Idaho & Montana - July 2024

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
Last edited:
Thanks Monte .Angel lake brings back many great memories.
Our first time was in 1981 our last was Sept of 2012.
Such a beautiful place.
In 1981 we had the place to ourselves.
Your stays at the Alpine lakes are so beautiful.Sorry for no trout.
Thanks.
Frank

The sheepshead (a denizen of salt water along the Atlantic coast) is a known bait stealer. There's a technique for setting the hook in a sheepshead which you might want to try on those persnickity cutts: Set the hook precisely one-half second before the strike.

Looking forward to more installments. Looks like you found some rocks in NV and ID, which I'm also keen on researching.

Foy

Beautiful area. I am looking forward to your next installment. We had planned to visit Copper Basin last fall but were turned back by snow. Snow and backcountry dirt roads don’t mix. I was surprised to see that you encountered crowds there. We didn’t and heard it was an ff the beaten path place.

Thanks for the wonderful trip report Part 1. Brought back memories of my last visit to Wildhorse Lake, back around 1990. When returning to camp after visiting the lake, I encountered a moose cow and calf. So of course I went up the scree slope on the left to work my way around and back to the trail. Along the way I found an instrument package from a weather balloon. Later, studying it, it was just possible to make out some instructions for returning it. I marked the location on a topo map and sent the instrument package and the map to the address indicated. Never heard back, but maybe it helped fill in some bit of information in some database.

Looking forward to your next installment. Y'all were in my old hiking/camping zone.

Great to see Donna out and about. We traveled through Hamilton a couple years before we got our Bobcat.Did the Lolo pass area and Glacier/Yellowstone route then back through Hamilton.
Spent the night in town.Walking around and had dinner at the pizza place in an old wooden building.
Lots of interesting stories from this part of your trip.
Thanks.
Frank

We took the slow route from just east of Challis via Morgan Creek Road, Panther Creek Road and the Salmon River road. Once on the Panther Creek Road, we encountered no one. Easy graded gravel road.

Angel lake! Beautiful but crowded indeed! We stopped there last year on our way home from Wyoming/Montana/Idaho trip. I'm was surprised so many people drove all the way up that road (you feel like you may fall off the side, as my wife put it). We did find solitude at sunset and sunrise and I caught and released a few dozen trout from the fly rod there.

Love following along on your adventures, thanks!

The final chapter, Part Three is completed and posted to our blog. The first post above has been updated with the link added. We hope you enjoy dodging thunderstorms with us. :)

A fine journey eloquently recorded! You saw some beautiful country, and we’re sorry you didn’t make it to Fort Sagebrush. Thanks for letting us tag along!

Great trip reports. The Big and Little lost ranges are underappreciated when viewed from the valley bottoms. Thanks for the reminder.

Also regarding the BLM campground at the base of the Ruby Mountains: 'Any port in a storm!'

Beautiful waters! Aren't those rubber mesh nets a blessing. No more snagged hooks and the composition is better for the overall health of the fish. What a delightful trip for you guys!

Yes another great trip.The lakes/meadows/mountains all very beautiful.
I am surprised that there are even any fish in those high lakes.
There must be enough food to over winter.Are the lakes stocked ?
Thanks for taking us along.

We drove some of that same area along the Salmon River on the Idaho
scenic route and spent a night in one of the riverside sites west of Challis.
Not much traffic on our trip but it was mid Sept.
Frank

Thx monte/julie. another good report. multi-faceted. i am stuck with 8 wks of hyperbaric chamber daily sessions, so.... with weekends only available, not getting out much. ugh. all is well.
greg

Back
Top Bottom