Ice chest drawer

John22

Hello All, As long as I was figuring out how to post pictures I thought I'd show some solutions to some issues I had with the cabinets I built last year before my trip. I really don't know what a stock interior looks like but I wanted to be able to grab a cool beverage from outside my camper or from within while putting lunch together without it being too much in the way. What I have is basically a 1/4 piece of ply between the cabinet bottom and an aluminum angle on top. This little area also holds my coleman propane stove. Initally I thought it would be study enough without a little stick/ prop when fully open but when filled with ahh..., beverages it sagged a bit. So I have a custom prop to help hold it up. The stove is held above the sliding shelf with brackets to allow the unit to slide with less resistance and both are held with bungee cords to keep it from flopping into the space where the ice chest was. The portapotty usually occupies the space below the ice chest shelf. You might also see the Fastgun type cam hold down on the floor, very fast and highly recommended. This little sliding shelf has been awesome! I can easily stop at the store throw in some ice or whatever without climbing in.

Attachments

• P3040005.JPG
    P3040005.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 220
  • P3040016.JPG
    P3040016.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 282
  • P3040019.JPG
    P3040019.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 283
  • P3040022.JPG
    P3040022.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 247
Great mod John, simple and functional. You might be able to delete the need for the support leg with some drawer side slides and a 3/4" plywood shelf. Should be strong enough to do the job. Just an idea.

Great mod John, simple and functional. You might be able to delete the need for the support leg with some drawer side slides and a 3/4" plywood shelf. Should be strong enough to do the job. Just an idea.

Hey there DLN,Thanks for taking a look. It seems your up the big hill from me. Yep that would've the way to go but I did not have enough room vertical and really tight horizontal. The contol was the height of the porta-potti and the ice chest. I've got about a 1/4 inch clearance at the top and hardware and ply I was looking at was going to suck up about an inch and an eighth of an inch. Ended up having to get creative but that is the fun part!

john, yeah now I see the vertical clearance issue, I didn't look close enough the first time to catch it, good mod anyway.

Back
Top Bottom