It Is Summer!

I'd never heard the term "strawberry moon". :unsure: But it's apparently well-enough known (the June full moon) that it's -- along with the solstice -- the subject of today's Google Doodle:

summer-solstice-strawberry-moon-5156509353771008-hp2x.gif

There's a nicely would-up low off the PNW coast today, which seems a bit unusual for this area, this time of year.

VIS4_20160709-1.gif

Western Visible Satellite (GOES West)

This weekend is the Bend Summer Fest downtown, but it's not exactly summery here in Bend: cool, cloudy, breezy with rain/showers last night and more in the forecast. Oh well...seems like there's a similar "festival" every couple weeks, all aimed at getting people/tourists out spending money. :rolleyes:

Just this past weekend it barely broke 70 up here in the Seattle area. Lots different than the rest of the country, and so much better than the past couple of summers with the wildfires not nearly as intense (at least so far in the PNW).

Lower 90s here now, not acclimated to this unbearable heat :p

Meteorological summer is over -- ended yesterday! :eek: Today is the first day of meteorological autumn.

Until this evening I'd never even heard the terms 'meteorological summer' nor 'meteorological autumn' (and the rest of the meteorological seasons), and boy, is my face red!

This NOAA website explains the difference in season nomenclature -- meteorological vs astronomical seasons (which are the seasons most people follow).
Meteorological summer = J, J, A; Met. autumn = S, O, N; Met. winter = D, J, F; Met. spring = M, A, M

As humbling as not knowing this before now is...more humbling is where I finally learned it: From the local TV news weather-lady -- and she's not even a meteorologist! "Today is the first day of meteorological autumn", she said tonight. And I said, "Huh? What's that...?"

I've always considered it kinda odd, kinda off, that summer (that's astronomical summer) begins with the longest day of the year (and winter begins with the shortest day of the year). Seems like the traditionally sunny-season should be symmetrical around the summer solstice (and the less-sunny season symmetrical around the winter solstice) -- the longest days grouped together as summer and the shortest days grouped together as winter. And autumn and spring would group the days of intermediate-daylight hours. As it is now, the last day of winter has as many hours of daylight as the last day of summer -- doesn't seem right.

In fact, there's a traditional holiday called "Midsummer"...but it doesn't occur in mid-summer, it occurs on the summer solstice -- the beginning of summer (on our calendars). :oops: I think somebody, way back when, knew that the summer solstice is the middle of summer -- not the beginning.

I suppose the standard seasons are when they are based on temperature trends (the warmest days are "summer", etc.)...but temperature trends vary a lot while the daylight trends are exact.

Maybe I'll start observing the meteorological seasons -- makes more sense -- to me.

(and after the seasons are fixed we can start working on the decimalization of time and dates ;) )

MarkBC said:
I've always considered it kinda odd,

<snip>

(and after the seasons are fixed we can start working on the decimalization of time and dates ;) )
I'd be real happy if we could simply adopt the metric system. Base 10!!!!!

MarkBC said:
Wandering Sagebrush said:
I'd be real happy if we could simply adopt the metric system. Base 10!!!!!
Not to mention decimalization of the compass, latitude, and longitude.
The metric system is so totally consistent. ;)
Paul

What a difference a few days make -- weather-wise!
Less than a week ago I was making sure I went for my daily walk by late morning to avoid the heat...but today a walk at 4 pm -- the heat of the day -- was (at first) almost too cool and breezy for shorts and T-shirt. :eek:

Well, it is meteorological autumn, so that's probably why.
;)

We are believers in meteorological fall too. We woke up to 19° outside this morning. You could say there "was a bit of a nip to the air!"

Two days ago the late-afternoon high here in Bend was 87°F.
Today at the same time of day it was 63° -- and breezy so it felt colder. And yet it was sunny all day. Apparently the seasons changed yesterday. ;)

There's a freeze warning in place for north Central Oregon, Bend to Madras, from tonight through Wednesday morning.

Open bedroom windows and doors last night brought in the sound of distant thunder and the patter of rain on the roof. It is raining lightly here now. Is this the first official rain of fall? :)

Back
Top Bottom