In Case Of Emergency, use your camper!

PackRat

We got our first Alaskan back when there were some blackouts and such in the early 90's. We also live near the Open Space in Marin County so fires are always something to reckon with. We joked that the camper would become our "Emergency ResPonse Vehicle"...or "ERP". With that in mind, we kept it topped off with fuel, water and propane, kept some canned goods in there on a rotating basis, some things like rice, etc. as well in sealed containers and a Go Bag for each of us.

I kept a list of what I needed; prioritized on how long we have to get out...the cat/cat food, our keys, medicines, documents, passports, Coleman lanterns, batteries for flashlights/radio, maybe additional food and clothing and such.

The recent fires in CA reminded me that with my purchase of another Alaskan, I need to do this again. In the Santa Rosa area some residents had a matter of minutes to gather the pets (or for some, only their kids) and to get out with only one vehicle...for me that would be the truck/camper. Sleeping in a car ain't gonna cut it, but in really BAD situation, having a home on wheels you don't need to hitch up or back under after raising it up gives you maximum time to getting what you need and getting OUT!

Fire season is coming, but if you lived in say, Tornado Alley or Hurricane country...you may have only minutes or so to leave your home... unless it is right on top of you and you shelter in place.

Just a thought...you should always consider your own camper/truck as a possible shelter for perhaps much longer than you think if things get really rough until the Red Cross or FEMA get some support in your area. That is subject to how many people are affected...if they are overwhelmed or something like an earthquake brings down power lines, overpasses and such, even First Responders may not be able to help you...you need to help yourself! In that case you may be stuck at your house which like others around you, have major damage and you may not be able to drive away so your rig can take care of you right where it is. They say don't expect the Police and Fire to be there immediately...or for a short time after the initial quake. Your cell phone won't work (overloaded or cell towers down) so you may be on your own.

Be sure that your mate and any of the kids with a license are checked out on the rig and know where the keys are and your Emergency Plan dictates where the Rendezvous Point will be if you are split up and the phones are kaput. For those who work away from home, go to a school nearby, etc. they need to know an alternate route to get "home" if the bridges/freeways collapse. If your home is not the RP then they need to know how to get there as well.

So...keep it in mind that your rig is your backup in case of real emergencies and may save you and yours from a lot more inconvenience than if you just grabbed the keys to the Lexus or BMW because they cost more in the first place!

After watching enough disaster movies, you should know that civil law may break down somewhat so getting together for your families' self defense asap is a good idea.

Plan Ahead!

Well the luxury vehicle isn't an option (unless, like me you consider the camper luxurious) but you're right. Always keep mine stocked with a few supplies even though bugging out here in Sac is fairly unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom