Just saying hello

Hello everyone. I'm in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and recently purchased a 1999 10' NCO Alaskan Camper. It was owned by the State of Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, and I had to make an 856 mile round trip to get it. But I needed something of good quality to give me security and comfort on my trips to and from Alaska.

This camper was on a GREAT looking F450. If I didn't already have a truck I would have gone for the whole package. Being a state-owned property, it was set up as an office... fluorescent lighting, no fridge, no sink, no bunk... but it does have a heater, which I am wondering might had been replaced at some point, because the exterior trip is whiter than the other camper trim. But even tho it will need some mods, $2,000 (tax included) was too good a deal to pass up.

I'll make a bunk and use a memory foam mattress for that and for seating. I have an ARB fridge/freezer, so no problem there. I can carry water in water containers. I have a porta-pot. I have a 2 burner propane stove. I have an on-demand propane shower. And of course I have heat. Can't think of much more needed for just eating and sleeping.

Also, in time, I am wondering about building two battery compartments, and changing over the 110 VAC to a 30A supply.

There are quite a few questions I have regarding this camper, so I'm hoping to get some advice and ideas. And once I'm able to answer other's questions I hope to assist in that area also. I 'will' ask one question now tho... are these campers supposed to have sheet metal on the sides that slide into the PU box?? Mine doesn't.

I have some pics that I wouldn't mind sharing with you all, but, being new, I don't want to be rude in posting pic after pic. But if you'd like to see 'em, just say the word :).

I've researched this forum quite a bit. I'm looking forward to learning, sharing, and helping.
Don

Welcome Don.....looking forward to the modifications and the pictures

I used to have family in Grayling and Port Huron...lots of us up there BeVier's and Grant's

as far as the siding goes....some shops put it on some left it off...most have it on. then there are the remodeling issues...and after the remodeling...where do we get new siding?...and the eventual question...It cost HOW much???....+ shipping :oops:

being a government job....cheap enters into the picture.....Keep your eyes open for a salvage Alaskan...they show up now and then...salvaged siding works well...in the process right now

Too bad on the 450...most likely had a 7.3 liter in it

being that the camper was garaged....keep it garaged if you can....at least covered, till you can replace the linseed oil tape caulking with some butyl

Rusty said:
Welcome Don.....looking forward to the modifications and the pictures

I used to have family in Grayling and Port Huron...lots of us up there BeVier's and Grant's

as far as the siding goes....some shops put it on some left it off...most have it on. then there are the remodeling issues...and after the remodeling...where do we get new siding?...and the eventual question...It cost HOW much???....+ shipping :oops:

being a government job....cheap enters into the picture.....Keep your eyes open for a salvage Alaskan...they show up now and then...salvaged siding works well...in the process right now

Too bad on the 450...most likely had a 7.3 liter in it

being that the camper was garaged....keep it garaged if you can....at least covered, till you can replace the linseed oil tape caulking with some butyl
Thank you. Yep, I know those areas... nice country :).

I 'am', and I am 'not', looking forward to the mods (money is tight), but I want to make it as comfortable as possible for a good night's sleep (and meals) for 14-16 days/nights a year. Plus have it comfortable for my girlfriend for camping a few times a year.

Thanks on the tip about the siding. As I mentioned, there isn't any now, and the plywood is painted or treated black. I have some primer that I was thinking about spraying on the wood there, and maybe even adding some siding as well.

Yeah on the cheap tip... I wondered that as well. Everything seems to be tight and of good quality tho. Except for the top door seeming to be sprung a bit and no floor covering that I can tell.

I can't keep it garaged, and will have to keep it on my truck. Planning on doing a little winter camping actually, to see how things go. I do have quite a bit of butyl tape laying around. That stuffs leaves nasty looking stains tho.

I'm speaking of butyl glazing tape or bead...comes in long rolls...inert and impervious to water....goes under the gutters and eyebrows

if the camper is going to remain on the truck over the winter...get the gutter and vent caulking done asap....you can use a tube of silicon to get you over the winter...as long as its applied on a dry surface....a 60-100w old style lightbulb left in the camper when parked will usually keep it dry inside.

The last thing you want is to get wet and leave it wet for an extended period of time

Something you can do to the plywood on the lower section to get you through the winter.....a bed liner roll on...ugly stuff but pretty good and thick for a season...then cover it up as you can with siding as you secure it...in the meantime your dry...and its out of sight in the bed

Rusty said:
I'm speaking of butyl glazing tape or bead...comes in long rolls...inert and impervious to water....goes under the gutters and eyebrows

if the camper is going to remain on the truck over the winter...get the gutter and vent caulking done asap....you can use a tube of silicon to get you over the winter...as long as its applied on a dry surface....a 60-100w old style lightbulb left in the camper when parked will usually keep it dry inside.

The last thing you want is to get wet and leave it wet for an extended period of time

Something you can do to the plywood on the lower section to get you through the winter.....a bed liner roll on...ugly stuff but pretty good and thick for a season...then cover it up as you can with siding as you secure it...in the meantime your dry...and its out of sight in the bed
Thanks for the tips. I have two 25' rolls of that butyl stuff

Ok on the silicon caulking... I'll do that. As for the light bulb, I was actually thinking about keeping a small electric heater inside and keeping the camper plugged in overnights. The heater has an "eco" mode, so wouldn't use much electricity.

For the lower plywood, I think I'll spray on the primer and then put on a 1/2" aluminum-backed foam board. I'll also add some treated 1X1's to the bottom for the camper to sit on in the bed... water can roll under and out. I'll insulate underneath with the foam as well.

Keep in mind....if you plan to leave it on the truck the foam will be fine...but if it's going to be loaded and unloaded....the lower section sides do get a little beat up over the years and the foam will go bye bye

good call on raising it with the 1x...one of the first places to rot on the originals was the floor....all bolted down and rotten floors. on the bottom of the 1x's...old inner tubes stapled to the wood....provides a little more friction to stop the shifting.....

and...measure your bed width, they all vary a little.....and tack on a strip to make up the difference to the camper....it'll help the camper tuck in nice and snug....makes loading easier as well

with your location the heater might be the ticket.....but....all closed up it doesn't take much to warm things up...you'll be surprised...especially with the top down

Rusty said:
Keep in mind....if you plan to leave it on the truck the foam will be fine...but if it's going to be loaded and unloaded....the lower section sides do get a little beat up over the years and the foam will go bye bye

good call on raising it with the 1x...one of the first places to rot on the originals was the floor....all bolted down and rotten floors. on the bottom of the 1x's...old inner tubes stapled to the wood....provides a little more friction to stop the shifting.....

and...measure your bed width, they all vary a little.....and tack on a strip to make up the difference to the camper....it'll help the camper tuck in nice and snug....makes loading easier as well

with your location the heater might be the ticket.....but....all closed up it doesn't take much to warm things up...you'll be surprised...especially with the top down
Thanks Rusty. I figure I'll be taking it off and putting it back on about 6 times a year If the foam gets beat up some, I'll live with it for as long as possible, or just replace it. Also thinking too about covering the foam with some sheet metal. But at the moment I've trying to think up a battery compartment design that will allow me to carry my two Trojan J185H-AC batteries. Each one weighs about 123 pounds each. Would be nice to keep them on the same side and easily connected in parallel.

I'll see what i can do on the sides to get it snug and tight in the box. Thanks for that suggestion :). As for the inner tubes, I currently have a sprayed in plastic bed liner that extends up and on to the box rails, and I have two pieces of rubber matting covering the box bed. I'll keep that rubber in the box and set the camper, with the 1Xs attached, on top of the rubber matting.

As for the heater, I hear ya... I'll check it out and monitor the heat and if it's too much I'll go the light bulb route. The latter would be cheaper in electricity.

So, it looks like I'll have EIGHT projects to get going on, not necessarily in the order mentioned below:

1) the insulating, sheet metal (if I do that), and 1Xs

2) the battery box configuration and fabrication

3) installing 30A service and distribution panel

4) installing a light switch near the entry door, and installing some side lights that I'll take off my camper van, operated by rocker switches

5) fabricating a sitting, eating, and sleeping area

6) redoing the perrilli

7) sealing the gutters and vent

8) wiring up the clearance lights directly to my truck wiring

Think I should start a separate thread for each one, or have one thread with all the mods??

Back
Top Bottom