Island in the Sky, The Needles, Moab, and BLM

mrfritz44

Advanced Member
We're still planning a trip into Denver in May, but instead of a Rocky Mt. climb based on advice and warnings given elsewhere, our destinations are unknown. However, on the list are possible visits to Island in the Sky, The Needles, and Moab. We would also like to be somewhat free spirited and understand general locations that offer scenic BLM camping.

Our general route will take us from Denver west through Grand Junction, south along 191 to Monticello, and then east on 160 back towards Denver. The route is by no means firm, but seems feasible over the course of 8 days with some time to explore.

We plan to rent a 4WD vehicle so that mild off-road excursions are an option. Mountain biking in Slick Rock, Moab, is also on the tentative list. Backpacking and tent camping is preferred in remote, scenic locations with vistas. We will no doubt do some day hikes, and we'd prefer to avoid the need for permits unless there's a good chance of easily acquiring one the afternoon before the night we plan to use it.

We'd love to hear some tips you might have from places to stay to attractions we must see. Most of all, I'd like to drive or backpack into a scenic spot with a vista, build a small campfire, and open a beer as the sun sets.

Finally, what can you tell me about the Cathedral Valley loop? This looks like a prefect truck camping destination, at least from my chair, albeit far at 67 miles from the Rt 24 entrance to the Rt 24 exit farther south.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Fred

Some great spots above The Needles in the new Bears Ears NM. Take the Beef Basin Rd. up from 211 and there is quite a bit of exploring to do. You can then exit to the south between the Ears and come out on 95 via Elk Ridge Rd.

Cathedral Valley is a pretty drive and i didn't think it was particularly difficult. The crux is crossing the Fremont River right at the start. There is a campground halfish way through the drive.

Too many places to in the area to try and squeeze things in to an 8 day trip. Best advice is to pick a small area, explore in depth; repeat often, semi-annually if possible.

Fred,

We're going to be in the same area this May too. Traveling with another couple in a car though so no off road travel this time. But I might check out this stuff on a day trip to scout it out.

Cayuse, I can't make sense of your directions. On my map Beef Basin Rd (#107) goes down (not up) from 211 12km northwest of Newspaper Rock. I can follow it on the map to close to Boundary Butte and then I lose it. I can see Elk Mountain Rd further south, and it appears to dump onto 275, not 95. Can you map this out on Google Maps for me/us?

Vic

Vic Harder said:
Cayuse, I can't make sense of your directions. On my map Beef Basin Rd (#107) goes down (not up) from 211 12km northwest of Newspaper Rock. I can follow it on the map to close to Boundary Butte and then I lose it. I can see Elk Mountain Rd further south, and it appears to dump onto 275, not 95. Can you map this out on Google Maps for me/us?

Vic
Vic-
Sorry for the confusion. In this case by taking Beef Basin Rd up I meant in elevation rather than north. It does indeed run Through Elk Mountain Rd, not Elk Ridge Rd. I had forgotten about the little bit on 275 that you drive from 95 because it's a very short stretch.

That's what I get for typing while the coffee is still brewing.

Cheers,
Bob

If you go to Island In the Sky and drive the White Rim Road counterclockwise on the map there is a great campsite called Taylor. It is a single site and not on the main road. It does have a small trailhead parking area for maybe 3 vehicles but only one campsite. There is a pit toilet too. From there there you can hike quite a bit if you like. I hiked to Zeus and Moses. The two prominent stone monoliths nearby.

Great tips and thanks for the replies. I'm mapping out the discrete travel routes on Google maps and will have to get done paper for the trip. We hiked to Druid Arch in Canyonlands in 2014, but what "must see" site would you recommend? I like the idea of wandering, it's just that with only 8 days once a year we're looking for the bang for the buck sights.

Thanks again for the help so far,

Fred

Fred-
If you're renting a 4WD what kind of vehicle are you getting? That will influence the suggestions a bit. One option you might want to consider is to traverse south from Moab through Lockhart Basin to 211. Then you could do the Beef Basin trip.

If you look at Cathedral Valley then you might consider spending some time in the San Rafael Swell. There are other ways in/out of Cathedral Valley than the loop off of 24.

Planning is fun!

Bob

The 4wd will be a full size suv from Enterprise or Hertz. Any such vehicle won't be tricked out obviously, but will have 4wd.

mrfritz44 said:
The 4wd will be a full size suv from Enterprise or Hertz. Any such vehicle won't be tricked out obviously, but will have 4wd.
OK, scratch Lokhart Basin/Hurrah Pass. Beef Basin going south will probably be doable as long as it doesn't get wet. Cathedral Valley should be accessible depending on the level of the Fremont River. Much of The Swell would be accessible as would much of GSENM.

Having not rented a 4WD from a national agency how does their contract read in regards to taking the vehicle off-road? Just something to be aware of.

White Rim Trail requires a permit if you stay overnight, or at least it used to. One woman rode the entire 120 miles on her mtn bike, partly to avoid having to get the permit.

I agree that 8 days is too little time for the loop the OP described, unless about ALL they do is drive and camp. It sure doesn't leave adequate time to bike or hike in any kind of exploratory manner. You can easily spend the entire 8 days just in the Moab area, there is so much land-based recreation. Visiting Canyonlands NP, Moab, and Fruita (great singletracks) would fill 8 days comfortably.

Campfires...don't assume you can have them (high fire-risk state). Check for any applicable restrictions at the time you go.

Also, the advice to check 4WD rental restrictions is a good one. I rented one that explicitly stated the vehicle was not to be driven anywhere except on developed roads. Dirt roads were allowed, but not jeep trails or "primitive" ones. And that was a vehicle perfectly capable of 4-wheeling, not built mainly for skiiers.

Good points on the 4wd rental car policies. If anyone had suggestions on how we could rent a 4WD vehicle from Denver for light use I'm all ears. Obviously we would need nothing fancy, and in fact live the thought of traveling the backcountry in an old hHumvee or Jeep.

Call the rental agency and ask them directly. They won't have old vehicles, unless you use Rent-A-Wreck. Old Jeeps and Humvees are like cult vehicles, anyway.

Cult vehicles? I'm not sure if I should be offended or if thats a compliment :)

Getting ready to do a little work on the drivetrain.

Ha, meant as a compliment. More to the purpose of the post, that they are not generally available as rentals. I think a place in Moab rents Wranglers, though that might be only for short periods locally.

Nice report hoyden.

The trip is booked! We rented a full size SUV and we'll see how it goes.

Besides Neon Canyon, what other backpacking trips end with a campsite near some kind of water source or oasis? We feel the need for a dip at the end of a long hike.

Also, I forgot to ask about recommendations for hardcopy maps and atlases for at least the southeastern part of Utah. It's easy to find some online, not so easy to gauge the usefulness of a particular publication for road and backpacking travel without a copy in hand.

Thanks a bunch,

Fred

Is the FR from Johnson Reservoir to Cathedral Valley CG doable in mid-may? Is there any sort of FR check point along the route for trail conditions?

mrfritz44, See if Benchmark makes a Utah Atlas. They are awesome for finding back country roads, forest land, BLM land, places to camp. We purchased Wyoming & Montana Benchmarks and they helped get us to some very remote places. I will be ordering Colorado for this fall.

longhorn1 said:
mrfritz44, See if Benchmark makes a Utah Atlas. They are awesome for finding back country roads, forest land, BLM land, places to camp. We purchased Wyoming & Montana Benchmarks and they helped get us to some very remote places. I will be ordering Colorado for this fall.
Benchmark definitely has a Utah Atlas

Back
Top Bottom