Johnson Canyon in Death Valley

I went up the Warm Springs road through Striped Butte last winter just before the DV Rally. The rocks were not stacked nearly as nice as they are in KC's picture.I think the anti-rock stackers may have been through there.I was by myself and without a spotter I decided to play it safe and turn around.I walked up the road and that one section looked to be the only questionable spot.I have been up Goller Wash before and it is not bad at all.Coming from the Goller side would definatley be easier.I have heard that the rocks have been restacked.Here are a couple of pictures.Geology Cabin and Striped Butte.

Attachments

• phpZ4R9kBPM.jpg
    phpZ4R9kBPM.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 167
  • phphAOtxAPM.jpg
    phphAOtxAPM.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 161
Ok, since we are posting photos of the Stone Cabin (aka, Geologist's Cabin) and the Striped Butte, I'll post one of my own. Both are in the picture, Mengel Pass,too.

Can you find the cabin?

ButteVse2.jpg

Thanks for all the additional information. I appreciate it. I had taken a look at the Internet on the Goler Wash road and the hill up over Mengel Pass also. It does look a bit iffy. We may walk part of it and check it out. It's not in our plans to go out that way but it does make an interesting route from Panamint Valley over into Butte and Death valleys.

Yes Stew, I can see the cabin. Nice photo. You can make out its location on Google Earth also.

Yes Stew, I can see the cabin. Nice photo. You can make out its location on Google Earth also.

That photo was taken from the crest of the Panamint Mountains from an overlook on the road leading east from South Park. You see even fewer people and machines in South Park than you do in Butte Valley.

Good luck on your DV adventures.

Hi All:
Doing some trip planning. Has anyone driven and camped up the Johnson Canyon Road? We've got a hankering to visit Hungry Bill's and additional explorations in the area. Would like to camp close by if possible. Thanks.

YES! I was there last weekend (march 27-28). Names' Dennis & I just joined your group. Camped overnite at the end of the road & hiked up to the ruins, saw the orchard. trees are alive & just starting to bud. Trail is not marked well, lost it twice and had to do some bushwacking. Went about a mile above the settlelment just below the snowline and returned. Stay out of the creek, it is extremely thick and overgrown, plus the ticks are probable just coming in about now. Flowers are starting to bloom everywhere! Also observed hundreds, if not thousands of catapillar sacks breaking open in brush which means the canyon will be full of butterflies within a couple of weeks.
As a side note. A guy and his girlfriend came up overnight in there LandRover; next day I saw them at the intersection of the westend road & Death Valley main road with two flat tires! Both were bald. Hello! what were they thinking! Fortunately, I carry on-board air & a good tire-patch kit and got them going. I followed them all the way to Baker under 45 mph just to make sure they got there ok. Well, they won't soon forget their trip to DV!
You spoke of Telescope peak, have done it twice, from Mahogany Flat, great view with well marked easy trail.
Got lots to share from my trips in the Panamints & Eastern Sierra's..........dennisvance@sbcglobal.net

YES! I was there last weekend (march 27-28). Names' Dennis & I just joined your group. Camped overnite at the end of the road & hiked up to the ruins, saw the orchard.

A guy and his girlfriend came up overnight in there LandRover; next day I saw them at the intersection of the westend road & Death Valley main road with two flat tires! Both were bald. Hello! what were they thinking! Fortunately, I carry on-board air & a good tire-patch kit and got them going. I followed them all the way to Baker under 45 mph just to make sure they got there ok. Well, they won't soon forget their trip to DV!

You spoke of Telescope peak, have done it twice, from Mahogany Flat, great view with well marked easy trail.
Got lots to share from my trips in the Panamints & Eastern Sierra's..........dennisvance@sbcglobal.net

Hi XOCAI & Dennis,

Welcome to WtW and thanks for Johnson Canyon info. Ski may already be on his to trip to DV, though.

If I ever get two flats, I sure hope you're the guy who comes along. Driving to Baker at 45 mph sounds like fun. Once I spent a week in Baker after trashing the rear-end of my Ford in the Mojave Preserve. Did you know they have the tallest thermometer in the world there?

By the way, if you're interested in sharing your thoughts (or photos) on Telescope Peak (or any other cool place) visit the National Parks secion of WtW. Follow this link: http://www.wanderthewest.com/index.php/spot?record=12428

Wander well. Stew

We are back. Incredible trip filled with good adventures. Thanks again to all for your info. Will be posting a few photos and a trip report.

YES! I was there last weekend (march 27-28). Names' Dennis & I just joined your group. Camped overnite at the end of the road & hiked up to the ruins, saw the orchard. trees are alive & just starting to bud. Trail is not marked well, lost it twice and had to do some bushwacking. Went about a mile above the settlelment just below the snowline and returned. Stay out of the creek, it is extremely thick and overgrown, plus the ticks are probable just coming in about now. Flowers are starting to bloom everywhere! Also observed hundreds, if not thousands of catapillar sacks breaking open in brush which means the canyon will be full of butterflies within a couple of weeks.

XOCAI, thanks for the info. We were up Johnson Canyon just after you on Monday & Tuesday. I am curious, was there a Dodge pickup (no camper or topper) with Arizona plates parked along the road before it drops into the wash?

Back
Top Bottom