interior lites for eagle

doggoneit

I have an Eagle camper and wish to improve the interior lighting for reading in bed. Any suggestions?

There are many good quality headlamps available. Some can light up the entire camper, They are portable, easy to use and shine forever. You won't need to install or do any additional wiring overhead.

I'm retired and too cheap to replace my perfectly fine Kindle Gen1 for the Paperwhite version.

I use a Belkin LED reading light. I'm not locked into reading in one place or position. Works well clipped to Kindle or back cover of a hardback book. The light clip doesn't work so well attached to paperback or magazines; falls off. For these, I just set the light next to my shoulder and illuminate the reading material.

I updated to LED lights and I have to tell you that the version I got were/are a bit bright. No power usage per se but, wow. If I had to do it again, I'd get something with less lumens.

There are dimmers made for 12VDC LED's (PWM circuits). I used two on the pair of LED ribbon lights that I installed. I did kill one of them with a large static discharge off of me.

Two suggestions I have other than a headlamp;

I still use these even after I got my camper power hooked up. The red setting makes these great to use for night use without attracting too many bugs. I have two.
http://joby.com/gorillatorch/flare
home.jpg

I also like the snowpeak hozuki lantern but try to pick one up during a sale as they are pricey.
http://snowpeak.com/products/hozuki-lantern-es-010?variant=671119965
ES-010R.jpg

I got a couple of inexpensive stainless steel LED gooseneck clamp-on lamps at Lowe's. About $17 each, if I remember right. Each lamp had a little plug-in AC power supply with something like 10 VDC output and an inline switch

I replaced the power supply and switch with a 12 V plug and modified the clamp with a center-off toggle switch and a couple of voltage regulators (8 & 9 V). The result is a clamp-on 12 V lamp with 2 brightness levels. On the low setting, it draws less than 0.03 A.

We clamp them on the lift panel above the bed or on the edge of the pull-out bed above the dinette table. We can turn them off while reading our Kindles in bed because they are backlit.

It was a fun and worthwhile project.

- Bernard

Attachments

• 1 Original Low Res.JPG
    1 Original Low Res.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 2 Inside of Clamp Low Res.JPG
    2 Inside of Clamp Low Res.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 3 Finished Clamp Low Res.JPG
    3 Finished Clamp Low Res.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 137