Iota float for long-term shore power

Hello,
I have a 2017 Grandby that was wired for solar. It's on a barge headed to Seattle right now so I don't have the exact model of Iota controller in front of me.

Last year I had two AGM batteries put in to replace the ones that shipped with the camper and the battery installers said not to hook them up to shore power for more than a week. This winter in storage I took the batteries out and put a battery tender on each one.

My question: Can the 2017 iota chargers manage shore power for my AGMs for two or three weeks?

Another question: Is there an Iota add-on that will tend the batteries without taking them out and putting a tender on each one?

Thanks!
Michael Stallings

My 2018 Hawk came with an Iota charger with the “IQ4” module, which provides float/maintainence cycles (https://www.iotaengineering.com/products/detail/1195167/iota/iq4-smart-charge-controller/4-stage-smart-charge-controller-for-the-iota-dls-great-for-storing-flooded-lead-acid-batteries). The IQ4 was listed in the quote sheet. I would expect that yours has the same. I’ve kept my camper on shore power for two seasons of winter storage (6 months each), and the 2 80Ah batteries are performing as well as day one. I’m frankly skeptical about your installer’s advice, but maybe there’s more to it than I know.

Without the IQ4, the installer may have a point. For 2-4 weeks the batteries will be fine with the IOTA regardless of IQ4 or not.

I picked up the 2017 Grandby from the shipper and in my user manual it says I have an Iota DSL-30 IQ4. I could not locate the controller itself, which would make me feel better. Do I have to disassemble cabinetry in order to lay eyes on it as BWHT4x4 did?

Also, in my own research I see that Iota sells an AGM IQ4 add-on as opposed to a regular one. I'm guessing I have a regular one, but I have AGM batteries. Seems like the difference is just there is no absorption level in the AGM unit. Is that going to be a problem, or will the regular one just attempt an absorption level charge after bulk and blow right by it to float when it doesn't happen?

I'm sure the electrical wizards are cringing at my terminology, but I hope it conveys my general question.

Thanks!

SleepsWithBears said:
I picked up the 2017 Grandby from the shipper and in my user manual it says I have an Iota DSL-30 IQ4. I could not locate the controller itself, which would make me feel better. Do I have to disassemble cabinetry in order to lay eyes on it as BWHT4x4 did?

Also, in my own research I see that Iota sells an AGM IQ4 add-on as opposed to a regular one. I'm guessing I have a regular one, but I have AGM batteries. Seems like the difference is just there is no absorption level in the AGM unit. Is that going to be a problem, or will the regular one just attempt an absorption level charge after bulk and blow right by it to float when it doesn't happen?

I'm sure the electrical wizards are cringing at my terminology, but I hope it conveys my general question.

Thanks!
I can see and access my Iota by laying on the floor on my back and looking up into the cabinet next to the refrig. However, in order to do what I did, adjust voltage, I had to disassemble the cabinet.

SleepsWithBears said:

Thanks!

I think that means the Iota has the built in IQ4 module. That is what my 2016 came with. On the upside it has the IQ4 module, on the downside you can't change it out for a different IQ4 module.

As Vic said, there is no issue at all leaving it on the Iota for a few weeks at a time.

Also the Iota/IQ4 does not have temperature compensation, so assuming you are in Alaska in the winter, the charge voltage will be a little on the low side, which is probably OK just to keep them from going flat.

Like rando says, almost certainly your charger has the IQ4 builtin. If you watch the video about the DLS 30A they tell you that the label on the unit will say IQ4. It doesn't say which type of IQ4 it is, but it must be compatible with AGM batteries, since Four Wheel sells the camper with an AGM battery.

I took the grill off of the charger compartment and used my iPhone to get a picture of the label.

IOTA link to the DLS 30A
https://www.iotaengineering.com/products/detail/1185671/iota/dls-30a-converter-and-charger/30-amp-acdc-power-converter-and-battery-charger-for-dc-load-operation-and-12v-battery-charging

Attachments

• IMG_6259.jpeg
    IMG_6259.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 42
Charlie said:
Like rando says, almost certainly your charger has the IQ4 builtin. If you watch the video about the DLS 30A they tell you that the label on the unit will say IQ4. It doesn't say which type of IQ4 it is, but it must be compatible with AGM batteries, since Four Wheel sells the camper with an AGM battery.

I took the grill off of the charger compartment and used my iPhone to get a picture of the label.

IOTA link to the DLS 30A
https://www.iotaengineering.com/products/detail/1185671/iota/dls-30a-converter-and-charger/30-amp-acdc-power-converter-and-battery-charger-for-dc-load-operation-and-12v-battery-charging

I was thinking about this topic recently, as I replaced my lead acid batteries with some AGM batteries (my camper originally came w/AGMs) - the data sheet on the IQ4 says that it puts the batteries into an equalization stage after about a week in float, when plugged into shore power.. I know most AGM manufacturers say that equalization of AGMs is a no-no. I did look at what the voltage is during that cycle, it's the same as the bulk phase, which is about 14.8V, less than the voltage that most lead acid batteries would typically use for equalization, so I'm thinking my concerns are overstated. However, the IQ4 floats at 13.6 on shore power, which is higher than my battery manufacturer (Crown) suggests, which is 13.2. Small difference, but I don't know how that will affect the overall life of the two batteries.

Back
Top Bottom