Ice Box

ymc2272

Hi all,

I have a 3-way fridge in my Eagle. However, I'd like to swap it out for an ice box, primarily because of the relative ease of obtaining ice compared to refilling my propane in rural Mexico. Does anyone know the dimensions of the ice box, and how easy/difficult it is to switch the two? Alternatively, perhaps I can simply construct a box to put in the current fridge, and fill that with ice. Any thoughts/experience with this?

Many thanks, Andy

First question would be what year is your camper.

If it has the 1.9 CF refer, then the piece of wood around the front of the refer has to come off and a new one with a hole of 17 1/2 wide and 20 5/8 tall made to replace it.

You will also have to build a false floor for the ice box to sit on in the space that it will go.

I would also completely fill the surrounding area of the ice box with insulation to help keep your ice.

If you need any more information, your welcome to call us anytime.

Andy,
Just 2 words of caution. They suck. The reason Tom has one for you is that I took it out of the camper when I owned it because in hot weather they just dont work well. I converted the space into a pantry and used 1 or 2 Coleman extreme coolers depending on the trip length. I could get 5 to 7days out of the Colemans in 90+ temps and 1 and on rare occasions 2 days out of the ice box. Maybe my experience isnt typical.
Jay

THanks

Hmmmm, perhaps I'll just bring a cooler along and bury it in the sand where I'm camping.

I haven't used the ice box much but the one trip that I do remember using one was to Collins Lake one summer with temps in the high 90's. The ice lasted me from Friday afternoon when I put it in until Sunday afternoon when I came home. Two full days with some left.

One of the important points of using the ice box is the drain for it. When it comes out of the camper is needs to have a bit of dip in it so that it will trap water. This will cause the ice to melt a lot slower than if you just have the drain coming straight out of the camper.

The drain hose should come out of the camper, go down a bit and then back up to the camper attached on the underside with a small plastic clamp. Kind of a U shape to trap the water as it drains.

The other important point of the ice box is too make sure it is well insulated in the camper. If you put one in, make sure to fill up the area around the ice box with insulation to help keep the cold in.

In talking to customers over the years, it seems the average time for a 10 pound block of ice is two to three days use.

Of course the cooler idea is a better way to go and use the space for more storage.

Back
Top Bottom