In the process of a FWC Hawk flatbed buildout

montana-moods

Advanced Member
This is my first post here but I have been reading comments for awhile now.
We have been thinking about a popup for about 20 years and are ready to go forward.
We met with Stan and Denny at an outdoor sports show recently in Montana and worked out some build details.
We just bought a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel as the base with a soon to be installed Hillsboro Industries flatbed. The flatbed was a choice of convenience, cost and availability. The flatbed so far has proven to be the hardest component to nail down. When Denny gets back from drinking cheap beer down in Mexico we will work out the final build of the camper. (just kidding about the cheap beer) Truck is paid for but we won't pick it up until the flatbed is installed. I will post some progress pictures once we are underway.

We are going to have to dig deep into the bag of nuts we have been storing for many years, and for frugal people that is a big hump to get over.

First off, welcome to the site Drakekath. I'll be interested in seeing your build-up as there aren't many flatbed's on the site yet. Don't forget to post pictures as you get your components, and begin the install.

Look forward to you updating this thread.

KILROY

A little progress on the project. The flatbed conversion is being built by a local fellow and the truck is at the shop now.
I'm going to try and post a picture of the truck before the flatbed.

We are still hoping for a mid April time frame. It still sounds so far away but I know it will be here soon.

gallery_5147_732_33348.jpg

Welcome and congrats on getting over the hump, you can't take the nuts with you. That's not to say you should be reckless with your bag but the fact is none of us know when our game is at the end of the 4th quarter. So don't waste time second guessing yourself and let the adventures begin.
Oh, and don't forget the pictures.
Congratulations again...

If all goes as planned (small chuckle) we will get the Hawk installed in April and just head out from Denny's hideaway in Jackson Hole. We normally spend our winter trip down in the California and Arizona deserts. This year as it will be later we are setting our sights on Utah and parts of more northern Arizona. We are hikers and not too technical mountain bike riders. We tend to avoid the more crowded spots at least at the more popular times.
We would welcome ideas on fun places to explore.

Denny has been really good to work with.

More pictures as the flatbed gets installed.

Next phase completed. We picked up the truck with the flatbed installed. I haven't seen many aluminum flatbeds but it looks to me like he did a pretty good job. I asked for additional supports for the bed.
full

full

full

Next month we should have the flatbed Hawk mounted.
Then off for a shake-down trip.

Back
Top Bottom