Insuring a FWC through USAA

I finally found some time to speak with USAA relative to truck and camper insurance.

They would not let me in the front door, so to speak, as I have not served in the Military nor been a Federal special Agent.

I let them know that my father served, my uncle died serving, my brother served and my wife worked for the Federal Govt.

No budge...no quote.... no business for them from me.

Oh Well...at least they don't beat around the bush.

David Graves

Wow! I have had USAA for a long time. I got them to add our Hawk camper to my policy but it costs me $4.5/mo Not sure how Wallowal got USAA to add his Hawk at no cost. Maybe they think it's a pull behind camper. Are you sure your policy reads like mine below?

Miscellaneous Vehicles on this Policy (Opens pop-up layer)
Add Vehicle

2009 FOUR WHEEL POP CAMPE 6179KC
$ 27.48per 6 months

Deductibles
Comprehensive 500 / Collision 500

travel_trailer.png

VIN
6179KC

bike4mee said:
Wow! I have had USAA for a long time. I got them to add our Hawk camper to my policy but it costs me $4.5/mo Not sure how Wallowal got USAA to add his Hawk at no cost. Maybe they think it's a pull behind camper. Are you sure your policy reads like mine below?

Miscellaneous Vehicles on this Policy (Opens pop-up layer) Add Vehicle

2009 FOUR WHEEL POP CAMPE 6179KC
$ 27.48per 6 months

Deductibles
Comprehensive 500 / Collision 500

travel_trailer.png

VIN
6179KC

No, they explicitly knew it was a slide in; in fact they said it was covered with collision, comp and PL/PD same as Tundra whether it was in the Tundra or out of the Tundra....the declaration seems to be the binding document...on mine it says "Veh 03 [which is my Tundra] includes one or more camper , which are covered on this policy".

Just for drill, I will call them tomorrow to again confirm this does cover the Hawk and to find out if I can increase the coverage for the Hawk to replacement value not ACV.

Phil

I have Erie Insurance. When I joined USAA to get the military discount on my Ford Truck I had them quote me some insurance rates. They were way higher than Erie.
I had my house robbed last year. Erie treated me very well, no hassles.
I have my Bundutec as a rider on Erie for an extra $100 a year.
Will stay with Erie as long as I can....

Bike4mee,

Hawk coverage with USAA..ACV.. Insured on policy for Tundra with no additional cost..

"Bodily injury liability limit:
$500,000 each person /

$500,000 each accident

Property damage liability limit:
$500,000 each accident

Comprehensive deductible:
$100

Collision deductible:
$500

Additional insured:
2016 4 WHEEL CAMPER HAWK"

Still going to check on replacement cost for Hawk as new cost has increased from 2016 to 2021 by $10K and ACV would make the difference in replacing Hawk probably closer to $15-20K. Will check with Progressive through USAA [have my motorcycles with them].

Phil

Thanks Wallowa! USAA was thinking and charging me as if it was a pull behind camper. Now it's just part of my trucks policy. That saves money. Good post guy

After reading this tread I went to Progressive online and took about 5 min. to get the quote attached. It covers my 2000 Hawk for ACV that I set at $9000 for $173 per year with low 250/250 deductible. Could not have been any easier! Before I buy the separate policy what do you think, missing anything? Looks good to me. And BY THE WAY, my insurance agent (company) would not cover the Hawk.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 32
And I did not name the RV on the policy, Progressive had a drop down menu for Four Wheel then Hawk then it said 6.5 bed. So they have it in there system already!

When answering the questions as I went through Progressive did ask the agreed value but this looks to be actual cash value so I might give them a call and see if it's a totaled do they refer to the 9000 I stated or go through the process of "looking up" the value at the time of loss.

DavidGraves said:
I finally found some time to speak with USAA relative to truck and camper insurance.

They would not let me in the front door, so to speak, as I have not served in the Military nor been a Federal special Agent.

I let them know that my father served, my uncle died serving, my brother served and my wife worked for the Federal Govt.

No budge...no quote.... no business for them from me.

Oh Well...at least they don't beat around the bush.

David Graves
That's odd- my sister is insured through USAA and they cover her because our father was a Marine, 21 years..
I find it humorous she uses USAA because she is the most liberal military hating person I know :LOL:

Like others I was told by State Farm my ATC and my Grandby were covered as "part of the trucks, they reside on". When my ATC isn't on the F150 usually a RSi SmartCap is on and that alone is $3500.
State Farm won't provide many details and finding other insurance is on my list of things to do.

SkyP said:
That's odd- my sister is insured through USAA and they cover her because our father was a Marine, 21 years..
I find it humorous she uses USAA because she is the most liberal military hating person I know :LOL:

Like others I was told by State Farm my ATC and my Grandby were covered as "part of the trucks, they reside on". When my ATC isn't on the F150 usually a RSi SmartCap is on and that alone is $3500.
State Farm won't provide many details and finding other insurance is on my list of things to do.
I along with all my sibs have USAA. None of us served. Our father did. It's a legacy system. Our son now has it too. I'd call and talk to someone else.

I was critical of USAA in an earlier post, this is consistent with my experiences. eyemgh is right, call and speak to someone else. The right hand doesn’t know what the left is doing and for me, that was the problem. As always, YMMV.

I called today and asked that it be named, as @Wallowa's is, under camper body. I got the kind "it's already covered" spiel, but I nicely persisted. She tried to add it as a towed vehicle, but I said it was inappropriate. She drilled down and finally found it.

It is now named, with the same coverage, with year, model and "VIN," at no additional cost. They emailed confirmation (that I promptly printed for my files and my vehicle).

It can be done. You just have to say you know of someone who did is through USAA with the same brand camper, and hold on until they figure it out or get a supervisor who does.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom