Input needed - F150 Crewcab with a Flatbed?

Danieltp

Hello, Wanders -

I have been a lurker for the past two years, following many great re-builds and trips on this forum and other forums. Last summer, I bought an old FWC Granby camper for $400 unseen (had to ask my friend to take a look at it). It is now sitting in my garage as I had other projects to finish up around my house and I'm starting to think about this camper and its plan. Full disclosure here: I have a family, and a full-time job and this build will be slow, but I'm patient and like to do things the right way. I also have access to a welding shop, automotive technology shop and auto collision repair & refinishing shop - I work for Career & Technical Education department at a school.

Now onto the camper -

Bad: The skins and interiors are shot. Cabinets are bad. The condition of the roof is bad.

Good: This camper came with a brand new Rieco jacks, multiple Yakima racks and the canvas is in a decent shape. I was planning to shorten the camper as I was inspired by Polybro's project where he shortened his camper from Grandby to Hawk. This meant that I'd have to gut and reconfigure the camper, so the interior and skins would have to be removed anyway.

My fluid plan - I'd like to make this camper into a flatbed hawk size camper with the intention of traveling with family during the summer.

However, I need some guidance and input - I drive 2010 F150 Crewcab. I have been toying with the idea of trading it in for bigger truck, but the reality is that I do not want to trade it in because it's my daily driver, getting anything bigger would be overkill for 3/4 of the year, it's paid for, and it's still in a good condition.

When there was an FWC shop in Texas a while ago - I spoke with the guy, and he said that my truck could carry a Hawk with reinforcements to the suspension system but the price for a new Hawk was not in my budget at that time. I personally don't like paying full price for anything as well :) I got in touch with Utes flatbed about making a custom size (length would be 6.5 knowing that my bed is already short with 5.5) - the person I spoke with did have some reservations and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to carry anything HEAVY.

My plan/questions here:

1. Get Utes flatbed, as this would shed approx 300 lbs off when compared to the stock bed. I like the idea of being able to re-use flatbed, just in case, we move onto to a new truck in the future and keeping the camper the way it is.

2. Add reinforcement to the suspensions (I'm assuming I'd have to add shocks, spring leaf and what else?)

3. Make camper light as possible - I would like to have two beds (one overhang and seats that convert into bed) and cabinets with no doors (my friend has a cricket trailer, and I like their cabinet with no doors design). I'd like to put a 20 gal water tank in the front of the camper with the intention of using it for outside (shower, rinsing, filling up a pot, etc.)

Does this all sound doable and safe? I'm open to any extra input to make sure this set up is safe.

Thank you for your time.

As far as building out the camper, just about anything is possible. A concern for a crewcab, 5.5' bed truck is exceeding the rating on the rear axle. It's going to be carrying more weight than a standard cab or double cab. You will need to keep as much weight forward as possible.

Yes, I got the same concern from Utes representative. However, if FWC states that Hawk can fit on F150 Crewcab with the tailgate down - what is the difference? I would think that Utes flatbed would help by subtracting some weight when compared to factory bed?

It seems do able but how much is all of that gonna cost without adding time and effort for the rebuild? I wonder if you would be better off selling the old camper and using the money from that and what the UTE bed would be and buy another used camper? I know you can get a decent camper for 6K if your patient.

I have an 2012 f150 crewcab 6.5" and just traveled a month in a hawk that was probably way too heavy. It did it and was fine (I did add bags to help). Ive considered upgrading to 3/4 but am in the same boat where its overkill for the rest of the year.

Ive also had a grandby shell that I used with tailgate down and it was totally fine probably because it was significantly lighter also.

FWC dealers will tell you its possible to run a hawk on a 5.5 bed or grandby on a 6.5 bed. Its ultimately up to you whether you want to and feel safe enough to do it.

Driving overloaded is not fun for anyone at anytime nor recommended.

Wow if you have access to all that equipment, I'd do a AL flatbed and mount the camper on that. You'd be lighter than the orig I would think. The truck will handle the camper esp. if you reduce some weight by making it smaller. Now if you go smaller, with kids, it might be tight.

When you've got the bed off, do all the necessary upgrades; airshocks, add a spring, larger gas tank, etc. or those critical things.

Seeing how you already have the camper and the truck, get it to to a scale. First get the truck weight without the camper, then load it up and get the weight on each axle plus the gross weight. Now you will know for sure what you have, and if it's feasible to shed some pounds and rearrange equipment to make your build work.

Daniel,
Welcome to the forum!

I love your idea of making your camper a flatbed mode. If I had a flatbed truck, I think it would be pretty straight forward to convert a Grandby to a flatbed, while also shortening it to a Hawk length.

In my book, if you can imagine doing something, like working on these campers, and have some ability, go for it. I can also say there was a whole lot I didn't know when I started my project, and still a lot I don't know, but you certainly learn as you go, and when doing a restore, you pretty much only need to please yourself. In the end that's all that matters.

My pickup is a 3/4 ton F250, crew cab, shortbed, with air bags, E rated tires, and recently new Bilstein shocks, and it handles great. Last weekend I was able to get a rough estimate of my campers weight, which is between 750-800 lbs as a shell, with one battery, a solar panel, and 2 fans. I figure I'll probably be around 1,100 lbs when I'm finished with inside cabinetry. Thought I'd throw that in if it will help.

Good luck,

Poky

Pax2525 said:
It seems do able but how much is all of that gonna cost without adding time and effort for the rebuild? I wonder if you would be better off selling the old camper and using the money from that and what the UTE bed would be and buy another used camper? I know you can get a decent camper for 6K if your patient.

I have an 2012 f150 crewcab 6.5" and just traveled a month in a hawk that was probably way too heavy. It did it and was fine (I did add bags to help). Ive considered upgrading to 3/4 but am in the same boat where its overkill for the rest of the year.

Ive also had a grandby shell that I used with tailgate down and it was totally fine probably because it was significantly lighter also.

FWC dealers will tell you its possible to run a hawk on a 5.5 bed or grandby on a 6.5 bed. Its ultimately up to you whether you want to and feel safe enough to do it.

Driving overloaded is not fun for anyone at anytime nor recommended.
Prior to buying the camper in New Mexico - I searched for approximately a year and little more, knowing that I'd gut it and make a flatbed out of it. It wouldn't have been a good idea if I bought $6,000 camper for this purpose. I like to build things my way -- I'm that kind of person who can't sit still in home :)

There's a guy who did the switch from hawk camper to flatbed on the expeditionportal.com. I also am intrigued with the idea of having Utes flatbed on my truck for other reasons - I always felt like my factory bed was too deep and hard to reach, even being 6'3" myself. Utes flatbed seems to be much more efficient in many different ways, and this would allow me to keep the flatbed camper the way it is, even if I trade up or make truck switch later in the future.

Agree with you - I don't want to drive overloaded, as I have done this (gravel, flagstone, and etc) before. I forgot to mention bags but that's something that I know I'd need to add to the truck.

PokyBro said:
Daniel,
Welcome to the forum!

I love your idea of making your camper a flatbed mode. If I had a flatbed truck, I think it would be pretty straight forward to convert a Grandby to a flatbed, while also shortening it to a Hawk length.

In my book, if you can imagine doing something, like working on these campers, and have some ability, go for it. I can also say there was a whole lot I didn't know when I started my project, and still a lot I don't know, but you certainly learn as you go, and when doing a restore, you pretty much only need to please yourself. In the end that's all that matters.

My pickup is a 3/4 ton F250, crew cab, shortbed, with air bags, E rated tires, and recently new Bilstein shocks, and it handles great. Last weekend I was able to get a rough estimate of my campers weight, which is between 750-800 lbs as a shell, with one battery, a solar panel, and 2 fans. I figure I'll probably be around 1,100 lbs when I'm finished with inside cabinetry. Thought I'd throw that in if it will help.

Good luck,

Poky
Thanks, Poky.

That's good to know, that your camper is approximately 700-800lbs as shell. When I looked up my truck's max payload - it states 1,680lbs and I figured that I'd have extra 300lbs to play with to that payload by switching the factory bed with Utes flatbed. I'd like to be conservative as much as I can, when adding weight to the camper. I really liked what I saw in my friend's cricket trailer with its cabinet design - Eyeballing it, it looked like 3/8 or 1/2" baltic birch plywood were used with no cabinet doors and it was stiff and sturdy. It was simple & functional.

I'll probably ask you more questions about your build and experience down the road when I start to do re-build with the camper in the fall.

You didn't post what state you are in. Since you mentioned you talked to the TX FWC dealer I'll guess TX. It happens to be where I am and I did a flatbed conversion. I'd check with your insurance company on what it's going to cost you. Unless you can justify it as a farm truck you'll end up with a commercial policy and it isn't particularly inexpensive, assuming you find someone that will cover it. I'm long time State Farm.

We love the flatbed and matching Hawk. Can't imagine running it on a F150. I drove a F150 Supercrew for 235,000 miles as a commuter. I'm now in a 3/4 ton Ram and pushing the upper end of the weight capacity with the camper and gear installed. Our Hawk is fully optioned and weighs in at 1200 lbs empty. The flatbed is aluminum from Alumline. Build thread is on Expo in the pop up camper section but the photobucket change of policy means you won't see any photos until I rehost all my pics and fix the links.

Attachments

• Wst 17  0080.jpg
    Wst 17 0080.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 172
Back
Top Bottom