Is A FWC By Definition A "Camper" In Oregon?

Wallowa said:
...The Investigator's interpretation that "at any point" refers to a time when it is measured and not a point of measurement is absurd. The sentence structure clearly shows that "an any point" modifies the measuring/measurement. ...
I agree completely -- it's absurd to claim that "at any point" includes any point in time.

So, until this bizarro "space-time" interpretation is enforced against me I'll continue to obey the common-sense reading of the regulation.

It'll probably take a Supreme Court ruling to decide the issue... ;)

And thanks, Stan, for looking into this. :)

Tell your dealer you will mail in the registration paperwork...then it's up to you what happens from there... :D

Casa,

Dude! Kalifornia is weird! I escaped from that zoo 10 years ago and could not be happier.

Regards Oregon; the Wet/West side [Actually only three cities: Salem, Eugene and Portland as they each vie to become "Berkeley North"] controls the state legislature and has busted their butts to try to Out-Kalifornia on ever issue. They have succeeded and incidentally our Governess wants to put a $2 carbon tax on each gallon of gasoline; so take that Kalifornia!

Your question on registration. My initial cost was to be about $170; with about $80+ of that for a two year license for the "non-camper". :D

Life is good and we are fortunate. And again a tip of hat to Stan, FWC and Jeff; stand-up folks.

Phil

The only reason to title and licence a FWC or an Outfitter Caribou or a Hallmark is to finance it through a bank or credit union. To the Oregon DMV these rigs are simple not campers ----they do not meet the definition of a camper (ORS) when in the down position heading down the road.

I have owned a Outfitter Caribou 8 for five years in Oregon and originally borrowed purchase money from a private party so that I would not have to licence and title my non-camper. Essentially the interior floor measurement from floor to inside ceiling groups these rigs with a canopy for a pick up bed rather than with campers. Some how a camper must be classified as a camper--a line must be drawn somewhere. Otherwise a canvas cot and sleeping bag in my truck bed would need to be licenced and titled by the state. Is this a free country or what?

Interesting thread. Depends on who you talk to at the DMV I guess either or not it needs to be registered. The people I talked to said yes it does. But who knows. I would be curious to hear just one case where someone got ticketed for not registering a slide in camper (any of them).

If you don't have it registered just tell the officer that your borrowing it from a friend in cali? :)

DirtZombie said:
Interesting thread. Depends on who you talk to at the DMV I guess either or not it needs to be registered. The people I talked to said yes it does. But who knows. I would be curious to hear just one case where someone got ticketed for not registering a slide in camper (any of them).

If you don't have it registered just tell the officer that your borrowing it from a friend in cali? :)

No registration on my 2016 Hawk in Oregon...you are close to how to 'prove ownership'. FWC's "Manufacturer's Statement of Origin" is delivered to each new owner with the new FWC camper. It lists who the title was transferred to, model, year of model and serial number. Basically a title and can be used to transfer title if you sell it.

Kinda like getting it in Kalifornica; FWC is in Woodland, Ca. :D

Phil

[What to "tell the officer"? Like Cheech said when officer asked to see his license: "isn't it on the back?"]

I researched this when we moved back to OR from CA a few years ago. I came across a section of the law under large motor coaches that dimensions are measured when extensions ("tip outds") are closed. This makes sense - a large motor coach with a side extension open is too wide to be on the highway without a special wide-vehicle permit and all that goes with it.

See http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/dmv/464.pdf
"The width of 8.5 feet is measured when any expansion sides or “tipouts” are in the usual travel position. The length is measured from the foremost point of the trailer hitch to the rear extremity of the trailer body, not including the spare tire. Tent trailers are measured by overall length when folded for travel."

While height is not covered, it would be hard for OR DMV to legally require height to measured with the "tip out" roof open.

The problem is that when an OR DMV agent is asked, they will cover their butt by saying it's a motor home. This makes sense - suppose a cop cites you for not having a motor home license and you argue in court that some OR DMV a certain OR DMV agent said it wasn't a motor home.

I'm pretty sure Jeff goes the license route because it would be expensive to challenge OR DMV should they come after him - I can't blame him. OR DMV would probably try to charge him the license fee plus penalties for every FWC sold.

Jack said:
I researched this when we moved back to OR from CA a few years ago. I came across a section of the law under large motor coaches that dimensions are measured when extensions ("tip outds") are closed. This makes sense - a large motor coach with a side extension open is too wide to be on the highway without a special wide-vehicle permit and all that goes with it.

See http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/dmv/464.pdf
"The width of 8.5 feet is measured when any expansion sides or “tipouts” are in the usual travel position. The length is measured from the foremost point of the trailer hitch to the rear extremity of the trailer body, not including the spare tire. Tent trailers are measured by overall length when folded for travel."

While height is not covered, it would be hard for OR DMV to legally require height to measured with the "tip out" roof open.

The problem is that when an OR DMV agent is asked, they will cover their butt by saying it's a motor home. This makes sense - suppose a cop cites you for not having a motor home license and you argue in court that some OR DMV a certain OR DMV agent said it wasn't a motor home.

I'm pretty sure Jeff goes the license route because it would be expensive to challenge OR DMV should they come after him - I can't blame him. OR DMV would probably try to charge him the license fee plus penalties for every FWC sold.

Jack,

Not certain what you mean when you say that "height is not covered"? The unit height must be 65 inches or greater to meet the definition of a camper. While we are discussing campers and not motor coaches,
your point that the tip out is not included in width measurements of motor coaches and by inference then pop-ups should not be measured in the height requirement is a good one. As pointed out in many previous posts on this thread the Hawk [59"] is 7" less than that height requirement; hence not a camper by definition and not subject to registration in Oregon.

We bought our 2016 Hawk in Tigard and it is not registered in Oregon, where we are residents [see most recent #28].

For the record a camper dealer [in Oregon at least] is not required by law to register a camper when it is sold by that dealer; but, Jeff and others do it for customers as a service, a courtesy, IF the customer wants to register the camper. Jeff has no liability whatsoever in this matter at all nor does FWC. Registration is the responsibility of the owner of the camper.

Phil

Jack said:
It isn't a motor home with turnbuckles. If you bolted it to the truck, they can designate it a motor home. Bolting is permanently mounted;
turnbuckles are temporary mounts.
https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/vehicle/trailer.aspx

Paul

When you talk to DMV you get "hear say". Not accurate. Go to Oregon law ORS. The vertical measurement is from the inside floor to the inside ceiling when the camper is in the "down the road position." 5.5 feet anywhere inside. Less than 5.5 feet means no state license or title required. Please STOP this talk. We do not want State involvement in our pop up life.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

After all this rhetoric what is the "fine" for being a disobedient soldier in Oregon or any other state for that matter ?

Seems to me, if a "trooper" has the time to stop you and take measurements,
it might be time to take issue with the criteria of the "law".

Mickey

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I seriously doubt any Oregon agency is checking up on this thread.

Back
Top Bottom