Jack brackets repurposed

I just bought some 80/20 material to make a rear rack similar to the flat-bed Toyota posted on page 2. I'll be putting my shovel/axe, Mat-tracks, hi-lift, and a trash-a-roo style bag back there. I'm getting the parts pre-cut and anodized black, so it's a 4 week lead time, but I'll post pics once they're in.

Don

-

That mounting of 5 gals gas plus can and bracket would break off the rear corner of the camper before I got to the local Post Office.....on asphalt country roads.

David Graves

Howdy

Yes the jack bracket angle iron are reasonable strong....they are purposed to lift vertically in your driveway or garage.

They are fastened and adhered to the aluminum framing which is less than 1/8 " inch thick and welded to allow flex.

Don't mean to argue....you mileage may very.....I have pretty bumpy local roads !

David Graves

Recently got back from a wonderful trip in Owens/Death Valleys. Five days and four nights consisting of the White Mountains, Volcanic Tablelands, Mono Lake, and Death Valley-Mahogany Flat Campground. I tested out using my Kelty Tarp 12 and it worked great.

20170819_190836-jpg.2294821

20170819_194101-jpg.2294823

DavidGraves said:
Howdy

Yes the jack bracket angle iron are reasonable strong....they are purposed to lift vertically in your driveway or garage.

They are fastened and adhered to the aluminum framing which is less than 1/8 " inch thick and welded to allow flex.

Don't mean to argue....you mileage may very.....I have pretty bumpy local roads !

David Graves
We discussed this in another thread (I *think*). I too would not do or suggest doing that without tying into camper structure at the inner edge of the bracket.

I like the aluminum plate idea posted by EVAV8R.

I bought a quarter inch aluminum plate, but question the need for spacers to keep the plate off the camper wall. In fact, a half inch space would provide leverage for the plate to wobble against the camper.

My plan is to to bolt the plate directly to the jack bracket, which is about 1/8 thick and would keep the plate off the camper by that much. And add some foam padding in that space. Holes would have to be drilled in the aluminum plate where the existing jack bracket bolt heads protrude.

Back
Top Bottom