Installation preperation

cannuk

Advanced Member
Hi Everyone,

I am currently in research mode while I wait for my Eurovan Camper to sell so I can fund my new Four Wheel Camper adventure and it struck me, there is very little that I can find regarding installing a used FWC. Does anybody have any protips? I already bought my 2014 Tundra (I am looking for a hawk of course) and I am wondering, is installing the eyelets something I can do ahead of time? Is there a template for the location? If not, how did people who bought used handle installing the eyelets at the time of purchase? It seems like if you have to wait until purchase time you may wear out your welcome at the previous owners house and be dependent on them having installation knowledge? The same question goes for the wiring. Any stories, tips or feedback would help quench my thirst for FWC knowledge. And if you know anyone in the market for a Eurovan, even better :)

I took my Tundra to the local FWC dealer and them do the wiring and install the tie downs for me. They called the factory (or already knew) the locations for the tie down points. The wiring is pretty straightforward with a 3-wire Atwood female connector installed in the front driver side of the bed.

cannuk said:
Hi Everyone,

I am currently in research mode while I wait for my Eurovan Camper to sell so I can fund my new Four Wheel Camper adventure and it struck me, there is very little that I can find regarding installing a used FWC. Does anybody have any protips? I already bought my 2014 Tundra (I am looking for a hawk of course) and I am wondering, is installing the eyelets something I can do ahead of time? Is there a template for the location? If not, how did people who bought used handle installing the eyelets at the time of purchase? It seems like if you have to wait until purchase time you may wear out your welcome at the previous owners house and be dependent on them having installation knowledge? The same question goes for the wiring. Any stories, tips or feedback would help quench my thirst for FWC knowledge. And if you know anyone in the market for a Eurovan, even better :)
You can call FWC and they give the measurements for the eye bolts. You can buy the eye bolts anywhere. FWC can also give you insight on the wiring and probably sell you a kit as well.

Hi, cannuk-

AFAIK, there aren't templates but there are measurements and they vary by year, make, and model of truck and model of camper. Stan refers to them in post 7 of this 2012 thread.

I wouldn't hesitate to call for the measurements for your truck even though you're buying used. I believe they take the longer view of supporting the product and have no problem providing the info. I bought my Hawk used and have called / emailed a dozen or so times in the last year and a half as I've done re-hab work on it.

Having said that, I don't think I'd actually drill until I commit in some way to a specific camper. Use the info to find the exact locations on your truck and look under to decide what size/shape washers / backing plates etc you want, etc, and figure out where you'll get the eyebolts, backing plates, etc.

You'll also want to research bed mats and risers (i.e., some means to block up the camper a couple of inches to clear the side rails of the truck bed) and make your decisions.

As far as wiring, you might start by making a few calls to local RV shops that sell / service truck campers for quotes once you've done some more research on the topic here on WTW to have an idea what to ask them to do. (I'm thinking battery isolators, wire sizes, in-bed trolling motor connector, etc). If you live within, say, 100 miles of an FWC dealer, you might want to call them first. If you can do the work yourself, all the better.

Tip on searching WTW: use Google Site-Search. (That means go to Google, type in the search term(s) you want to find and then the string "site:www.wanderthewest.com".) Take advantage of Google's advanced searching features to improve your results.

Also-- link to your Eurovan ad?

-Old Crow

PS-- Good luck on your search for a camper!

Back
Top Bottom