Inside Shower Tips?

abqbw

I just picked up my new Hawk Front Dinette with an inside shower. Do any inside shower owners have any tips, tricks, or advice about using the shower?

I haven't used it yet and figure a little free expert/experienced advise will be helpful!

Thank you!

Brandon
Albuquerque

I have had my for about 2 years. I have never used the inside shower. I always use the outside shower. I am very worried about water damage and adding all that humidity inside the camper.

cdbrow1 said:
I have had my for about 2 years. I have never used the inside shower. I always use the outside shower. I am very worried about water damage and adding all that humidity inside the camper.
+1 on having the inside shower without using it, (2014 Hawk). We've used the outside shower but prefer using a Nemo Helio shower as we can more easily set up a privacy curtain using available trees and with better footing. We use less water and no need to run the water heater.
https://www.rei.com/product/882468/nemo-helio-pressure-shower

Paul

cdbrow1 said:

Bingo! A solution that creates a bigger problem.

Just pop up a shelter [or not] and shower outside.

But hey, I could be wrong.. ;)

Phil

I have my own design inside shower which I use every night when I am camped in colder weather. I have never had issues with condensation or water damage. The showers are short with about 2 gallons of water. I wouldn't be without an inside shower.

cwd

Thanks for the comments.

I had a new shell model Hawk that was delivered in Sept 16. I used a Nemo shower. After taking a shower in Wyoming elk hunting in 50 mph winds in the sun in 70 degrees temps and almost freezing to death from the wind I bought a shower tent. After not being able to stand the shower tent up because of wind on a whitetail hunt in Kansas in November and an Ibex hunt in NM in December I ordered new Hawk with an inside shower. Here in the southwest and Rockies we have a lot of bad and windy weather. Being a a very active hunter we often get back to camp late at night. It's usually pretty cold and often windy so the inside shower was really appealing to me. I am sure I am going to love showering in cold and wind with the heat cranked on and the lights on. After 40 years of standing at the tailgate in the dark and weather making dinner I was ready for a little comfort.

In really cold temps when the camper water system needs to be winterized I plan on using the Nemo shower with the inside shower curtain and drain. Hot shower in a warm room in winter in the middle of nowhere...That just sounds so civilized!

Exactly our limited experience abqbw. On our 7 week trip last fall, we used the indoor shower, 6-8 times, outdoor once, and motels, park etc, the rest of the time. Hopefully a poor example, because we were on the road a lot more than desired, for repairs, to meet family and friends etc.
Plan to use the outdoor a lot more often when out like we want to be. And got a shower tent for that reason. But when pulling in late, just pulling off the interstate for the night etc, indoor better than nothing, better than going to a motel or park a lot of the time. Never a problem yet with condensation (run the fantastic fan ) or leaks. Even using every bit of the 6 gallon water heater (only because the 40 gallons at home wasn't available :)

I changed out my stock facet for a pull out one. I use it to take a limited shower inside - mostly just wash my hair. This can be done over the sink without spilling much. Then when I want a full shower it can be done outside. This works great for me.

DrJ said:
I changed out my stock facet for a pull out one. I use it to take a limited shower inside - mostly just wash my hair. This can be done over the sink without spilling much. Then when I want a full shower it can be done outside. This works great for me.
That is a great idea! Amazing how refreshing a "head and face" wash can be....

We like our inside shower. I'm still disappointed that the shower pan FWC installed doesn't drain well due to a "back slope". So after every shower out comes the sponge.

Invariably a cold wind would come up with our outside shower and ditto on the shower tent not staying up well.

allanb said:
Exactly our limited experience abqbw. On our 7 week trip last fall, we used the indoor shower, 6-8 times, outdoor once, and motels, park etc, the rest of the time. Hopefully a poor example, because we were on the road a lot more than desired, for repairs, to meet family and friends etc.
Plan to use the outdoor a lot more often when out like we want to be. And got a shower tent for that reason. But when pulling in late, just pulling off the interstate for the night etc, indoor better than nothing, better than going to a motel or park a lot of the time. Never a problem yet with condensation (run the fantastic fan ) or leaks. Even using every bit of the 6 gallon water heater (only because the 40 gallons at home wasn't available :)
I just really like the attitude of using the full 6 gal! Suffering is for people with campers.

Thx for the insight too. Happy camping!

abqbw said:
I just really like the attitude of using the full 6 gal! Suffering is for people with campers.

Thx for the insight too. Happy camping!
* without campers

Howdy

Not to Hijack the thread but I wonder if the Heilo shower owners could comment :

Will the Heilio warm up much if left in the sun ?....it is a cleaver design and that might clench it for me along with the current 20 % discount at REI.

Many thanks

David Graves

abqbw said:
* without campers
Ahh that clarifies it :}.
Yep just when I thought my roughing it days were over, I have signed on with,two different ,week long , kayaking trips on the west coast of Vancouver island. I will be longing for a 6 gal shower, when all i have is a cup of warmed up water to rinse my face with.
All different kinds of fun to be blessed with!

DavidGraves said:
Howdy

Not to Hijack the thread but I wonder if the Heilo shower owners could comment :

Will the Heilio warm up much if left in the sun ?....it is a cleaver design and that might clench it for me along with the current 20 % discount at REI.

Many thanks

David Graves
Haven't tried solar heating. Mine is the green one and I suspect that it would not absorb as much energy as the black one.

I have arthritis in my thumb base joint and would consider getting the newer larger Helio with the screw in lid. The original can be unpleasant pressing in the lid when temp is cool. Young whippersnappers may not notice. :)

Paul

DavidGraves said:
Howdy

Many thanks

David Graves
Yes, the Helio will warm up in the sun. Of course, how much depends on the amount of sunlight and ambient air temperature. When I'm using it on day 1, I fill it with hot water from the house and it will stay nice and warm for the day. For mountain biking in the summer, the water has no problem heating up. During winter if I'm skiing for a couple days, the water is going to cool off at night and is never going to get enough sun to warm up. To fix this, I just add a pot or two of hot water. Only takes a couple of minutes.

DavidGraves said:
Howdy

Many thanks

David Graves
I never used it from sun only but the bag is gray and black and gets pretty hot sitting in the sun. Once a left it sitting out with some water and when I emptied it I remember noticing that the water was pretty warm.

Back
Top Bottom