inexpensive locator

newtofwc

Advanced Member
I am technologically naive. I recently learned of this relatively inexpensive feature/app for smartphone users. Maybe this could be a simple addition to locating where your truck/camper is in the parking lot, or heaven forbid, it is taken by thieves.

https://www.thetileapp.com/

The main issue I saw with it is that it relies on a network of other users to extend it's range. No users nearby no coverage.

LoJack's one time price of $695 and no monthly fees is another alternative.
My fridge, battery, solar panel and charge controller cost way more than that.
Heck, even my propane tank, propane storage, SMEV stove and Atwood furnace, also cost way more than that.

Different technology as it uses Radio Frequency that can be monitored by law enforcement agencies, where... IMHO, most of the bad guys are looking to steal what is valuable to you.

I've used them for several years in several vehicles. It came in handy when one vehicle from my stable was recovered undamaged in about 10 hours.

If you think you'll have problems in the boondocks, get the Spot satellite technology.

I haven't checked but I wonder if having a tracking device installed would lower insurance cost. Alley-Kat, it looks like LoJack would be a great solution for urban areas but might not work well while out wandering.

Last yr we had two vehicles stolen on our street in both cases a key was used. One was a Prius. Owners Daughter had just had another key made by a locksmith. He apparently made two gave her one and sold the other key along with the address where the car could be picked up. The second case was a brand new 5 days home Dodge 1500 pickup. In that case someone at the dealer sold a copy of the key and the vehicle info to a crook. Both cases the vehicles were spotted by police one town over and recovered. The drivers had extensive criminal history.

If I had lots of added gear and time invested into a vehicle. #1 I would have very good insurance and make sure the policy value on the vehicle was correct and not based on a stock, empty vehicle. I would invest in a simple ignition security, fob which is in addition to your chipped key. No fob no start even with a cloned key.

If you were really worried Onstar subscription or tracking device etc. I had my 4runner stolen once. I was more angry about loosing my golf clubs than the truck. Which was found the next day.

CALIcamper,

That unit does look interesting but researching it I found this comment:

It should be noted that this and most other similar devices available today work only on the 2G network, which is systematically being phased out by most carriers by end of 2016. The H2O card mentioned works on the AT&T network. If, like me, AT&T has already phased out 2G coverage in your area, T-Mobile may be an option. If so, look for PTel prepaid sim card, which works on T-Mobile network. Make sure you check 2G coverage in your area before buying, or you will likely be unhappy with the results.

Can anybody shed more light on this?

CALIcamperdad said:
Last yr we had two vehicles stolen on our street in both cases a key was used. One was a Prius. Owners Daughter had just had another key made by a locksmith. He apparently made two gave her one and sold the other key along with the address where the car could be picked up. The second case was a brand new 5 days home Dodge 1500 pickup. In that case someone at the dealer sold a copy of the key and the vehicle info to a crook. Both cases the vehicles were spotted by police one town over and recovered. The drivers had extensive criminal history.
By my understanding lot of vehicles on the older side can be unlocked and started with filed down keys. I believe it is because the tumblers wear out.

The SPOT device looks pretty good. I believe guys on this forum use it to track their trips also.

Back
Top Bottom