Jerry Can in Your Truck Camper?

I got under the Tacoma yesterday to look for any spots underneath. It looks like there is room for Jerry can along the frame between the left rear wheel and the bumper. I am going to Northern Tool to buy a Jerry can, walk out to the parking lot and see if it fits. I'll return it and do with the Rotopax if it does not work. I'll share the results.

I have looked at that space and wondered about the possibilities. Let us know what you work out.

I'm really considering figuring out how to mount the rotopack between the cab and camper, somewhere in here:

rotostorage.jpg

It would not be exposed to rear-endings, still stored outside, isn't going to get in the way of anything, and I'd have the front wall frame structure to use, including the jack bracket.

And you could put one on each side of the window to even out the weight

I was just measuring, and it looks like I'll have about 1" clearance between the bottom edge of the rotopax and the back window of the cab. I think that is probably enough to accommodate flex of the truck, anyone think differently?

No good idea (or any idea for that matter) goes un-stolen.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200465511_200465511?cm_mmc=Housefile-_GLP_-2012:sleep:ProductTitle&cm_lm=jayaronow@gmail.com&state=AZ&hotline=&market=

I'm really considering figuring out how to mount the rotopack between the cab and camper, somewhere in here

I really like that idea Brett. Never thought about trying to use that space. Like you said, no worries about being rear ended. Plus the weight is way forward. I may need to do that myself.

No good idea (or any idea for that matter) goes un-stolen.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200465511_200465511?cm_mmc=Housefile-_GLP_-2012:sleep:ProductTitle&cm_lm=jayaronow@gmail.com&state=AZ&hotline=&market=

Mounting stuff.

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/products/water-and-fuel-packs/fuel-pack-jr.html

I was just measuring, and it looks like I'll have about 1" clearance between the bottom edge of the rotopax and the back window of the cab. I think that is probably enough to accommodate flex of the truck, anyone think differently?

You would be surprised how much flex there is. You don't notice it much while driving, but the truck bed really moves around a bit, so don't cut it too close.

I have been ignoring this for to long! Before getting my FWC, always had a gerry can or two under the back camper shell-nice and secure! Now with my FWC, I've know better but when traveling carry my can(s) wedged on the camper floor, next to my 6 gal water can, between stuff-never had a problem yet-and its always the first thing out when I camp, but I worry, so here's my first question? I worry that if my drill into the rear left wall (or any where on the camper wall for that matter) so I can install my army jerry can and holder-through the side and into the wood cabinet and put on big washers -will that be strong enough to keep it from ripping out and falling off?-on the same theme, I leave my FWC on the time, so would drilling into the rear bumper through the holder holes to help keep it on be affected by the trucks motion-I know these are dumb questions, but some of you guys are better handy men than I am! If I mount it on the left rear-what about the frig-don't want to put holes in that! Like the idea of using the camper stands to help hold it on, just keep on posting the pictures and maybe I'll see something that i can improvise and be good and safe again!

Smoke

Quick update on my mounting idea. I bought 3 rotopax 2gal water cans and a mount (same size/dimensions as the fuel model). Some good/some bad:

1) The GOOD: Looks like I would have enough room between cab and camper, provided you mount it high (see how my cab curves away from the camper in the pic above).

2) The BAD: Because the rotopax designed the mount to hold it tight, there is little "wiggle" when can is mounted. This means that you need enough room to slide the can off the mount without much tilting. In other words, you need enough space between the cab and the camper to get the can off. So far, this looks to be a very close tolerance and I won't know until I mount it.

Sooo, I may try or I may not. My original plan was to use a flat stock piece of aluminum to go from the jack bracket to the mount point to spread the load between the jack and the tube within the wall. Because the mount point is now higher than the jack, this looks to be unworkable. The wall and frame member would have to support all the weight, which it could probably do, but makes me a little nervous.

But, I do have some other ideas (next post).

My first exercise was to find a nice place for the water cans inside the camper. I came up with the floor under the window. This is a spot between the battery and the hatch, under the window. It is alread dead space to me since the truck is mounted full time now, I don't have to get in the hatch (still can if need be) and under a bench see that doubles as my table top. This space holds three 2-gal cans (only 2 in the pic though) and I will no longer have water cans sliding around back there. Center of gravity is low and centered too.

rotopax-floor.jpg

Next, I could always store a 2-gal rotopax here (below) with no mount. I have a hatch door than securely closes and a piece of firewood in front of the turnbuckle would prevent it sliding down the camper deep into the bed. It would sacrifice some firewood capacity, but there are always trade-offs- one type of fuel vs another in this case.
rotopax-sidestorage.jpg

Having the cans in hand, I looked for other places to mount:
1) To the right of the door is one option.
2) ON the bottom of the door itself is another, but I'm not sure if the door can handle the extra 15-25#?
3) On the side of the camper, between the passenger window and the jack bracket. One can would fit nicely here and not block the side view mirror.

My first exercise was to find a nice place for the water cans inside the camper. I came up with the floor under the window. This is a spot between the battery and the hatch, under the window. It is alread dead space to me since the truck is mounted full time now, I don't have to get in the hatch (still can if need be) and under a bench see that doubles as my table top. This space holds three 2-gal cans (only 2 in the pic though) and I will no longer have water cans sliding around back there. Center of gravity is low and centered too.

rotopax-floor.jpg

Next, I could always store a 2-gal rotopax here (below) with no mount. I have a hatch door than securely closes and a piece of firewood in front of the turnbuckle would prevent it sliding down the camper deep into the bed. It would sacrifice some firewood capacity, but there are always trade-offs- one type of fuel vs another in this case.
rotopax-sidestorage.jpg

Having the cans in hand, I looked for other places to mount:
1) To the right of the door is one option.
2) ON the bottom of the door itself is another, but I'm not sure if the door can handle the extra 15-25#?
3) On the side of the camper, between the passenger window and the jack bracket. One can would fit nicely here and not block the side view mirror.

Wow, keep these posts coming, they get more interestinger and interestinger-may yet find something to try-keep it up and thanks for all these ideas! :)

Smoke!

The Jetta was a diesel that I ran on vegetable oil. I could load up only half of the wagon's back and have about a 2,000 mile range.

I got under the Tacoma yesterday to look for any spots underneath. It looks like there is room for Jerry can along the frame between the left rear wheel and the bumper. I am going to Northern Tool to buy a Jerry can, walk out to the parking lot and see if it fits. I'll return it and do with the Rotopax if it does not work. I'll share the results.

brp - Ever get a chance to figure out more with this Jerry can under the bed idea? Came across this topic looking for a way to secure my scepter water cans in the camper and your post got me thinking of taking on extra fuel storage as the next project. Started thinking along the same grounds back in 2010 with my build thread, http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/52153-New-FWC-Finch-Shell-Build-(2008-Tacoma)?highlight= (post #8), but never followed through with the idea...

My full size ladder makes a great ski, shovel, snow rake, and gas can rack. My truck is diesel but my generator is gas. I may add a second gas can to the upper ladder rung for ski trips this coming winter.

Attachments

• gas container ladder bracket.jpg
    gas container ladder bracket.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 453
Back
Top Bottom