Jayco Sportster 8ft - Renovation

Hi Cory,

sounds like the Jayco is in the same "great" shape than ours was.

You may load the Pics on an upload server and place the links in here.... I do so as well.

In Germany we have www.picr.de

Trying to upload from Flickr....let's see how this goes....

47577675162_4f339ab29f_m.jpg

BEFORE DIGGING IN

46906189724_2bbbc82895_m.jpg

PASSENGER SIDE CAB OVER
47577674992_5a9436ddd4_m.jpg

LP AREA
33753132848_cf248f32b5_m.jpg

PASSENGER LIFT BROKEN
47577675422_f176fc78d0_m.jpg

REAR PASSENGER
32687931487_022e80dc3f_m.jpg
46906189304_9f61ac8941_m.jpg

REAR ENTRY
32687931467_439d81c59d_m.jpg

DRIVER SIDE NOT TOO BAD
47577674132_c62bac589b_m.jpg

SCRAP PILE SO FAR.....OUTSIDE COVERING WAS SCRAP INTERIOR COVERING LOOKS LIKE

Looks like I can load via Flickr, just not through Tapatalk on my phone....

Scariest part right now is that I am trying to do this outside versus in a garage and there is rain in the forecast for the next few days....looks like tarps are in order for the budget.

I did have a bright spot a few days ago, literally....plugged in the original converter and all works, and interior lights came on!!

I haven't been able to test the stove or heater yet as I need to get a regulator for the LP. The refrigerator will be replaced with a 110 unit I have as I don't trust the original as the past owner said he smelled ammonia when it was turned on last.

Well, got the passenger side completely removed inside and out, as well as the cab side wall, refrigerator, and back wall....didn't have time for pictures as the weather was coming in and I needed to get everything covered back up.

A LOT OF SCREWS!!!! I couldn't imagine all the screws...I haven't found any issues with the staples yet, but I haven't really started removing the "studs".....I couldn't find proper 1"x1.5" wood, so I'll be doubling up with .75"x1.5" studs. It may add a small bit of weight, but a bit more strength won't hurt anything. I'll be gluing, clamping, and finish nailing them together before installing. Hopefully this will be received as acceptable...

The plan is once the "studs" are in, I'll add the plywood outside, then use trimming router to cut out the windows. I'm still trying to figure out how to remove the side wall plywood, and I think it will become more apparent as I slowly take things apart 1 piece at a time...

My big question is removing the lower cab wall. I've removed the passenger side cabinet already, and I am trying not to remove driver side cabinet as it has the heater there and would seemingly be a lot of finicky working that I would like to avoid.

Semi-side note.....is adding to this thread okay or should I start another? I think looking for information on these and finding a thread with 2 builds would be interesting, but I understand the idea of only 1 build per thread....thoughts?

Cory, I’d suggest you start your own build thread, but link to it from here in Manfred’s. It would be great to have two well documented Jayco restoration threads.

You can either leave what you started here, or move them into a new one.

Hi Cory,

we wish you all the best for your restauration and will follow your build thread as well!

We removed the older frame parts with wood we had in stock at home 38mm x 58 mm That is approx: 1.5" x 2 1/3"
These lats were used on all important parts. Some of the original vertical frame parts are left original on ly cut to shape to fit on the bigger frame lats.
We also used very heavy laminated plywood for the floor on the "wings" and the vertical bottom parts.
My Floor itself is made of a plywood/PU-Foam/Plywood sandwich with coating like you find in kitchen countertops.

With all this heavy parts we came out at a dry weight somewhat 1550-1600 lbs.

Manfred65

You do not know how much your project is going to assist me! I came across this project via Pintrest, thank the gods. I recently, this week 4/5/21, purchased a 1990 Sportster 7 the Little Brother to your 8. I am going to need to do several project I have started my own project like yours on here and would love any input/recommendations/criticism that your could provide me along the way. One brilliant fix that you did was use angle aluminum for your corners; I am going to do the same. 1st major project is going to be fixing & painting the jack stands. One question that I have that I did not see, but that doesn't mean that you didn't do it, was did you remove the roof and rebuild it? I am very sure that I will have to do that on mine. Absolutely love the idea of truck bed liner on the roof which I immediately said to myself "DUH!" Much better and affordable that Flex Seal.

Again, much appreciation to your due diligence on your project!

Guy H

Hi Guy,

you are welcome with all question you are going to ask me or Cory.

I covered the roof with tintable Raptor Liner and a little white colour in it. This is the best solution in my opinion.

The old roof was rebuilt but i never brought it to it´s old shape and i always had two leaking spots. Two many screw holes due to the aluminium profile that runs north south on the roof. The roof is built from two sheets of aluminium and the line in the middle where they are connected is the weak point on the Jayco.

We are going to replace the entire roof this spring.

I am importing Bundutec USA Campers to Germany and got some of the aluminium profiles they use for their roof + all the smaller parts.
I think that is my dealer benefit ;-)

Then i ordered a 1" fiberglass/foam sandwich with a reinforcement where the hanging closet is and pre-cut channels for the wiring.
Not a cheap solution but i needed another panel to close the back wall of a box truck that we convert to a RV so i saved 1x shipping cost.

The L-Profils at the corners are not an easy fix. I needed the wide profiles to cover dozens of screw holes from the previous owners. Smaller profiles must work better because they are available of thinner material. It was a hard job to get them on the corners, glue and fix them.

19451412sw.jpg

19523920db.jpg

19523922yz.jpg

Hey Guy,

Ask any questions for sure. I wish I had taken my roof off to rebuild instead of trying to do it from the inside. It definitely didn't come out well and with the minimal difference in effort it would be a much better choice.

Awesome! Thanks Manfred & Cory! And yes, I am going to put in pink or blue foam board when it comes to that "lovely" task! Ha ha ha! Thanks for the lead on the Raptor Liner. I've used Harbor Freight bed liner to varying degrees of success. Guess it matters on the application. But there is zero chance that I'm putting black bed liner on the top of a camper. No! Definitely not for Southern Idaho, Eastern Oregon, of Eastern Washington. Might as well go down to Death Valley for the summer, might even be cooler if I did that! :D :D :D

I'll keep in touch!

I can't remember how much weight I lost after removing the soaked insulation, but it was a lot. The pink is closed cell if I remember correctly. Not sure about blue.

Hopefully you have some buddies to help remove the top and a garage or covered area to work. It is definitely my biggest regret on rebuilding. May still do it if a leak forms. Having a buddy in the industry with all the right sealants for the different areas was a huge bonus.

Hello Again:

In your report you noted that Jayco sent you manuals, instructions and other data. I contacted them and was informed that these were no longer available. Can you please post them for me to download.

Thank you,
alan_h

Hi Cory,
this is great that you have the manual.

Hi Alan,
What Jayco sent me was some drawings of the structure and the roof. Unfortunately i lost the files due to a harddisk crash 3 years ago.

But be sure it was no secret in them. If you pull the aluminium outside off you can see everything an it is all self explaining.
My major problem was ( and still is ) the roof. It is 98% sure that these roof are leaking. Most time they keep the water inside, get heavier and heavier and make the rooflift fail. When i tore mine apart it collapsed. We tried to rebuild it without removing it but there have been two spots where i couldn´t find the leaks. Not even with an ultrasound machine that i normally use to find leaks in our shop. I hope i can find the time to rebuild the roof this fall or winter. I have bought a fiberglass/foam sandwich panel with reinforcement where the hanging closet sits. Using this and aluminium profiles from BundutecUSA i hope to rebuild it...i only need to start....

We love our Jayco and hope to save it for our future trips.

Keep on your good work guys.

Back
Top Bottom