Just ordered my Ocelot!

generubin

Electric Baja
You know how it goes. I spent what seems like forever trying to decide which manufacturer, which model and which options. And then, as soon as I made the decisions and put in my order, I just can't bear to wait for my camper to be ready!

Thanks to Jay Aronow, the new ATC dealer in Tucson. Jay really helped me out with a lot of ideas on what I do or don't want according to my uses. We must have spent hours on the phone. I have always been a minimalist kind of camper. I don't like to bring a lot of stuff, but what I do bring has to be top quality.

I decided to get the shell version of the ATC Ocelot. The Ocelot because it is a bit narrower over the bed rails. All my trips are on rough roads and in country that often has a lot of brush, plus a bit less wind resistance might be better for mpg. I am ordering the shell version so in my case the difference in the Panther and Ocelot is really just more or less window sill. Options are minimal: large windows on both sides, small window on driver's side of door and patio lights on both sides. That's it nice and simple. I prefer to do most my camping outdoors. I can always haul in a my stove and little table if those arctic mosquitoes get to be too much. Keep it light.

As soon as I get the Ocelot, I'll post some pictures. I'll be taking it up the Dempster Hwy in Canada's NWT. This is one of my all time favorite trips. My wife and I meant to take the trip last summer but she ended up spending the whole summer in the hospital. I'll be able to take Anne with me this coming summer "In Style" :)

Thanks to you Jay for all the help and great advice.

Gene

Attachments

• IMG_2335_2.jpg
    IMG_2335_2.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 258
My wife and I meant to take the trip last summer but she ended up spending the whole summer in the hospital. I'll be able to take Anne with me this coming summer "In Style" :)

Gene

I feel you, Gene. Blessings for you and Anne, I pray.

Mark,

Thank you for your kind thoughts. We have never spoken but I understand the special place from where you words are coming from. The very best to you.

Gene Rubin

I'm like a kid with Christmas just a week away! Jay (chnlisle) just informed me my new ATC Ocelot will be ready next week! That means Anne and I will have it in time for Saline between Christmas and New Years. It is a shell model with large windows both sides. I have plans for a small counter, Wave 3 and a few other details. I probably won't get the mods done in time for this first trip.

Anne and I had a very tough year with many very difficult months of her being hospitalized for AML leukemia. This ATC camper is a gift to ourselves and hopefully we'll make the trip up the Dempster this coming summer. We had planned the trip last summer, but ended up living in a bubble room instead. I've done the trip a few times, I'd like to share it with her.

I have to make a shameless plug for Jay. He pushed me to go ahead and make the order before the January price increase and he reminded me that "life is short", which I so well have learned. And Jay rightly said, "Anne would like the camper, what would you not do for her at this point?".

Both on this site and the Saline Valley site, many of you have offered kind words for Anne. I thank you from my heart for your kind thoughts. She is back at work teaching the 6th grade since a couple of months ago. She is in remission and we hope/pray/expect her to stay that way. Those of us who know us, or anyone for that matter, this link ha some nice pics of some of our travels and a few videos. One very nice one is a song written and played by my fellow musicians, just for Anne. http://www.generubinaudio.com/id23.html

I should have pics of the Ocelot up in a week or so!

Gene, our best to you and Anne. We are sharing in your excitement of getting the new ATC and hope that it brings you years of good service on countless wonderful adventures.

Gene, Congrats on the new camper.

I stopped by ATC to say hi to the guys this morning and saw it being built. Looks neat with the big windows on both sides. Marty told me you've stared to add options like a slide out bed..Good decision.

Hope you get it installed in time to make it to DV after Xmas..

I'm also heading north this summer and will be taking the Dempster up to Inuvik around the second or third week of June. Hopefully you and Anne will get to make the trip this year, and I'll be lucky enough to see you somewhere along the road.

Best of luck with the new ATC.

I am glad to hear your good news regarding Anne.Great choice on a ATC.They are so well made and kept simple and easy to camp with.Did you get the dinette?We like ours in the bobcat.Enjoy your travels and have happy holidays.

Frank

Deltarat,

Yep, I need to have the big windows on both sides, gotta' take in the scenery. I've never done the Dempster in June. But I have done July once and August a couple of times. I suppose you know the area, but if not, check out Dawson City, YT, and Eagle Alaska. Also, if you are taking the much more scenic/non-developed Cassair Highway, don't miss Stewart/Hyder side trip! This is a fun group of webcams to see the Yukon and BC roads under snow: http://members.shaw.ca/ruping/webcams/pyrwebcams.html I see you have a Dodge Cummins as well. Mine is the 5.9. Maybe see you up there!

Frank,
It is a shell version. Options are only large driver's window, small window at rear, porch lights on both sides, and pull out bed. I plan on the minimal of interior "furniture". If I was getting a full camper, I'd so prefer the dinette. I once had a FWC with the couch and I got tired of staring at the galley. With the dinette you can look out the window.

Happy Holidays to you both.

Gene

Pic is just for fun, a Mitsubishi L300 4x4 I used in the Sahara. Nice van. Lots of space, short wheelbase. Some of the stretches without fuel were 800 miles, hence the 8 Nato cans in the van.

Attachments

• Algeria.jpg
    Algeria.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 233
  • Photo 29 of 112.jpg
    Photo 29 of 112.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 234
  • Algeria 2.jpg
    Algeria 2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 219
  • Death Valley 3.jpg
    Death Valley 3.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 205
Deltarat,

Yep, I need to have the big windows on both sides, gotta' take in the scenery. I've never done the Dempster in June. But I have done July once and August a couple of times. I suppose you know the area, but if not, check out Dawson City, YT, and Eagle Alaska. Also, if you are taking the much more scenic/non-developed Cassair Highway, don't miss Stewart/Hyder side trip! This is a fun group of webcams to see the Yukon and BC roads under snow: http://members.shaw.ca/ruping/webcams/pyrwebcams.html I see you have a Dodge Cummins as well. Mine is the 5.9. Maybe see you up there!

Frank,
It is a shell version. Options are only large driver's window, small window at rear, porch lights on both sides, and pull out bed. I plan on the minimal of interior "furniture". If I was getting a full camper, I'd so prefer the dinette. I once had a FWC with the couch and I got tired of staring at the galley. With the dinette you can look out the window.

Happy Holidays to you both.

Gene

Pic is just for fun, a Mitsubishi L300 4x4 I used in the Sahara. Nice van. Lots of space, short wheelbase. Some of the stretches without fuel were 800 miles, hence the 8 Nato cans in the van.

We did the Cassair last year in july what a great drive and camping area.Stewart/Hyder is a nice stop,great when the salmon are running.

Happy holidays

Frank

Deltarat,

I've never done the Dempster in June. But I have done July once and August a couple of times. I suppose you know the area, but if not, check out Dawson City, YT, and Eagle Alaska. Also, if you are taking the much more scenic/non-developed Cassair Highway, don't miss Stewart/Hyder side trip! This is a fun group of webcams to see the Yukon and BC roads under snow: http://members.shaw.ca/ruping/webcams/pyrwebcams.html

Gene - Congrats on the new Ocelot . . . you will love it! Thanks for the webcam site; my wife and I got a kick out of seeing some of the places we have been on summer trips, only now they are covered with snow (and dark). We did the Dempster for the first time last summer. It was a 9,000 mile trip through BC, YT, NWT and Alaska that ended in mid August. Since we returned, not a day goes by that I do not daydream about the Dempster portion of the trip. Something magical about it. We plan on being in DV right after Christmas and hope to hook up with you and some of the other WTW'ers. Will chime in on the trip planning thread soon. - Richard

Hi Richard,

Yes, the Dempster calls a person back, again and again. I don't know where everyone else is going in DV, but my small group will be at Saline Valley, likely between the Lower Springs and Palm Springs, but a bit closer to the Palm Springs. We'll be the ones with the fiddles, mandolins and guitars.

There's a great book for those who enjoy the arctic. It is "Kabloona", I'd recommend the audio. It makes a great book for a long drive. iTunes has it for your iPod.

How did you like Dawson City? Klondike Kate's?

Gene

There's a great book for those who enjoy the arctic. It is "Kabloona", I'd recommend the audio. It makes a great book for a long drive. iTunes has it for your iPod.

Driven many miles listening to that book.

Hi Richard,

Yes, the Dempster calls a person back, again and again. I don't know where everyone else is going in DV, but my small group will be at Saline Valley, likely between the Lower Springs and Palm Springs, but a bit closer to the Palm Springs. We'll be the ones with the fiddles, mandolins and guitars.

How did you like Dawson City? Klondike Kate's?

Gene

Hi Gene, Thanks for the "Kabloona" tip. We will get it.

We are going to try an see a few "new to us" spots in DV. After reading your report of a few weeks ago, we may visit the Geologist's Cabin. Will try to stop by Saline Valley and say "hello." We've been to the springs omly once before, and did not camp there; it was a holiday weekend and very crowded.

Sad to say, we did not go to Klondike Kates. We went to Dawson City right after we came off of the Dempster and only spent one night there. Actually, we stayed in a hotel (the only one of our trip) and used the time to clean up, do laundry, eat a pizza, etc. Walked the streets in the AM, but did not hit the saloons. Our loss. :( We did drive to the top of a local mountain and got a spectacular view of the town and the confluence of the Klondike and Yukon Rivers.

Richard

Driven many miles listening to that book.

Overland,
Fantastic, I am glad you've enjoyed it! A friend of mine is an archeologist and worked many years in the arctic. He had recommended Kabloona and a few other great reads.
Gene

Richard,

You should stay in the middle of the week at Saline, it is heavenly. Butte Valley cabins are best middle of the week as well.

Gene

Hi All,

Ok, I just got home from ATC with my new Ocelot shell. I have a few projects to do to it next week before my "maiden voyage" to Saline Valley. Thanks to Jay Aronow (www.jayaronowcampersales.com/) for helping with the order and design of my shell. The guys at ATC were very friendly and helpful. Marty mentioned that they took orders for quite a number of new campers this December. I figure it is a bunch of orders before the price increase in January.

Here is a couple of pics, I'll follow up with more after Saline.

Gene

Attachments

• IMG_4043.jpeg
    IMG_4043.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_4044.jpeg
    IMG_4044.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 309

Back
Top Bottom