when I got the camper and haven't used em since. But if I did that I'm sure something would come up and I'd regret not having them :)

Craig333 Jacks

Hey Craig, If you decide to sell those jacks, let me know. I'd give you my hydraulic jacks, two of which need some manual priming to work. At least you would have something to remove your camper and they are derusted and painted. The hydraulic jacks weigh about 30 lbs. apiece. Way to heavy to leave on my truck. I thought I read somewhere that the mechanical jacks are 1/2 the weight. Anyways, thought I'd ask. I'll be checking around for prices. Hope things are good
Hayduke

Hayduke:

well, I did not know these jacks cost so much. Especially since mine are rusting so bad as well. Please do tell how you did the de rusting and how much time you spent. May be a good winter job.

thanks, dave

Heyduke,

Find out what it would it would cost for the Brophy Cable Jacks. If you can find those cheaper, I think those would work for me better than the Rieco Mechanicals that I have. I think I bought mine back in October. I'd trade you straight up. Think about it.

Jacks

Thanks everyone for the info.
Dave, essentially, I scaped rust, and sanded and then painted the rust areas with a naval jelly product that neutralizes the rust and becomes a primer like substance after it's dry. Then I hand painted 3 coats of rustoleum enamel paint and topped it off with a few cans of spray paint which was also rustoleum enamel. Not the prettiest, but way better than their prior condition.
W.E., I'll check around for those Brophy cable jacks. Are you in California? Shipping these things could get pricey, but worth a try,
Thanks

Warpath, haven't had much luck tracking prices on those brophy cable jacks. The manufacturer website has no prices. I have found a few other sites, again with no prices. I'll start calling to get answers
Hayduke

cable jacks

Just to give you a price for reference. We charge 325.00 for a set of the cable jacks. At least that will give you a figure to go from. I am sure you can find a camping store or dealer for Brophy that would be able to give you a better price.

Thanks Ben. Do you know the weight (each) on the reico mechanical jacks? And what are your prices for them?I heard a while back that they might be as little as 15 lbs each. I doubt if they are that light, but if they are, seems like a reasonable thing to take with you into the backcountry just in case you need them.
Thanks, Hayduke

jacks

Hayduke,

The mechanical jacks weight around 25 pounds each. I have yet to see one that would come in at 15 pounds. Our price for a set of four is 475.00.

Unless you are doing some serious off roading, you should not have a problem carrying the jacks on the camper. Like everything else, just a matter of being aware that they are there and not running over something that will catch them.

Over the years at WC I never had a customer come in that had caught their jack on something to cause damage. Seems as thought the customers that travel to areas that could have that problem took them off for the trip.

If you have any other questions, feel free to call us.

Thanks Ben. I'll check your address. Next time I'm in the Sacramento area and I have some extra$, I may come by for a set unless you have to order them before hand.
Hayduke

jacks

Just check with us before you are going to come out. I usually have a few extra sets here because they are so popular but better to be safe and check to make sure we have an extra set before making the trip.

Back
Top Bottom