Fantastic Fan PWM modification

crashmaster

Advanced Member
I rarely use my Fantastic Fan because speed 1 sounds like a jet on takeoff roll at about 85% thrust. I wanted to use the fan without having to put in earplugs and still have it move some air through the camper.

I looked through a couple of other threads for this topic but was never able to see an easy to understand wiring procedure. I found one on YouTube that was easy enough to understand so even I could do it. I just did the mod today and so far it works very well and I cannot hear a hum or buzz from the PWM. The fan can easily be put back to stock wiring in just a few minutes if desired.

Both the 3 position speed switch and the fan direction switch still function like they do pre-modification. The PWM also has its own off switch.

However, this is only a 2 amp PWM with a self resetting fuse, and the fan can draw 3 amps on higher settings. I only tested it on max speed for a few seconds, probably not long enough to heat up the resetting fuse. If it doesn’t work for my purposes I can easily replace the PWM with one that can take higher currrent. Since I only use the fan on low settings this 2 amp PWM might work out

I was originally going to put in a new MaxxAir but decided to try this out and so far it’s works well. Really nice to have 100% fan speed control.

Here’s what I ordered online

RioRand Low Voltage DC 1.8v 3v 5v 6v 12v 15V Motor Speed Controller 2A PWM 2PCS
Amazon.com

However it is only a 2 amp PWM so you may need one that operates at higher current if you like to run the fan at high speed. There are similar 5 amp models available.

ANCIRS 30pcs Semi-Insulated Piggyback Spade Connectors, Quick Disconnect Piggyback Spade Assortment Kit, Female/Male Cable Crimp Terminals, 22-10 AWG
Amazon.com

Some 16 awg wire. Black is (+) White is (-) in my 4 wheel camper.

And some liquid electrical tape to protect the PWM board from moisture

STAR BRITE Liquid Electrical Tape, Black - 4 OZ Can with Applicator Brush - Waterproof, UV-Resistant, Dielectric Sealant for Wires & Cables, Marine & Home Use (084104:cool:
Amazon.com

Last edited:
The RioRand speed controller is limited to a 2A current draw. Doesn't the fantastic fan draw more than that? I'm too lazy to check right now, but I think it's higher. I worry that an overloaded PWM speed controller will have a high failure rate.

Personally I never sleep with the fan on. We just leave the fantastic fan lid up and a few windows open. We've never had a condensation issue.

The fan draws around 3 amps. The PWM has a 2 amp self resetting fuse. Seems to still work ok on the low to medium speeds I used for a couple hours. I didn’t leave it on high speed for long enough to heat up the PWM resettable fuse polymer to its amorphous state.

In any case if it doesn’t work out for me I can easily replace this 2 amp PWM with a 5 amp model, but so far its working for my purposes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom