Is it just me?

MDM54

Had just finished a hike and was sitting in the Jeep getting de-organized.
Was ready to get going and turned the ignition - nothing.
Tried again and again nothing.
Jeep wouldn’t start because it was already running!
Is it just me or does anybody else miss the sound of a starter trying to engage a spinning flywheel?
Might have to write an app.

This is fitting for the "You Know You're a Geezer When" thread. When I used to make this mistake, my starter would growl a horrible screetch, but my Tacoma has some sort of anti-geezer override to prevent damage I guess.

MDM54 said:
<snip>

Is it just me or does anybody else miss the sound of a starter trying to engage a spinning flywheel?
In all honesty, that is a sound I wouldn't miss at all. There's something about metal filings falling out of of the bell housing that tells me that engaging the starter while the engine is running is kinda "non habit forming".

Wandering Sagebrush said:
In all honesty, that is a sound I wouldn't miss at all. There's something about metal filings falling out of of the bell housing that tells me that engaging the starter while the engine is running is kinda "non habit forming".
reminds me about learning about an electric fence for the first time........................

So modern trucks have an override preventing the starter from engaging an already-spinning flywheel (a running engine?). Who knew?

I've done it before. Been a while, but that screech is a memorable sound.

Which is pretty much why I turn off the radio, CB, put down the cellphone, and ask any passengers to refrain from conversing at the moment I start the truck and move off from the parking spot. I especially do so when backing up first. I don't multi-task very well and I need as few distractions as possible upon engaging in a crux move.

Foy

I think we've all done it. I got into the habit of looking down at the RPM gauge before I start the truck. Definitely cringe worthy as stated above.

ski3pin said:
reminds me about learning about an electric fence for the first time........................
Getting 'high-centered' while stepping over it as I did?

Getting 'high-centered' while stepping over it as I did?

Not quite. I was in kindergarten and waiting for the school bus with my older brothers. They talked me into grabbing hold of the wire. It ended up being a good lesson all the way around.

Yeah, I would definitely miss it. It's kind of a right of passage, an easy mistake life lets us have without too serious a consequence.

MDM54 said:
Had just finished a hike and was sitting in the Jeep getting de-organized.
Was ready to get going and turned the ignition - nothing.
Tried again and again nothing.
Jeep wouldn’t start because it was already running!
Ahhh. The start of geezerdom, welcome it's ONLY the beginning... best remedy = humor :)

If it makes you guys feel any better I'm 45 yrs old and I've done it a few times.

In my defence though I almost always start my truck with the keyfob, so the odd time I will get in and try to start it although it's already running.

Back
Top Bottom