I'm pulling the trigger on a titan winch, group buy FYI.

pods8

Contributors
I've spent the last few days reading up on titan winches: http://www.titanwinches.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=2 Seem to have good reviews from the users (here's one thread: My link), I also came across an active group buy on Tacoma World so I'm pulling the trigger: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/group-buys/230933-group-buy-titan-tw12-12-000lb-winch-synthetic-line-tire-deflators.html

Posting it up as an FYI for anyone on the fence for a winch possibly interested since the deal is out there. The basic group buy is for the 12k winch with both cordless and corded controllers and synthetic rope plus a free set of tire deflators for $580candian plus shipping. However I'm going to go with traditional steel cable (I'll only be an occasional user and I think steel cable when kept oiled up will likely last longer for occasional usage and exposure to elements) and that combo is $400 if you email him about it.

I'm also tossing in some accessories which are also discounted: http://www.titanwinches.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=1 Treesaver $25.00, 18k pully block $30.00, Receiver Shackle $25.00, (2) Shackles 4.75T = $8.00ea.

That'll run me ~$500 before shipping, I'm figuring shipping with the extras, conversion fees, etc. will likely be about $150. I'll find out for sure shortly but for a 12k winch and some decent accessories with decent reviews I've finally settled in on my choice for my needs.

However I'm going to go with traditional steel cable (I'll only be an occasional user and I think steel cable when kept oiled up will likely last longer for occasional usage and exposure to elements) and that combo is $400 if you email him about it.

I have had a winch on my vehicles since I was 18.....and I'm an old man now. I currently have two Warn 3000 winches on my atv (front and back), a Warn 9500 winch on my Tundra and a 16,500 Warn winch on my 3/4 Ford.

I have used steel cable most of my life but a couple of years ago I experimented with a synthetic cable on the atv front winch. The synthetic is awesome. I am on the fence about using it for really heavy truck applications....but I love it on the atv. No splinters going through your gloves...nice....and they are much safer when they snap. I've used some of my winches so much that the steel cables wore out and needed to be replaced after two years. After heavy usage, the individual wires on the steel cable start to break and if you are not careful you can get kinks which create weak spots in the cable.

Do not oil your steel cable. The oil will attract dirt and grit....and the cable will wear out prematurely...don't ask me how I know this. Just keep it clean and it will probably outlast your truck.

The cable on the Tundra is starting to get a little iffy....I may replace it with synthetic. I think the synthetic might outlive the steel....and it is much safer and a joy to work with.

From what I've seen the only issues with synthetic is UV degradation and abrasion. Most of the synthetic dealers offer a sleeve on the line for abrasion protection that is also long enough to completely cover the first wrap on the winch drum so it shields the line from UV as well.

For as many times as I've *needed* a winch the steel cable would probably be fine, but I'd much rather carry the synthetic.

I definitely get the appeal of synthetic, esp. just in terms of handling it (flexibility/weight) and if I was planning to use my winch regularly I'd give it much higher consideration. I'm putting on a winch as an added insurance policy and don't plan to regularly use it at this point, so I'm thinking wire is gonna hold up better to the elements it'll be subjected to sitting behind my bumper. Plus I already took the time to rebuild the roller set on my winch cradle so I might as well use that for now (to use syntethic I'd ideally need to make a plate to hold a hawse fairlead on my setup). If it turns out I use it a lot I can always change things up. :)

I switched from steel to synthetic on the Jeep. It is definitely much nicer to work. However, I haven't had occasion to unspool it in a couple years now. It doesn't look that great. I need to unspool it and tug the truck a bit. If it does seem to have deteriorated I'll go back to steel as I just don't (knock on wood) use it that much.

Thats a nice deal on the winch. Don't know much about Titan winches. Wish I had the bumper for the truck already. Thats one thing about the truck. Anyone, any rig can pull my Jeep out. Not quite true for the truck. Give me another year, I might be ready to spend the money.

One thing to consider is that right now your rollers are virgin. If you use synthetic cable first, they will stay that way. Then later if you want to go to steel....no problem.

If you use steel cable first.....they will leave a "signature" in the rollers....rough spots where the pulls became hard....then if later you want to switch to synthetic....you would have to replace the rollers to get back to a virgin state. Rough rollers will eat a synthetic cable in short order.

Food for thought.

Or use small block Chevy wrist pins for the rollers like I did when I built the roller fairlead for the dune buggy's winch. They're too hard for the cable to make a dent in. Don't know if that is good or bad, it just is. :)

I considered the roller situation, but I think I'd rather a hawse fairlead with synthetic anyways. Below are pictures of the winch cradle with and without the roller set I put together for it. I'd likely just make a bracket/plate that bolts through the holes the main rollers go through that a hawse fairlead would bolt to. So still shouldn't be a big deal to switch over if I ever feel the justification.

My winch has shipped already anyway. :)
2012-07-14_11-26-19_585.jpg

Bracket-3.jpg

Repost from my build thread:
A 120lb box of goodies arrived this weekend, and also tweaked my back carrying it so I had to wait till later in the weekend to install. Went with a titan 12k winch. Its an import but of the reviews I've found out there they have been positive so I opted for it.
2012-08-16_17-29-56_95.jpg

Mounted and access to control box I made a bracket for an attacked to by lower radiator support.
2012-08-19_16-58-51_683.jpg

Winch respooled under tension and good to go:
2012-08-19_16-59-05_315.jpg

Back
Top Bottom