Installed elec stove igniter on my 2013 Hawk

billharr

Finally got around to installing the stove igniter in my Hawk, just about $20.00 at Walmart
sml_gallery_1903_712_37128.jpg

After measuring and remeasuring install took less that two hours including making the brackets.
sml_gallery_1903_712_23927.jpg

sml_gallery_1903_712_18012.jpg

Just enough room between the valves to fit the igniter module.
sml_gallery_1903_712_11279.jpg

All done
sml_gallery_1903_712_50772.jpg

See it work here. The wife is going to like this.

Hi Bill,

I bought the ignitor a while back but haven't done the mod yet because of needing to build something to attach the ignitor to. Your photos really help so now I can go ahead with this. I have noticed on this stove that the area by the knobs gets hot while in use. This is where you installed the starter button. I like the idea of not drilling a new hole in the cabinet for the starter button, but wonder if the heat could be a problem. Why did you mount it where you did?

Thanks, Ted

Ted said:
Hi Bill,

I bought the ignitor a while back but haven't done the mod yet because of needing to build something to attach the ignitor to. Your photos really help so now I can go ahead with this. I have noticed on this stove that the area by the knobs gets hot while in use. This is where you installed the starter button. I like the idea of not drilling a new hole in the cabinet for the starter button, but wonder if the heat could be a problem. Why did you mount it where you did?

Thanks, Ted
Because it fit, just not a lot of places on the stove when the module would fit. I did not think about heat there. I will have to see if the heat is a problem, will post up if it is.

I had though about building some style of switch that would close a contact when the knob was turned to "light". I did not have a switch small enough to fit and buying two would cost as much or more than the ignitor. Also would have to make a battery pack and solder the contacts in the module with wires to the switches. Gave the wife options and she said a button would work.

Ted I used a panel punch to make the hole so the area would be flat and clean. If you do this put the cutter on the top. I had it on the bottom and the label pulled and wrinkled. Minor but if you look close you can see it.

Panel punch
images

Edit: My module did not have a ground wire in the package. I used the wire for the short ignitor, cut and put a connector on it. I was able to use the screws that were on the stove and did not have to drill any holes. Only hole is the one for the button.

Ted said:
Hi Bill,

Thanks, Ted
Ted when I installed mine a few years ago,I just drilled a hole in the cabinet face ,in my case next to the battery/water monitor.
No need to drill into the stove and I didn't even think about a heat problem but no need the button is away from the stove top.
Works great most of the time.
It seems though when in cold temps the stove is harder to ignite. Seems strange haven't figured that one out yet.
Frank

Thanks Frank. I did this mod in our previous camper and always thought it was one of the best mods we did. No more messing with matches or lighters. On that one we did the button install in the cabinet and I figured I would do the same this time. But when Bill posted we couldn't help but notice his button placement. Mrs. Ted isn't exactly thrilled when I am drilling holes in the cabinets, especially in our new camper. So the option was something I had not considered. I don't have a panel punch, though, so may just stick with Plan A and put the button on the cabinet.

Ted said:
Thanks Frank. I did this mod in our previous camper and always thought it was one of the best mods we did. No more messing with matches or lighters. On that one we did the button install in the cabinet and I figured I would do the same this time. But when Bill posted we couldn't help but notice his button placement. Mrs. Ted isn't exactly thrilled when I am drilling holes in the cabinets, especially in our new camper. So the option was something I had not considered. I don't have a panel punch, though, so may just stick with Plan A and put the button on the cabinet.
I don't know why the igniters aren't offered from the factory as standard or options.
Seems like a no-brainer.
Oh well,we just do it ourselves.
One of the best mods after the lifting struts.
Frank

TED,
You don't need a panel punch; a step drill bit worked for me to drill into the front panel of my Atwood stove.

There was another thread about installing igniters on the stoves, but I can't find it.
Anyone else have a link? It showed photos from several members, but it's not this thread.

Andy I remember seeing it too, it is where I got the idea. I could not find it when I did my install. I did bookmark the unit (Walmart) where he go the igniter. I believe his button was mounted below the stove. I did look at mounting some kind of switch on the knob so it would work like a stove at home. There is not a lot of room under the stove, it just fits where I put it.

The igniter does work great.

Lighthawk said:
Bingo! :D :D :D
I was looking everywhere, but couldn't find it. Thank you, Bill.
Easy to install Andy.But don't throw away the matches.
I have found that sometimes the igniter doesn't work. Seems like if it's cold in the camper or camping at higher altitude you have to click it several times.
Frank

Yeah, we'll keep our lighter nearby.

I followed Bill's advice and used an electricians punch to make the hole through the stainless on the top of our Suburban stove.

I ordered a Grill Pro 20610, which is what I thought you ordered, Frank. The odd thing is that the two igniter leads have different tips. One had a wire bent 90 degrees, but the other is just a stub only a quarter inch long. I can't get the spark to reliably aim to the gas jet with the short wire. :oops:

If you look closely at the image you can see the two igniter wire tips are different.

Andy looks like you got a Piezo style ignitor. This is make a spark one time when you push it. Tips looked to be sized for a BBQ grill and the side burner. The kit I used has a battery (AA) and continues to spark as long as you hold the button.

It comes with two long and one short tip
k2-_02c88a3c-5f9f-4ffb-9e5a-15bc106d1b63.v1.jpg

I like your set up better. The piezo is a bit loud, if your partner is still asleep and you want some coffee. Unfortunately, I am ordering a second $11 grill pro just to get another long probe.

Back
Top Bottom