Instant Oameal

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
Last year I found Nature's Path instant organic oatmeal at Costco, and it's both tasty and easy to prepare. And, like many things you buy at Costco, you'll never find it there again. When I ran out recently, I searched the Internet and found that you can order it from Walmart. While not my favorite place to shop, I do like the oatmeal.

It's non GMO and vegan if that is important. You get Apple Cinnamon, Multigrain Raisin, Flax Plus and Maple Nut. No, I'm not a granola... The oatmeal is just good.

Now, I just need to find a place to store it. I bought 2 boxes with 48 packets each.

You can usually find stuff like that on Amazon.

The same thing happened to me with Kodiak Flapjacks last year. Costco carried them. I fell in love with them and then they stopped carrying them. I found them on Amazon, but fortunately Costco started carrying them again, so I bought 2 boxes.

*2 on the Kodiak Flapjacks. I've learned to always buy a lifetime supply of anything I really like at Costco because it usually disappears as soon as I realize I like it. Of course with Costco product sizes, that is usually no more than three or four purchases of the item. :p

Instead of instant oatmeal that I used to eat regularly, I find I like the Bob's Red Mill Old Country Style Muesli. It's really good, easy to prepare, and sticks with me all morning.
http://www.bobsredmill.com/old-country-style-muesli.html

Paul

With all instant oatmeal I discard the box and stack them in a large-ish Tuperware container.

Sounds good!

I always have 2 or 3 boxes of Trader Joe's Instant Oatmeal with Flaxseed on hand. Add a 1/4 of wild blueberries to sweeten it up.

Nice to know Nature's Path is good and available through Amazon so it can be dropped shipped when traveling.

Hmmm, never been a huge oatmeal fan but I know it is good for us health wise. Maple nut sounds good. This post got me thinking though. If I'm boiling water for my coffee anyway why not boil more and get 2 things out of one boil. I may have to get some oatmeal for future trips.

ETAV8R said:
Hmmm, never been a huge oatmeal fan but I know it is good for us health wise. Maple nut sounds good. This post got me thinking though. If I'm boiling water for my coffee anyway why not boil more and get 2 things out of one boil. I may have to get some oatmeal for future trips.
I ate it everyday for about 2 years straight (plain with a few raisins). I hate oatmeal now :p

Honestly I think it is the best breakfast for you in the world and you can add anything you want.
The best thing about it is you never crave simple carbs when you eat it and it really does keep you satisfied for hours.

I never thought about if it was tasty or not. I just always eat the stuff, 1 bag, but, often times two bags. If you're heading to the gym, a long morning hike, whatever, not much better food to stay with you (in the gut) all morning. And like others have said, boiling water for 2 things (my pour over coffee and instant oatmeal) is easy.

ETAV8R said:
<snip> If I'm boiling water for my coffee anyway why not boil more and get 2 things out of one boil. I may have to get some oatmeal for future trips.
bingo!

Bill D said:
<snip>
The best thing about it is you never crave simple carbs when you eat it and it really does keep you satisfied for hours.
Yup, my Dad said, "It sticks to your ribs" meaning you had added an all day log to the fire for fuel.

3 packages in the morning with whatever fresh fruit is available.............UPS stops about everyday so might was well bring some fancy goatmeal along. Thanks for the post Mr. Sage.

Advmoto18 said:
I never thought about if it was tasty or not. I just always eat the stuff, 1 bag, but, often times two bags. If you're heading to the gym, a long morning hike, whatever, not much better food to stay with you (in the gut) all morning. And like others have said, boiling water for 2 things (my pour over coffee and instant oatmeal) is easy.
Yep, that's what Ms. Tuff Chick and I do. Just boil water & go. Typical breakfast for us consist of instant oatmeal, fresh fruit or Greek yogurt and instant Starbucks coffee. No fuss, no muss, no dishes (paper bowls) and we're ready for the day's adventure.

So tonight I picked up some maple/brown sugar oatmeal at trader joes. Since I saw the "maple/nut" flavor mentioned here I've been thinking about the maple nut bars we had in our MRE's when I was in the Corps. I loved those things. So just now I looked up the "natures path" mentioned here. Heck I eat granola from that brand already. Pretty good stuff. So should I return the TJ's and go get Natures Path?

ETAV8R said:
So should I return the TJ's and go get Natures Path?
Eat and enjoy. Nothing wrong with most of TJ's products. Then buy you some NP.

I prefer the flax seed instant oatmeal. Tends to have more fiber and less sugar than other add-on oatmeals.

Just took a look at NP on Amazon. Much, much cheaper to purchase directly from Nature's Path web site. Free shipping on orders over $45. That's a month's supply of oatmeal!

Most negative reviews of both TJ and NP flax oatmeal is the sugar content; 11g and 10g respectively.

I burned out on instant oatmeal mountaineering: 3 pack + powdered milk + boiling water + force it down before it freezes = yuck!

When not making eggs and bacon, I go with Bob's Red Mill 5 grain or 8 grain + heavy cream. I takes a few minutes to cook but I'm not in any hurry.

jim

Back
Top Bottom