Im new! whats the deal with airbags

msnowblondie11

So Im getting an alaskan for this winter and Ive never had one my dad is doing the same he has a cummins and I have a chevy silverado. He has airbags on his truck but hes rich and doesnt care what he spends... me on the other hand poor college student working at a snow resort this winter and need to figure out the air bag situation. 1. should I order online ( good brands for price) 2. how bad do I need these suckers 3. how must do they cost to install 4. Any other things I should replace shocks ex... my truck has a 4inch lift would it be a problem? Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 150
The weight of the camper makes most trucks, especially half tons like a Silverado, F150, Tundra, etc, sag in back. Many people use air bags to raise the back of the truck up to a normal position. It is important to realize this only levels the truck, it does not make your vehicle able to carry a heavier load. An Alaskan on a Silverado may be pushing your load limit. Depends on what model camper you are getting. Air bags run about $500, installation maybe about three hundred, unless you do it yourself. Not sure if or how they work with a lift. A possible option for you would be to have your springs redone to handle the load. The downside to that is the truck will ride rough when the camper is off. No problem if you intend to leave it on full time. Good luck and happy camping.

I would say stay away from air bags. They work but are prone to failure and when they do, you will have a hard time getting a replacement during a trip. Just happened to me. I now have a Roadmaster Active Suspension assist on my rig. More money but i think a better product.

soughdough said:
I would say stay away from air bags. They work but are prone to failure and when they do, you will have a hard time getting a replacement during a trip. Just happened to me. I now have a Roadmaster Active Suspension assist on my rig. More money but i think a better product.
What type of bags were you running and what was the circumstances that caused the failure if you don't mind?

I blew a bag on one side and a shock on the other. I was finishing the Imogene Pass trail in Colorado and had just completed the Ophir Pass. Very rocky climb out of Telluride up to the Pass but all was going smooth until the eastern down side to Ouray. Lots of off camber stuff coming down the mountain and thats when I noticed a ride change an discovered the deflated bag. I think the offcamber stuff pinched the bag. Upon closer inspection I found the leaking shock on the other side. I don't think the brands, Riderite and basic Bilstein are the problem, just the type. Shocks have about 45,000 and the bags about 30,000 miles. Neither are designed for that much abuse. The Roadmaster assist is all metal and stands a much better chance of holding up. My next set of shocks will be cheap and have a lifetime replacement warranty. I've found none that covers labor.

Back
Top Bottom