Inaugural season and questions

Fred Stevens

Last year I became the proud owner of a 2014 Tacoma and Fleet insert.
Unfortunately because of family issues the camper sat essentially unused last fall and winter; in a phrase, a hangar queen. This year, however looks promising and the wife and I expect to go out for week-long outings to the Sierra, perhaps the Oregon coast, staying in forest service campgrounds. Although I’m familiar with most of the camper’s systems after some overnighters and reading the forum, I still have a couple questions. They mostly have to do with the seemingly nebulous question of tire and airbag pressure. First the numbers. I figure my Tacoma Acess cab truck + 2 passengers, and lightly loaded Fleet should weigh around 5,600 pounds. The tires are D rated BFG AT/KO with a maximum cold inflation pressure of 66 PSI. I have arbitrarily chosen to inflate them to 40 front, 45 rear, and the airbags to 20 PSI. This may be on the low side for this combination, but it does pass the chalk test and the ride is acceptable. I realize that there probably isn’t any one perfect answer on this, but I want to make sure I’m in the ballpark. Any input appreciated.

Fred,I use that same tire and air bag pressure on my Tundra/ATC Bobcat.
I do adjust the air bags side to side.
Usually more on the left.

I make a point of checking the tread depth before and after trips.
So far I seem to have fairly even wear.

Enjoy your rig.
Welcome to WTW.
Frank

Hi Fred,

We have a similar configuration: same truck, camper and tires. We go slightly higher on the pressures: 40 on he front and 42 on the rear for for the tires and 26 on the drivers side and 23 on the passengers side for the air bags.No issues after 2 years with the camper on but like you, we were not able to go on many trips the first year. Bottom line is that I think you are in the ballpark.

Like Frank said,

Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your rig. You will.

- steelhead

Congrats on your new rig Fred - you will enjoy it.

I advise weighing it. Truck full tank. Camper (assuming you have the full regular camper) empty as you may be heavier than your guestimate weight.

Our Eagle shell empty and Tacoma X-cab weigh 5200 pounds. Our full weight for 10 day trip in desert 5900 without people. Therefore I would advise "E"rated tires when those wear out.

Happy camping!

Comment on tire pressures - check the load index of your tires, different than the load range but also found on the sidewall. It will be a 2 or 3-digit number, like 97 or 121. Look up load index inflation tables on the Interwebs. That will tell you the correct inflation pressure for the gross weight of your vehicle. Better than guessing or the chalk test.

Good suggestion by RC to weigh the rig fully loaded as well. Don't guess on the weight, its heavier than you think. Best to know front and rear axle weights as the pressures for front and rear tires will probably be different. Google CAT scale locator to find a public scale near you.

Back
Top Bottom