Installing and removing Hawk

photohc

I'm new at this and still in the exploration stage of buying a camper. I'm pretty much decided on getting the Hawk to be installed on a F150. My question at this time is: How practical is it to install and remove the camper? I anticipate using the camper maybe 5-6 times per year but during those off camping times, I would like to remove the camper and store in my garage. Any comments on real world experience would be appreciated.

Takes us about 30 minutes to have the camper off the truck and on the dolly. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour to have it back on the truck and ready to go.

I'm still relatively inexperienced when it comes to loading and removing my Grandby. I don't leave it on because I don't want to haul it around when I'm not on a trip. The most difficult part is backing the truck with only an inch clearance between the jacks and the truck bed. It will be an expensive mistake if I ever get it wrong. The most time consuming tasks are cranking up the jacks and tightening the turnbuckles. The turnbuckles are a pain, but I haven't figured out a quicker system. I leave the jacks on because I don't want to hassle with them. However, don't do any serious 4-wheeling.

I think it would take an hour to load if I had to do it solo, but I always have help. Removal goes much faster. Just don't forget to unplug the electrical connection.

Thank you all for the real world feedback. It sounds like this is a practical situation. I happen to live in an area that don't allow RV parking for more than 48 hours. Not sure if the camper on the F150 counts as that but I figured I wouldn't want to carry the camper all over town running my errands during the non camping periods. Thanks again. Harv

I'm new at this and still in the exploration stage of buying a camper. I'm pretty much decided on getting the Hawk to be installed on a F150. My question at this time is: How practical is it to install and remove the camper? I anticipate using the camper maybe 5-6 times per year but during those off camping times, I would like to remove the camper and store in my garage. Any comments on real world experience would be appreciated.

I see you want to store your camper in your garage. Are you sure you can go in and out with the camper on the truck? Most residential garages aren't high enough. Then, you're looking at a heavy-duty rolling cart - hope your driveway's level. Good luck!

I have mine off for the winter now, 30 to 45 minutes on and off is a good estimate. I put mine on a dolly and keep it behind a fence on the side of the yard. Use a cordless drill to lift/lower the jacks speeds up the process. I also live in a HOA that does not allow RV's outside, they do not consider the 4WC on the Tundra an RV so no hassle, there is another Hawk down the street and he leaves his on all year.

Bill in Stockton

I see you want to store your camper in your garage. Are you sure you can go in and out with the camper on the truck? Most residential garages aren't high enough. Then, you're looking at a heavy-duty rolling cart - hope your driveway's level. Good luck!

You are correct, my garage is not tall enough to drive in with the camper. Yes, I will need to unload to a rolling cart first. The driveway is has about a 1-2% grade sloping to the street. Do you think that will be a problem?

I have mine off for the winter now, 30 to 45 minutes on and off is a good estimate. I put mine on a dolly and keep it behind a fence on the side of the yard. Use a cordless drill to lift/lower the jacks speeds up the process. I also live in a HOA that does not allow RV's outside, they do not consider the 4WC on the Tundra an RV so no hassle, there is another Hawk down the street and he leaves his on all year.

Bill in Stockton

Thanks Bill, thats good to know. I think I'll give the HOA a call to confirm in my case. Harv

FYI For several years I worked as an industrial electrician and worked on jobs all over the country part of that time I lived in an old 8 foot cab over camper and got pretty good at getting it on and off.
1. If you are using tripod jacks make sure the 2 legs are parallel to the the truck there is just enough room to pull out with out running over one of the feet.

2. Find the middle of your bed and paint a stripe down it do the same on the front of your camper. Now just line up the stripes and back under it as long as the stripes are matching it should slide right in.

3. The first time you pick it up once the camper is going to clear the bed so you can safely pull out mark the jack so that the next time you pick it up you'll know how far you have to pick it up.

4. Never depend on the jacks alone to support you camper always lower it down unto something steadier a couple of years ago I was in a hurry and thought I would be back in a week and left my Grandby up on the jacks as it would happen I was unable to get back home right away and the wind blew it over 2 of my jacks are totaled and the mounts on the camper are all bent and I haven't had a chance to look at the wood yet.

FYI For several years I worked as an industrial electrician and worked on jobs all over the country part of that time I lived in an old 8 foot cab over camper and got pretty good at getting it on and off.
1. If you are using tripod jacks make sure the 2 legs are parallel to the the truck there is just enough room to pull out with out running over one of the feet.

2. Find the middle of your bed and paint a stripe down it do the same on the front of your camper. Now just line up the stripes and back under it as long as the stripes are matching it should slide right in.

3. The first time you pick it up once the camper is going to clear the bed so you can safely pull out mark the jack so that the next time you pick it up you'll know how far you have to pick it up.

4. Never depend on the jacks alone to support you camper always lower it down unto something steadier a couple of years ago I was in a hurry and thought I would be back in a week and left my Grandby up on the jacks as it would happen I was unable to get back home right away and the wind blew it over 2 of my jacks are totaled and the mounts on the camper are all bent and I haven't had a chance to look at the wood yet.

Thank you for these suggestions. The paint down the bed is a great idea. I will be lowering it on to a rolling cart as I cannot leave it outside and must store it in the garage.

This seems like an excellent idea, but I'm having a hard time picturing how / where to 2 painted lines match up.

[/quote]

What have you placed under the camper? I put my Hawk up on jacks today. Didn't seem too sturdy. Giving very serious consideration to your suggestion.
armando

Back
Top Bottom