is a pop up really worth it?

Boatbuilder79 said:
I think a four wheel camper pop up would be exactly what I want.
The problem is it will cost 15k for a shell model by the time I drive off the dealer lot.

I am confident I can build a hard side with marine grade materials and the same features for under 5k.
I bought my Grandby for $500; not pretty but structurally sound and water tight. Another $2200 finished out the interior. I was camping in it four months after I brought it home.

Boatbuilder79 said:
. . . Anyone have an example of a homemade pop up that turned out well?

The part that I am having trouble getting my head around is a detail for attaching the fabric and having it fold in when lowering the roof.
I don't think this is the best site to ask about home built campers. In the 4 years I have been on here I don't recall any.

Go to a dealer and look at a few different pop-up campers, put them up and take them down; see how the soft side material is attached and how it folds. These campers are pretty simple. On my Grandby the fabric is attached to the roof and camper side under aluminum bands with goo between the layers to keep water out.

If you have the itch to build one - do it. If you want to go camping soonest - buy one. My 2¢.

jim

Really depends on your intended use. I had a hardside cabover in Alaska, and it was perfect for the gravel road camping we did there. But at heart I am a dirt road explorer and my ATC goes places I could never get a hardside in now that I live in the desert SW. I would never go back.

Hello Boatbuilder79
As I sit here thinking of your question, which has had some very nice opinions as to why a popup camper was the vessel of choice.
Your question was a little misleading. You really want to build a popup, but are not sure how to go about it. That's cool there are some YouTube vids where those who are very motivated have used popup platforms and performing resurrection surgery with awesome results.
There are project campers out there and I know there's one with your name on it. WtW has users like any one of us that posts links to popups in their area. Narrow it down to what size you want (truck pretty much dictates that) we'll help you find one I'm sure.

When we sold our class B although, my wife really liked it and drove to different cities doing her bead thing. I kinda felt I was done with RV's. Saw a popup and the light bulb was lit. I started looking, I'll never forget when my wife said don't keep me waiting for ever. ( ok I know I have issues) We now have a really neat Cougar.

Good luck.

Russ

Well put. A beater used FWC or ATC might well be the compromise the OP needs. Get the price down on a proven platform. Then rebuild it to suit your wants and needs. I've done that with cars, boats, tractors and more. Most of my big ticket items actually. My used FWC is kinda the exception to that rule. But the price was good for a nearly new unit and the slightly equipped shell suited me. Of course I have added my touches and more are coming. I guess the difference was this time I started with a much nicer basis and saved myself a lot of work up front.

Boatbuilder79 said:
I think a four wheel camper pop up would be exactly what I want.
The problem is it will cost 15k for a shell model by the time I drive off the dealer lot.
My concern with a taller camper was back road access. We went through several pull behinds before I decided I wanted a pop-up truck camper, just really didn't like the RV lifestyle. I bought a used FWC and sold it 10 years later for more than I paid for it.

If you want a shell model you can build out, check out ATC. Last summer I had a custom loaded ATC built for just a little more than you priced out a FWC shell. ATC is a fantastic small company and are a pleasure to do business with. We drove from Colorado to Sacramento to pick it up at ATC HQ and made a camping trip out of it.

Buying new or used, both are fantastic campers. And my vote is a popup all the way.

My two Abe Lincolns,
What they all said above.
And be honest with yourself about where you want to take your camper. I personally like a hardside at times, but way to many downsides for what I do.
My buddie has a huge lance, slide out, plush etc. Its heavy, crushes his 1 ton dually and sways all over the place where mine tracks really well. Home builts are cool, but if you look around, you can find deals. Plus, an ATC shell is a lot of camper for the $$$
w

The discussion brings up interesting points here; is GETTING there more important than what ya got when ya GET there?

Meaning, a hard-sided Lance or other will be "difficult" at best to get into the back country and feel like you are in a boat. A pop-up will enable you to GET to more remote locations and drive better on the highways and gravel/dirt roads, but require a little set up once you get there.

Compromises abound and especially if you envision buying a shell and outfitting it or stripping one and building to your needs.

Back
Top Bottom