In search ideas on customization of a Bobcat or Eagle

mpoliver

Hi All. I have spent the last few weeks reading all the good stuff on this site, thanks All for sharing!

My wife and I are in the market for pop-up camper to put on our 2005 Toyota Tacoma. We have been thinking about getting one for the past several years but I think we are finally getting closer.

If we can find a used Bobcat, Eagle or Fleet that meets are needs and isn’t to far from the Eastern Sierra we would be happy for that.

If we end up going with a new camper I think we will likely go with the Bobcat. We went to ATC’s shop this past weekend and met with Marty. I really appreciated that he seemed willing to work with us and he seemed to give us his honest opinion on various options.

Some things that were looking for and considerations for what might get if we buy new:

· We would like to try and keep the weight and the cost down as much as reasonable.
· We want a comfortable place to sit and cook when the weather is windy, cold and stormy out.
· I don’t think we need a frig (for now we will use a cooler, but would likely upgrade in the future) and I don’t think we need a sink and water tank.
· We are on the fence about a stove and furnace – we like to be outside when the weather is good and were originally thinking of not getting a stove but just using our camp stove attached to a quick connect propane hose (we would get propane tank put in). But after some thought it sounds like a pain transferring a stove back and forth inside and out every time in gets too windy. So I think we would likely just get a stove put in.
· As for a heater we were thinking of just using a Mr Buddy or Wave 3.
· For sitting area, I have seen that some folks on here have gone for a simple bench with cushions on the passenger side, I like this idea because it seems to be a better use of space.
· On the driver side, I think we just want one long counter with space for storage underneath.
· Options we are planning on: auxiliary battery, pre-wiring for solar, Fantastic fan plus extra vent, 110 volt plugs.

If we buy new I would love to do some of the customizations myself, but my carpentry skills aren’t great and I really don’t want to screw it up, so we would likely have ATC do the work. Unless anybody out there who lives in the Eastern Sierra region wants to help me out!

If anybody has suggestions or comments I would gladly take them. Or if anyone is passing through Bishop and wants to tour me around their camper that would be great!

Thanks!

My two cents...

Go with a stove and either a furnace or Wave 3. Leave a space on the driver's side to add an Engel when you're ready for it. Instead of a bench, go with a side dinette style. That keeps feet out of the aisle, and you can see out the window.

A couple of DC and USB plugs would be good additions.

Think about racks if you carry a canoe or kayak, plus it's a good way to mount solar panels. On the solar wiring, ask for larger wire. It may not be necessary, but it sure won't hurt. You might consider a rear solar plug, then use a portable setup. It's easier to track the sun that way.

Do buy or make an 'arctic' pack for insulation.

Marty & Jeff at All Terrain Campers are great at working with your needs/desires. They certainly did a great job for me.

To your points...

1) Light and low cost will be hard with the list of other things you want. However, ATC will be the company you'll want to work with. Check your Private Messages for some extra special secret details.

2), I built my own interior three different times, 1st time as a work truck/camper, 2nd time as a chuck wagon / bunk house for group camping, and now the 3rd time as a more traditional layout, cabinets on the driver's side and side dinette on the passenger side. I really like the side dinette. This is the way the camper will stay.

3) A 12 VDC compressor fridge is fantastic. I will never be without one, ever. I had a sink and never used it, I will never have another in a pop-up camper. A plastic tub that multitasks is what I have now. I carry the 2.5 gallon water jugs found at virtually any store on the planet.

4) On the current build I have cabinets on the driver's side that hold my propane storage locker (outside access), the TruckFridge TF49 (front opening door), the propane glass top stove, the propane furnace. I love the glass top stove and the furnace, I will never be without those in a pop-up camper.

5) Even though I have a propane stove (used sparingly and with the windows/vents OPEN, I don't like having the interior propane burning for a heater. The furnace is a better option for me.

6) Seating area... see #2 above, side dinette for me. As many have done, my table can be lowered into the area where your legs normally go, and with the addition of another seating cushion, I have a bunk bed on the passenger side.

7) With a shell, you can build anything you want and you can change it later. Add things as your ideas come forth and your wallet allows. However, if your carpentry skills aren’t great then paying ATC to do what you want may be your best option, especially if you are thinking of resale value, later on. Several guys have built a long counter top with storage underneath, look for those threads.

8) Aux battery is good, solar wiring is also good, however, ask them to run both a positive and a negative wire, I prefer to not use the camper frame as the negative ground on solar. My electrical set-up is not connected to the truck in any way. I use solar for charging the battery and when I purchased my 12 VDC devices, I carefully counted up my amp hour usage and sized the system accordingly. There are lots of threads on the subject of how to size a solar system with your electrical needs.

If you buy the fantastic fan yourself ATC will install it for you (you might save a dollar or two).

ATC can do the 110VAC as well.

Wish I had a trip scheduled thru Bishop, I'd show you mine. I really should get some photos of my current set-up, however, text is about all I can do (internet wise) from my current travels.

Good idea to work with ATC- we are very happy with our camper and their follow-up customer service.

We have a shell customized to our way of camping. Your goals of light weight and full- build-out are in conflict- compromise will be necessary. The Tacoma's GVWR is pretty confining. FWIW, we are very happy with our shell with some electrical outlets, lights, fridge and a furnace. We travel pretty light. Without cabinets and furniture, there is more room inside. We have a dog and appreciate the extra floor and sitting space. It's a bit more setup/takedown work when you make camp, but we don't mind- it's part of the experience for us. We like living outside.

When we camp, we are outdoors for cooking and everything else. With a good awning, you can cook outdoors even in bad weather. Our camper is used for sleeping and hanging out before bed or for shelter in cold and really bad weather. We did make provision for cooking inside on a temporary counter if necessary but we have only done it once in 3 years. Each person's approach is different so figure yours out and decide accordingly. Lot's of different approaches and good advice here on WTW.

You can check out the details of our camper in the blog linked below, including build details, our awning/screenhouse, and gross weight measurements.

Good luck with your planning and happy camping!

When I built out my Bobcat shell, I wanted a lot of the same things that you're looking for and I settled on this:

http://aimlesswander...mper-build.html

I wanted to go light, agile and simple. I have large, removable plastic bins for storage, a sink with gravity fed water from a 7 gallon jug, a two burner stove top and a large counter. This set up works perfectly for me. I use an ice chest because I've never been gone for more than 5 days without the opportunity to re-up my ice.

The only thing I'd probably change is that I'd get the furnace. I have a Buddy heater and although it works well, it's not thermostatically controlled and it gets too hot (even on its lowest setting), so I'm constantly turning it on and off manually.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I had ATC build an Ocelot with ice box, propane box and side dinette, I really recommend Marty and Jeff if you want to do some custom work. Then I installed the cabinets, two burner stove and we just use 2.5 and 5 gallon jugs with a dishpan for water/dish washing. For a furnace, we started out with a Wave 3, but since we cold weather camp a fair bit (hunting in MT in the late fall/early winter) I replaced it with a Propex furnace this winter and we are completely happy with this furnace. While they are more $$'s than others, they are smaller and we really wanted to save space. Keeping it light and having the comforts is a challenge!

Thanks for all the replies. I did realize when I was tying out what we were looking for that saving on money and weight didn't really fit with the amenities I listed! I know it will just be about figuring out what is the right compromise for us.
I am sure as we continue to look at used ones and think about purchasing new I will have more questions.
Thanks in advance!

Mpoliver - Please keep us updated, I'm hoping to do a similar build with an ocelot.

AlleyKat - what stove do you have? where did you get your side dinette? Pictures would be great if you get a chance.

Groovydad - great build, nice and simple. Like your blog as well, putting your hot springs on my trip list.

Taku - do you have a build thread to see your build?

Thanks all and keep up the good work! I have sold my home and hope to order a camper in august when I move out.

mtnflyer said:
AlleyKat - what stove do you have? where did you get your side dinette? Pictures would be great if you get a chance.
I have one of the SMEV two burner glass top units.
I got my side dinette at the lumber yard, I designed & built my own side dinette. Then I made the cushion covers myself, too.
No photos yet, I've got a really slow internet connection right for the next 30 days or so.

Hey Squatch,

Thanks for directing me to your link.

We're still flip-flopping back and forth with what we want.....our current thinking is to go simple, just a bench (with cushions) on the passenger side that is wide enough that we can sit on (or sleep on) and a simple counter top/cabinet on the driver side. We will bring a camp stove and mostly cook outside unless the weather is too bad and we can bring along a mr. buddy heater during cold weather.
That being said we still haven't ordered anything yet!

No problem. I had been thinking similar. Kiss principle. But I didn't order mine. I found it as is. I haven't had it on trips yet but have backyard camped on the property in it. I think I'm going to like the setup as is. The rollover couch is quite comfy. I liked the idea of the side dinette but sat in one at a show and it was cramped. The couch is big enough to lounge on and makes a twin sized bed when folded out. There is some storage underneath plus the spot for a porta pot or similar.

The stove and furnace also gets you a battery and charging from the truck for the battery. Plus a little storage. Plus the outside box for the 2) 10 lb tanks. The furnace works well and is pretty quiet. We'll probably cook outside most of the time but the stove will be great for morning coffee. Especially in cold weather. I'm personally not crazy about the idea of an extension line off the tanks to run a camp stove. I'd rather just use a camp stove that's self contained. One less leak to be concerned about.

There are also a couple of switched 12 volt outlets on the furnace/stove/propane box.

The idea of a shower is great but I don't think I want the expense, complexity, weight, maintainance of onboard water. For showers I like this for a step up from a solar shower.
http://www.roadshower.com/index.shtml

Same with a built in fridge. chasing ice for a cooler can be a pain. I think ultimately we'll end up with this. It can be used in either of my trucks, the camper, or the boat. I'm pretty sure it will live in the extened cab of the truck. I like the open space in the camper and we have the pass through window.
http://www.truckfridge.com/tf51.html

For hard core wheeling trips or when towing my boat I'll be using my SUV. Nice to be able to use the toys/tools I buy in either.

As for the counter I have a Plano box that normally carries cook stuff and other gear. it fit's fine on top the drivers side wheel well shelf and would make both an instant counter and storage and can be removed and set outside if the space is needed. It's rainproof.

The one thing I do intend to upgrade is to put fans in both roof vents for hot nights on the beach ect.

This is a bit overdue but I wanted to post a few pictures and let people know what we ended up doing.

We searched around for a used camper for awhile but finally decided that because we have a Tacoma we were limited in the size/weight camper we could put on our truck and that going new might be a better fit for us. When I called up All Terrain in early August to ask them a few questions they said their build time was only about 5 weeks...we were surprised that was it and that sealed the deal for us.

We ordered a Bobcat shell with following modifications/add-ons:
  • 2" height increase
  • wired for solar
  • auxiliary battery
  • fantastic fan in rear, vent in front
  • on the passenger side we had them put in a bench that runs the length of the camper and is 22" wide
  • on the driver side we had them install a propane box near the rear (about 12"forward from the rear), and a small counter that is at the rear of the camper. The counter is 20" wide and 30" long. a 20" wide bench runs the length of the rest of the driver side
My reasoning behind the build; I wasn't sold on the couch or the dinette as far as seating and I wanted more isle space to keep the feeling open. I still want to cook outside but wanted to have a small counter to set things on inside or put a small stove on if we wanted to cook inside. I also want the option to sit on the driver side if I wanted. I had All Terrain put in a propane box in case we decided later that we wanted a stove and or furnace installed.

What you will see from the photos is there really wasn't a good spot for the auxiliary battery, so it is in the center of the floor under the front window. I hadn't thought about this when we ordered but without a couch or dinette seat there is nowhere to hide the battery. It looks a bit out of place there but we have gotten used to it....it makes a fine beer or wine glass holder when sitting in the camper.

So we do we think? So far we really like it and we love the amount of space we have. It feels much bigger than we expected. But the jury is still out on if we wish we would have gotten the stove and heater. So far we have only gotten out on a few trips but one of them was a two week trip in the beginning of October to southern Utah. We loved southern Utah and really enjoyed the camper. I think we could have gotten away with having the bench on the passenger ~1" wider to make for a better sleeping spot if need be but we are happy the way it is.

We haven't done much in the way of modifications. We added curtains and some cargo nets. I put some tie down rings in the walls above the bench on the driver side so we have a way to secure camp stove, bed cushions, sleeping bags, etc. while traveling.

We also purchased a Wave 3 with legs and run it off a 1 gallon tank. After our limited use of it we haven't had the same experience as others in finding that it keeps the camper too hot but more on that later.

Truck info:
2005 Tacoma TRD Sport, access cab
Firestone Ride-rite airbags, stock suspension
Toyo Open Country ATII 265/70/17

Well I was trying to upload some photos but apparently I'm not smart enough to figure how without doing one at time and making the photos tiny...I will look into it.

Attachments

• 151009-04230-3.jpg
    151009-04230-3.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 237
  • 151006-04141-1.jpg
    151006-04141-1.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 239
Looks like you have a very livable camper for the two of you.
We also have a Bobcat,full camper and have traveled with it for 6 years over 44,000 miles.Have made some changes over the years but still the basic design.
It has served us well and we enjoy traveling around in it.
No complaints.
I just saw another members (Tuff Guy 62) ATC shell camper yesterday.Similar to what you have done.
He has had it about a month now and has some great ideas to complete the camper.
Thanks for sharing.
If I can give you some ideas please feel to PM me.
Frank

Congrats on the new rig--you'll love it. Maybe we'll see you on the trail if you're roaming around the Sierra.

I think having wiring that allowed you to connect your camper to the aux battery that isn't exposed to the outside would be nice (at least on my older Eagle it's that way because the battery is on the opposite side from most of the wiring). Also, having a connector that will allow you to plug in an external solar panel directly to the aux. battery might be nice too. I just run my wires through the turnbuckle holes but that leaves some 'gaps' in the cover door.

View attachment 22219View attachment 22219
mpoliver said:
This is a bit overdue but I wanted to post a few pictures and let people know what we ended up doing.

We searched around for a used camper for awhile but finally decided that because we have a Tacoma we were limited in the size/weight camper we could put on our truck and that going new might be a better fit for us. When I called up All Terrain in early August to ask them a few questions they said their build time was only about 5 weeks...we were surprised that was it and that sealed the deal for us.

We ordered a Bobcat shell with following modifications/add-ons:

• 2" height increase

• wired for solar

• auxiliary battery

• fantastic fan in rear, vent in front

• on the passenger side we had them put in a bench that runs the length of the camper and is 22" wide

• on the driver side we had them install a propane box near the rear (about 12"forward from the rear), and a small counter that is at the rear of the camper. The counter is 20" wide and 30" long. a 20" wide bench runs the length of the rest of the driver side

My reasoning behind the build; I wasn't sold on the couch or the dinette as far as seating and I wanted more isle space to keep the feeling open. I still want to cook outside but wanted to have a small counter to set things on inside or put a small stove on if we wanted to cook inside. I also want the option to sit on the driver side if I wanted. I had All Terrain put in a propane box in case we decided later that we wanted a stove and or furnace installed.

What you will see from the photos is there really wasn't a good spot for the auxiliary battery, so it is in the center of the floor under the front window. I hadn't thought about this when we ordered but without a couch or dinette seat there is nowhere to hide the battery. It looks a bit out of place there but we have gotten used to it....it makes a fine beer or wine glass holder when sitting in the camper.

So we do we think? So far we really like it and we love the amount of space we have. It feels much bigger than we expected. But the jury is still out on if we wish we would have gotten the stove and heater. So far we have only gotten out on a few trips but one of them was a two week trip in the beginning of October to southern Utah. We loved southern Utah and really enjoyed the camper. I think we could have gotten away with having the bench on the passenger ~1" wider to make for a better sleeping spot if need be but we are happy the way it is.

We haven't done much in the way of modifications. We added curtains and some cargo nets. I put some tie down rings in the walls above the bench on the driver side so we have a way to secure camp stove, bed cushions, sleeping bags, etc. while traveling.

We also purchased a Wave 3 with legs and run it off a 1 gallon tank. After our limited use of it we haven't had the same experience as others in finding that it keeps the camper too hot but more on that later.

Truck info:
2005 Tacoma TRD Sport, access cab
Firestone Ride-rite airbags, stock suspension
Toyo Open Country ATII 265/70/17

Well I was trying to upload some photos but apparently I'm not smart enough to figure how without doing one at time and making the photos tiny...I will look into it.
Nice camper congrats!

Jeff & Marty are great to work with. They'll build exactly what you want. That's why went went with ATC for our Panther. Your specs & design were very similar to ours. We went with a full length 28" wide bench on the PS with a full length counter on the DS.

Attached are a couple of pics of our interior

Attachments

• Panther 20.JPG
    Panther 20.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 180
  • Panther 19.JPG
    Panther 19.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 199
  • Panther 18.JPG
    Panther 18.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 179
Thanks for the comments all.

Tuff Guy 62 - the extra width looks nice! The size of the bench seat on the passenger side looks great and you have room to store the battery underneath.

Looking forward to winter and getting out more!

Back
Top Bottom