Interesting SItes Organized on a Map?

brp

Advanced Member
Hi everyone. I have been searching sites like this one and Expedition Portal for a map that has tacs/pins/indicators of places/items of interest. It would be like as you would find on this site for the national parks, but would also include places/items of interest, called "spots" on this site.

Then, say you are going to Red Lodge MT, on a map you could see all of the places/items of interest. It could include things like:

-Camp Sites
-OHV Trail Heads
-Hiking Trail Heads
-Historical Sites
-Hot Springs & Swimming Holes
-Caves
-Plant or Animal areas/items
-Geological items
-Gear/camping stores
-Even cool, one-of-kind restaurants and bars

Does anything like that exist? If not, could this site do someting like that? I would imagine there would be some type of google map fucntion, with community input. How cool would it be if you could download the info to a smart phone with a GPS and always have it with you? You would touch/click the pin and it would bring up directions/photos/info/etc. Even better, if it had a filter so you would only see the categories you wanted.

Thoughts?

The app Campwhere does that with campsites.

Another App I have is Allstayscamp and RV which works well. I have it on both my iphone and ipad and they make it for the android as well.

Hi guys, I will check those out, maybe get some inspiration. Thanks guys.

I made a small version of what I had in mind. This map can be accessed via Google Earth, which can be run on a smart phone. All for free. Right now I just have 4 items on there, but you get the point. If everybody throws a few of their favorite items into it, we could have a great resource. Open the Overlanding Map when you are on a trip, and see what there is around, cool. I am thinking this would have just the best stuff, things you don't find on tourist maps or are unique/special/etc.

Once/if you have the google map open, click "satellite" in the upper right corner, then "google earth" You may need to download the google earth program.
When you see it on Google Earth, it is really cool.

There are some typos and stuff. This is a rough draft. Thanks

Call me greedy, but I'm kinda thinking any WtW cool places data should be kept to members only.

I think the idea of keeping the map private, or at least items that are not clearly obvious, has merrit for sure.

I have seen lots of vandalized pictgraphs and petroglyphs and it is really sad. I am going to play around with different mapping software and options. Are you guys liking the concept?

I think the idea of keeping the map private, or at least items that are not clearly obvious, has merrit for sure.

I have seen lots of vandalized pictgraphs and petroglyphs and it is really sad. I am going to play around with different mapping software and options. Are you guys liking the concept?

Yes. :)

x2 and I vote for access by invite only

I'd like to be on the member review & selection committee!
...assuming, that is, that I'd qualify for membership. :oops:
:D

Call me greedy, but I'm kinda thinking any WtW cool places data should be kept to members only.

I don't even think it's greedy. I am concerned about the ease in which anyone can GPS their way into what used to be word-of-mouth locations, due to risk vandalism and over-crowding to name a few impacts.

Even though I have an image or two that was used at the Nat Geo site, I thought to myself, "Why would I share my favorite fishing hole with the world wide web??" But, if it's qualified members of the WTW web who share and receive tips, then that's cool. But y'all have to swear not to tell anyone :p

I don't even think it's greedy. I am concerned about the ease in which anyone can GPS their way into what used to be word-of-mouth locations, due to risk vandalism and over-crowding to name a few impacts.

Even though I have an image or two that was used at the Nat Geo site, I thought to myself, "Why would I share my favorite fishing hole with the world wide web??" But, if it's qualified members of the WTW web who share and receive tips, then that's cool. But y'all have to swear not to tell anyone :p

Exactly. I've come back to too many places that I "discovered" way off the beaten path only to find them suddenly popular, with obvious traffic and its effects.

I love the idea, but would propose:
1) by invite only
2) password protected
3) the 'administrators' can see who logs in and visits. That way, a link can't just be passed through the rumor mill and suddenly anyone on the web can access it

Too hard? I bet this sort of access can be created on a google earth project or wiki page, but haven't investigated. Any web admin experts?

Too hard? I bet this sort of access can be created on a google earth project or wiki page, but haven't investigated. Any web admin experts?

Hey Brett,

I use google earth to create personalized maps that I share with my partner. I'm not sure, but I think we both have to have gmail to make this work. But once I've shared a map (which she can collaborate on), I can't control who she could then share with.

Just like telling a buddy about your super-secret hot spring, but instead of word of mouth, there's the risk of going viral via the 'net.

What WTW has now is a google earth map, from which I occasionally harvest places of interest. I click to 'see larger' which opens a larger google map and I'm able to copy & paste. This issue reminds me of PDF's that are protected so you can't copy & paste. I have no idea how this might be accomplished with a map. Just throwing out ideas. :rolleyes:

Lighthawk- I hear ya. I'm going to play with these ideas over the weekend and see what I can find/figure out too. I've shared files with people over google docs and if I recall correctly, you can control who has access, but I have to go back and make sure I'm remembering correctly. There's a way, I just don't know what it is yet. Let's keep the ideas coming.

Here is an update. I have tried playing around at Mapme.com. It seems to be a great concept, but lots of bugs and does not easily "translate" to a map on google earth, even though it is basically produced in google earth.

I want something that can download to smart phones and gps units. Even better, getting greedy here, would be if you could store it on a phone so that when you don't have service, you still have your map.

Google earth works pretty well, has a few limitations, like photo hosting hassle and the font size in google earth

I would also like to have a standardized field of drop down menus. Say your fist pick was "Jeep Trail" then it would ask for distance, then maybe difficulty, then camping availability, for example. Greedy again, a one or two paragraph description of the relevant first hand details would be fine too.

I fully share everyone's privacy concerns and from what I have read with google maps, you can keep a map private. It is only accessible by those that have the link. They described it like an unlisted phone #, so somebody could throw a wild guess out there and maybe find it, but the probability is infinitely small. However, a lone wolf could spill the beans.
Or, they could wreak havoc with the map, if it were arranged so that any person who knew how to view it could also contribute/edit. It could be that members submit places to a moderator(s) that inputs them. Despite all that, I feel that if we got a group of just 10 or so people, we could come up with a great map and have a good measure of confidentiality.

If anybody wants to take a stab at finding the best way to do this, be my guest, I am a total amateur.

Sorry for the long winded email, just throwing my thoughts out there.

Also, if you check out my map, you'll see I added a video to Buckeye Hot Springs. That is a neat feature, opens in youtube.

Even better, getting greedy here, would be if you could store it on a phone so that when you don't have service, you still have your map.

I've been using backcountry navigator to pre-download maps, including google earth maps onto my android phone for a year now. It works!

Also, if you check out my map, you'll see I added a video to Buckeye Hot Springs. That is a neat feature, opens in youtube.

The concern raised about a cool location becoming too well known were triggered for me when I watched your video :unsure: The risk of publishing more links/videos/GPS enabled photos/blogs or written posts, that are searchable via google, the more people will be informed of your/our favorite spots.

The risk of publishing more links/videos/GPS enabled photos/blogs or written posts, that are searchable via google, the more people will be informed of your/our favorite spots.

This is an interesting philosophical issue here. One on hand, this info is going to get out and is increasingly available to those who use a little GoogleFu. On the other hand, I don't think we should help/encourage the spread of it. The spots this group are likely to share will very likely include 1) obvious popular places AND 2) lots of places few have found and popularized before. Afterall, this group is full of genuine wanders who find cool places. We appreciate it amongst ourselves, but we don't want the "I'm too lazy to find something on my own, but hey Google told me about this cool place just a half mile this way, so let's go party there and leave our cigarette butts and wrappers lying around" crowd. To me, the point of this is not just the first type of place which we'll likely already know about, but the second. Security and confidentiality are a must, IMO, even if that means less convenience and usability. Just my $0.02.

This is an interesting philosophical issue here. One on hand, this info is going to get out and is increasingly available to those who use a little GoogleFu. On the other hand, I don't think we should help/encourage the spread of it. The spots this group are likely to share will very likely include 1) obvious popular places AND 2) lots of places few have found and popularized before. Afterall, this group is full of genuine wanders who find cool places. We appreciate it amongst ourselves, but we don't want the "I'm too lazy to find something on my own, but hey Google told me about this cool place just a half mile this way, so let's go party there and leave our cigarette butts and wrappers lying around" crowd. To me, the point of this is not just the first type of place which we'll likely already know about, but the second. Security and confidentiality are a must, IMO, even if that means less convenience and usability. Just my $0.02.

Okay guys, this is one subject I've done allot of soul searching on over the years, so here it goes! I'm an archaeologist and for years the battle has been "Do you show the unwashed and ignorant" all that good stuff and risk getting it destroyed or do not show it and risk getting it destroyed by those same unwashed and ignorant souls because they didn't know how important it was"? Until I went to work for the BLM I wanted it all locked up-only the those in the know who could enjoy all that great archaeology-then I found my first real "pot hunted site" and went on the war path and for many years I spent weekends and many a day doing stakeouts or areal patrol with the cops and trying to catch the bad guys, even did catch a few and went to court and put them away. But at the same time, I had schools showing up at my door, wanting to see sites and wanting to learn about archaeology. On top of this "the public" were always stoping by and also wanting to see all that good stuff and I had my bosses telling me, that "my" stuff was on land that belonged to the "public" and was public whether I liked it or not-besides, they pay their taxes so you had better tell 'em what they should do out there and why it is important to just look at it and not take it or destroy it. Educate the unwashed and all will be well-well that works for most people, but not for all.

So, we worked with the schools, the public, the amateur arks, the Indians and everyone we could think of, to just do that-make them appreciate it and maybe they will not destroy it, dig it up or love it to much. Where I worked, we (the staff) worked together as a group to try and protect and inform the public that this whole system (the birds, the bees, the ark, the wilderness, yes even the cows) was theirs, but they had to work with us or they would loose it! We took the public on regular tours of the public land around here so they could learn what they could do and not do, how to survive and enjoy nature and the rest! Yes we showed some rock art sites, some neat historic places, some great landscapes, how to get un-stuck, even where they could go off-road with their atv's and where not to. From when the snow left 'till it came back, we were in the back country showing the public about their public lands-it even worked sometimes, still had problems. I remember having 37 vehicles following me around the back country as me and the local historian and one of our wild lifers were pointing out the sites and answering questions. Did we show everything out there "No", but maybe one of those "unwashed " following us around would come in one day and tells us about something neat they had found that we did not know about! In conclusion, you can't protect it all, but you have to hope that most people, given a chance, will do the right thing and not blow that rock art away or shoot that wild horse for the hell of it. Sorry for talking so much, guys just remember, someone will find our places no matter what we do, and as that old saying goes " I'd rather have them in the tent pissing out and outside pissing in"!

Smoke:p

Guys-I'm not saying "don't create some type of list and keep it secret", but isn't that the purpose of this site! Those interested in being out there are both reading and taking part in these discussions about these neat places to go and things to see:p . In fact, most of us are going to go out there and respect not only what we learned here and the environment but also those like us who want to enjoy it. I've mentioned before how this site has helped me-an old desert rat-find neat places to go and extra ways to help me survive out there. I'm more with the group that says come on out and if you don't act like a fool, maybe you'll get to see something real neat!!!!:cool:
But remember even we had to start somewhere!
Smoke

Back
Top Bottom