Is this a good camper?

kbennett2000

Advanced Member
Anybody know anything about Scamper campers? I saw this ad come up today on Craigslist...
http://tucson.craigslist.org/rvs/680965128.html
"1994 Skamper 6 1/2 ft popup truck camper. Sleeps 4,3 way fridge,3 burner stove,furnace,and sink.Includes jacks and truck tiedowns.Lightweight and low profile,great for fuel economy. $750.00"

I know it's not a FWC/ATC, but the price seems good... Is this something that would last a few years until I can afford a "real" camper or would I just be throwing away money on something that's going to fall apart the first time I leave pavement?

As always, your advice and expertise is greatly appreciated!

My Two Cents Worth........again

It's not a 4 Wheeler, that said I don't think you could go wrong for 750.00, If you're handy you can fix almost any problem. It's close to home, it's cheap, and you wan't a camper, so I say why not. The only problem I can see is if you can ask questions about a scamper camper on this site, might break some kind of code or something. Probably be alright as long as it's short term, until you get your new Four Wheeler, which we know you will after you've had that Scamper a while.

It might be a good camper

My first truck camper was a Sunlite, also "very lightweight and great for fuel economy". The definition of lightweight might not be the same for everyone.
The Sunlite was about 900 lbs dry weight and I dunno how much fully loaded for a month and a family of 4. Enough to bring my Tacoma to it's knees, that's for sure.

But it was a great camper to see if this way of camping and traveling is something the family can enjoy before putting down some serious cash for a new ATC/FWC.

Another benefit of starting with something other than ATC/FWC is that you get used and accept crappy quality and workmanship on the campers. Once you get your own ATC/FWC you'll be all smiles when you see how they build the campers, cabinets, seats and benches. I took my kitchen cabinet apart the second week I got my new ATC Bobcat, and I'm still happy and smiling.

So, in essence, I would get this Skamper, use for a few years, see what you like and dislike, learn what you want to have in you next camper and order one day your own ATC/FWC.

If the Skamper falls apart, it's no big loss. Order the shell from ATC/FWC and use all the cabinets and appliances from the Skamper.

Just my two pesos ;)

Like what was mentioned above, you cant buy the appliances and jacks for that much $$

Kris, I hope it was you that bought it. If so, congrats. I clicked your link to take a look and here is what I found:

"To whoever bought the skamper that was on here today I will buy it from you for more than what you just paid. I have been looking for this exact camper for months so that I can start taking my kids with me on trips to the great outdoors.

Anyone else out there that has a pop up truck camper let me know.

Thanks"

Nope, sadly it wasn't me. I think the seller was overwhelmed with callers; I never heard anything back.

It's probably for the best, by the time I factored in the cost of fuel to drive Denver to Tuscon to Denver in addition to the cost of the camper I realized I'd be a decent percentage into the cost of a nice used FWC here in Colorado...

Thanks for your input everyone!

Nope, sadly it wasn't me. I think the seller was overwhelmed with callers; I never heard anything back.

It's probably for the best, by the time I factored in the cost of fuel to drive Denver to Tuscon to Denver in addition to the cost of the camper I realized I'd be a decent percentage into the cost of a nice used FWC here in Colorado...

Thanks for your input everyone!

We, too, went through this exercise. Here's what we finally did: Finding a camper that fit our requirements at a great price but far from home, we decided to drive out with our empty truck and then camp our way back. It was so great an adventure, we might never top it!

(But we're surely going to try! :thumb:)

Mark - Awesome trip report and GREAT photos! What a great introduction to a fabulous new toy!

Maybe I'll luck out and find a clean used Hawk for an unbeatable price somewhere in Alaska, then I'll just have to go! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom