Intros and looking for feedback

Oryguntroutbum

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and site and wanted to say "hey". I am in the process of looking for a new camper to be used primarily as a base camp for fly fishing trips by myself or with a buddy. I have been looking for some used Alaskans and FWC. I have went and looked at a couple Alaskans that haven't had the structural integrity I'm looking for. I'm not afraid of a little cosmetic work or re-sealing the campers but I don't want to get in over my head.

One of the places I camp/fish is in the far southeastern part of Oregon at a lake nicknamed "Hurricane Lake". On one occasion two different tent trailers in my group got the fabric blown out of their tent trailers. I'm not kidding. Looking for some input as to how strong the FWC fabric is.

Also, for off road camping, is anyone else aware of a well built other brand that I should be looking at? I'm on a bit of a budget so I want to get an older one in decent shape.

Keep in mind it will be going on a 2008 Dodge 25000 diesel with fab bumpers, winch, airbags.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Never once heard of anyone having a problem with the fabric "blowing out".
If it did, I would guess the truck might also be on its side. :(
ATC is another good brand, similar to FWC.

Welcome also.

Luckily Sue & I are both short, so when the gusts hit around 50 mph we pop-down and both sleep down below. It's a little cramped, however it helps keep your marriage young without the cost of a Bed & Breakfast.

Jon and Sue, I can appreciate that. I've been married for 22 years. Not sure I want to try that out with my fishing partner, however :oops:

Thanks for the input so far. I welcome any links to campers for sale that you folks think may be a good deal. I'm trying to keep it $3k or under. I have a 26' travel trailer that I use for family stuff. Just looking for a small rig for quick weekend getaways or manly guy trips into the wilderness.

Welcome, I'm also a fly fisherman, along with a bunch else.

Our Eagle has been through 50+ mph winds while setting high on the jacks, no truck holding it down, with no problems. I did worry a little and out in the darkness and rain did go and lower the jacks some, but it was not moving at all. The top was up and had no problems. It's been through some pretty good winds while on the truck too crossing the US. Years ago I had a Toyota Chinook which was also a pop up, with not as strong a fabric. It went through up to 80 mph up in the Northwet in the many years I used it with no problems with the fabric up. I'm sure it's possible to find enough wind somewhere to be a problem, but as someone else said, less likely to rip the fabric out than have the rig blown over. And neither seems to be something people experience.

Somewhat you do want to decide on what equipment you want onboard. There are a number of sizes of FWC campers, and it's harder to put as much in the smaller ones compared to the larger ones. The camper is a package of equipment packed in limited space, so has to be planned to enjoy. It's all about using space and keeping the weight reasonable.

My Eagle I bought used, it had no need of any repairs, was in excellent shape, is a 2007 shell model. Buying a shell model is like buying a blank slate as to what it will become. The original owner only added a bed shelf all across the lower camper, no appliances except the standard lights and a fantastic fan. He had several kids who used the lower bed area and he and his wife the upper. Eventually they outgrew the Eagle. It did have the optional sliding front window, Yakima rack rails, a set of mechanical jacks, and the fantastic vent fan added to the basics for a shell. That sliding front window is actually a critical thing to have already on the camper, it would be tough to add one later. With it you have the ability to send warm and cold air into the camper from the cab as needed when traveling. I got the boot for mine to seal that opening and the windows are always open and connected in mine. As mine is a shell, and shells don't have the frame much designed to fit the appliances it's a challenge to work on to do what I want.

I've already replaced the rear door in order to add a screen door. I'm in the process of adding propane system, water tank and pump, 200 amp hours of house battery bank and electric distribution for same, hookups for charging those from the Ranger it's going to be used on. 110 volt connections and battery charging from that as well the few times it will be available. 12v/110v Compressor fridge, 2 burner cooktop, Propex heater, outside shower with tankless hot water heat, microwave (which will have a big inverter to power it for the short intervals needed). While trying to preserve enough lower bed so my wife and I can have a choice of sleeping up or down together. I will be putting in the lift struts as I'm old enough to need the help lifting the top. Later I'll add solar charging, but at first primarily depend on the Ranger to keep the house batteries charged. Will be adding more outside LED lights spotlight and good light for backing up out in the bush at night. I've already changed all the Eagle's lights over to LED to cut power usage. We will primarily be using the Eagle for photographic forays and such custom for what we want. It's quite a challenge to fit all that into the Eagle and it will not be using the standard appliances for most of it. We do not expect to be where there is a regular campground very often, we tend to vanish away from people. A bigger camper would allow fitting easier, but would not fit through the narrow back roads we so frequently are on. Even with the Eagle some places we go into now will be written off.

So, think through just what your ideal stuff will be in the camper. Then when you do find campers to look at you can make a better judgement as to what value to you the camper you are looking at has. Appliances can be a major portion of the total cost. Don't be surprised to have to drive a fair ways to look at one and buy it. And be ready to do that in a hurry, they tend to sell quick. I drove from Georgia to California to get mine. Though having to drive that far is more than usual. The eastern US does not have a lot of these campers, much easier to find in the west. I camped in mine for over a week before even getting home with it.

It's an adventure in itself trying to find a used one, or deciding on what to put in a new one if you have deep enough pockets. Even before you get to use it. It took me the better part of two years to find mine. Now I'm just pushing hard to get it all ready for use, there are still wildflowers out there, and the winter frogs are starting to call.

Keep an eye on craigslist in the areas you are willing to travel to go get one.

This site can be good, when they update it.

www.usedfourwheelcampers.com

If you want to see our new campers up close in person (or ask used camper questions), we will be in Portland in early Feb.

Pacific NorthWest Sportsman Exposition

Feb. 6th – 10th

Portland Expo Center, 2060 North Marine Drive, Portland, OR 97217

:)

Keep an eye on craigslist in the areas you are willing to travel to go get one.

Here's links from my hunting list for finding a camper. Every one of these at times had ads for FWC campers in the time I was searching. I generally tried to check all of them at least daily.

This searches all the craigslists of the US. Try using something like "Pop Up Truck Camper" for a search.
http://www.adhuntr.com/
It was this one that finally found my camper (on the other side of the country)

This is another forum group which can be useful about these campers:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/75-Pop-up-Truck-Campers

The gear exchange is where Wanderthewest used camper ads are supposed to appear and where they are usually found:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/forum/15/

This is not the most active site, but does list used FWC
http://www.usedfourwheelcampers.com/page4.html

To not have to look through too much you should be fairly precise in your search criteria. Things like truck popup camper instead of just popup camper for instance (the latter will get you tons of popup trailers)
http://www.rvtrader.com/

http://claz.org/rvs.html

http://rvhunter.com/

http://www.reachoo.com/

http://www.smartcarguide.com/popup-truck-camper

Thank you everyone for all the input. And thank you Stan for the heads up. I got your PM bu can't seem to find a way to reply in my phone. I'm looking at a used one that the owner says is in good shape but will need the front wall support panels replaced. I'm not sure what the technical term is for that piece. Is that something that I can make or does it have to be bought from the factory? And out of curiosity how much is it to replace the fabric if eventually needed?

Thanks again to everyone.

Edit:
I did some more research on this forum and found the build info for the lift panels. Seems pretty involved. Might need to look at buying from the factory if the price is somewhat reasonable.

Bummer. Went and looked at what I hoped was going to be a good deal on a Hawk. Found a rotted out floor and interior panels. Mold throughout. The search continues. Looking at a really nice Alaskan NCO but I would prefer the FWC.

Back
Top Bottom