Instructions for installation of Yakima roof rails/tracks

steve33

I've searched here and googled, and have not been able to find actual instructions for doing this. I have a newer (2014) hawk, seamless/screwless roof, so will be drilling. Any links to a how-to would be appreciated.

I would chat with the factory.

They do a lot of installs and warranty them, and would probably tell you the type of (butyl) sealant strip they use under the rail, the type of (SikaFlex) sealant they use on the screws, and the size of the screws themselves, and why they use a silicone sealant around the tracks (cosmetics) after the tracks are attached.

Steve,

I couldn't find the post, but sometime in the past, it seems like there was a response to this question.

It involved carefully measuring where you want to position the tracks on top, then measuring the last hole on each end and estimating from the inside where the last holes would be, drilling a very small pilot hole from the inside through the center of a roof slat, and through the roof strut, up through and passing into the roof skin. The second hole would need to be exact in length, center to center, of last track holes on each end. Then you can mark a straight line on top so you are sure to hit the ribs under your one piece roof skin, for remaining holes. The slats are 1 1/2" vertically so you need that much drill bit exposed plus a little more to pass through.

Butyl tape under the track, sealant along the the edge periphery of the track, and sealant in each screw hole as you place fasteners in the track.

This is for reference. I would try to get a how-to from the factory, either FWC or ATC, and see if they recommend a method similar to this.

Poky

Back
Top Bottom