Insurance for my wonderful new FWC?

Advmoto18 said:
USAA underwriting does vary from state to state depending on state insurance commission/regulations.

But, I have noticed USAA is moving a lot their direct non-automotive (motorcycles/ATV/etc) underwriting to Progressive. Perhaps I purchased my rider prior to a change in USAA underwriting policy for recreational toys. If such is the case, those policies are grandfathered and one may want to think long and hard before moving to a different insurer.

After reading the fine print, I prefer Farmers toy policy to Progressive. Unfortunately, Farmers is not licensed by the NC Insurance Commission so I'm stuck with Progressive through USAA for my motorcycles. Until we relocate to NM...some day.
thanks for the information. I will check back in with USAA to see if they can add a rider in under my truck, could probably save some money that way. will report back if anything interesting comes out of it

My insurance is USAA. Our FWC is covered under my truck whether it is on the truck or off the truck. I had conversation with USAA last night to confirm. We are from Indiana and I do believe that there are differences between states. jd

Wanted to report back on USAA camper insurance via a truck policy rider. New resident of Florida and it seems that the state of Florida not possible through USAA. They are much more likely to do travel trailers, slide in truck campers are in a bit of a gray zone with USAA, and they could probably only provide liability through such a means, but no personal property or collision/damage coverage to the camper itself. So, sticking with the farmed out progressive policy for the time being, which isn't too expensive really. Funny enough, the rep mentioned that such a rider may have been possible in California (former residence) after all, I guess I didn't have the right representative on the horn the first time. So, if you are a CA resident and have access to USAA, a rider on your truck policy would probably be a good option. Just make sure they are clear about what type of camper you have.

I got a bit of a surprise from State Farm. Our big camper is on a truck policy endorsement. It's covered off the truck only on our property or any place I lease/rent, so if I take it off at a CG, it's not covered. I may look for a separate policy, as SF won't issue one for a truck camper in Oregon.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I got a bit of a surprise from State Farm. Our big camper is on a truck policy endorsement. It's covered off the truck only on our property or any place I lease/rent, so if I take it off at a CG, it's not covered. I may look for a separate policy, as SF won't issue one for a truck camper in Oregon.
Steve, check on a rider for your existing policy. Riders are generally less expensive than a stand-alone, specialty policy. While such a rider is offered in NC, OR may be different.

peabee said:
Hello,
I just spent a fairly sizeable chunk of change for my new Finch. She's wonderful and I've already had a couple of terrific adventures. I'm wondering if anyone has had good/bad experience with insurance providers that they could share? I can insure her through my truck's carrier but also thought I should ask the group about specialty providers. Thanks in advance! Paula

attachicon.gif
IMG_2017.JPG
I was an insurance agent for 20 years and my best advice is to talk to your agent. Coverages will vary between insurance companies, often mandated by individual state's insurance regulations. So you could have State Farm and coverages could vary from Ca to Utah to Minnesota in order for the insurance company to comply with each state's regulations. If your company allows it, just add the camper on the same policy as your truck - there would be separate deductibles for comprehensive and collision. A separate policy might cost more as you're paying for an additional policy fee, possibly an agents commission, and often times the insurer will be a different company from your current one. My company also offered a separate policy which was appropriate for motorhomes and RVs that offer additional coverages beyond the scope of your vehicle policy but not really applicable for a camper. Your truck policy should cover property damage and bodily injury at no addition cost while it is attached to your vehicle. I've read from other posters that their homeowners insurance covers the camper while it is off the truck - be very careful with this- most policies exclude coverage for any vehicles,campers,rvs,trailers,atvs,snowmobiles- period. When you talk to your insurance agent or other company representative, take notes, ask for written confirmation to establish a paper trail. Insurance coverages can be complicated and often times you'll get wrong information from a new person - especially if it's a call center rep where the average experience is less than 6 months. Last note - if your insurance company knows you've acquired your new camper, you are on a specific timeline to initiate coverage. Hope this helps. Enjoy the new camper and happy adventures!!!

Back
Top Bottom