If You Could Live Anywhere...

clikrf8 said:
My favorite landscape photographer, Galen Rowell . . .
. . . Check him out.
Galen has been one of my favorites and and his photography an inspiration for me (Skyrock, Alabama Hills, Yosemite). I did a lot of climbing photography in the 80's and had friends that climbed with Galen and always felt that our paths weren't that far apart. Over the years I've signed into summit registers in the Sierra bearing his signature. He was an accomplished climber with many first ascents in the Sierra. It was quite a loss when he and Barbara went down in their plane. I enjoyed reading her book, Flying South http://www.amazon.com/Flying-South-Pilots-Inner-Journey/dp/1580082823, an epic 25,000 mile solo flight to S. America and back.

If you are traveling through Bishop and can spare half and hour, I highly recommend a visit to http://www.mountainlight.com/

Returning to the subject of where to live: Bishop gets mighty hot in the summer, at least 90F + A lot of folks prefer to move up the hill toward Crowley for cooler summers and in the winter it's considered a 'banana belt'. Alternatively, Mammoth can (not this year) get huge dumps of snow. I love the East Side, but ultimately prefer to live on the western slope for greater access to cities/coast, but still within easy reach of Nevada/East Side.

Great news. My nephew has been upgraded to stage 2. They had found a lump in another location on his knee but it turned out to be from an injury and was not cancer related. He has begun radiation treatment and is getting injections for a year that will have him feeling like he has the flu.

I do believe this has altered my sister's priorities and she will retire to California, not remain in Hawaii as previously planned. So, we will all somehow relocate to be near each other or at least an hour or two from Sacramento.

Thank-you for all your suggestions and we will be sure to wander around the area this year on our way south and east.

Take care.

Back
Top Bottom