just got done brushing two coats Kilz primer on the exterior lid

hangster

Advanced Member
it was the worst part of the body. A lot of tiny spots of corrosion. It felt like rough sand paper. First I washed then lightly sanded with very fine grit then wiped it clean. I haven't decided if I'm going to polish my exterior so that's it for the painting. I figure you can't see the top so if I do polish the body I can paint it silver or something.
Finally got some curtains that fit..and it wasn't easy. Who knew you could get curtains in layered sizes..I didn't. But found a middle layer section that fit close enuf. A towel is so tacky : )

maybe I should have used rustoleum paint.. oh well too late now.
I was reading the manual and it recommends white petroleum jelly for the slide rails.
I'm sure they know best but it sounds like a dust magnet to me.
I was reading there is hi-tech lube now for racing bike gears that repels dust.
Sounds unbelievable but I'll think I'll check it out.
Couldn't hurt I don't think since they're about dry as a bone.

Please post what you find out about the bike chain lube...if it is heat resistant better than petroleum jelly and does not hold dust/dirt it should be a good product for those who own AKs in hot, cold or temperate zones to lube the rails.

Thanks for mentioning it!

never did make it to a bike shop but several gear lubes show up on google if anyone interested.
I read the liquid used to break bolts free from rust is a good lube so I used some I had.
I've been looking for a close to original size porch light but no luck.
I threw my original rusted broken one away thinking.. pfft I'll just buy a new one..wrong.
Should a kept it.
So I ordered a cheap one from amazon til I find one I like.

I would think Teflon spray wight be a good lube. It would have to be reapplied evey year but shouldn't attract dust :)

my porch lite was 5 inch diameter.. closest I can find is 7 3/4.
Checked etrailer and a couple vintage parts places.. the usual suspects.
Who knew they're rare..I didn't. oops

and I fried a wire.. I thought that staple looked a little too tight. Note to self: don't staple wires in place.
So after sanding the scorch marks I'm now going to reseal and hope the burnt plastic smell hasn't penetrated anything else.
Curtains no smell, foam good..hope i got lucky.
I'm going to guess the interior was originally coated in lacquer so I'm going to try a spray can of lacquer first.
I'm reading pro cons varnish vs lacquer, adhesion, bla bla til my heads gonna explode.
I'll try the easiest first and continue from there.

Deft...brushing lacquer...clear

sand carefully...it may be old plywood with a thicker veneer...but it's still a veneer.....you're only taking off the old finish....and carefully the cleaning of the wood surface

120-150 grit start, small 1/4 sheet hand pad or a 1/2 sheet vibrator....220 is far enough for a good finish...sand first coat and re-coat....warm room not hot...deft is volatile and flashes quickly to dry in short order...hard overnight

varnish is a great finish but the process is much longer and requires a shellac base and multiple coats of at least 24 hours drying...you end up with a bullet proof finish ....but Deft does well inside a camper

100_1245.jpg

and I decided to wax that new paint on the roof and found a tiny chip already..Imma keep an eye on it.
Did I mention I blew up a battery?..Well, not the whole battery just both posts.. I filed the posts and used a punch to open up the bolt holes. Seems to be working.. So I have now added fuses to every wire, something I never did before.. I use to figure "ahh i'll never need em"..

and.. I returned a little sink I bought for it..too big. I cut a table and a table stand and
made a wood cover for the oil lines on the floor.
I knocked out that storage box on the floor and used it. Painted the edges and just lacquered them,
now airing it out.

now I'm looking for battery operated lights.. I have the original interior ceiling light but don't want to run loose wires to it and no way I'm pulling off the paneling. I fried the wires a couple weeks ago, and when I pulled them out it didn't occur to me to tie a new one to the end of the fried one, duh. Just glad it didn't catch fire. I need a ceiling light to cover the hole from the original one or I wouldn't bother.
Also built a pad. I had lumber crosswize but straightened them out so now I have storage space underneigh.

hangster said:
now I'm looking for battery operated lights.. I have the original interior ceiling light but don't want to run loose wires to it and no way I'm pulling off the paneling. I fried the wires a couple weeks ago, and when I pulled them out it didn't occur to me to tie a new one to the end of the fried one, duh. Just glad it didn't catch fire. I need a ceiling light to cover the hole from the original one or I wouldn't bother.
Also built a pad. I had lumber crosswize but straightened them out so now I have storage space underneigh.
For ceiling lights, just go with AA or AAA battery operated velcro in place LED lights.

ordered lights off ebay. Now next on the list is water and a sink. Ideally I'd like a setup like my old six pac had. Water storage under the camper along the side, electric water pump, sink with drain leading out. And some kind of heating device to make coffee, not cook just boil water. I'm learning small sinks don't grow on trees.

Keep your eyes on CL for those who are parting out an AK. There was one up somewhere on I-5 or 99 that had almost all the stuff, including the sink awhile age...might still be there. Some elbow grease and,,,voila!....you have a perfectly good sink!

Back
Top Bottom