Johnson Valley, CA

UglyScout

Contributors
I just completed a super quick non Wander the West like trip to watch an off road 4x4 desert race. 2000 miles round trip in 5 days.

I can't really recommend going to Johnson Valley as it is a barren waste land with lots of wind and dust. And the pleasant sounds of the 29 Palms Marine base playing war games...
But if you like to offroad/4x4/dirt bike/etc this might be a place to visit.

Johnson Valley BLM site

The event was like Nascar goes to Burning Man. A zillion motor homes and high dollar race trucks in the middle of the desert. It ended up being a small city in the middle of nowhere. 4 days of racing/competition made for a busy trip.

I don't get this far south very often - but I liked the weather when it wasn't windy! 70 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Lows in the upper teens at night, but it warmed quickly so a frozen camper wasn't an issue.

I did experience a first, when I meet some clamper in camp - boy those guys can party!

Pics to follow.

UglyScout

Was that the King of the Hammers event you attended?

Yes indeed.

Here is my most note worthy video - I have some with better action but this one was pretty good. This is the eventual race winner, making the pass of the final car in front of him. He lead the rest of the race.

YouTube - KOH 2011 Back Door - for the WIN!

Camp - it filled up all around me by the end of the week.
gallery_2579_279_20012.jpg

One of the many TOUGH trails in Johnson Valley.
gallery_2579_279_21777.jpg

Scenic view from the top
gallery_2579_279_35995.jpg

I went to the KOH last year and had a great time watching the craziness. My favorite was when one of the Currie cars got stuck in a notch in sledge hammer and the following cars drove right over the top of him.

Back
Top Bottom