Kamp King Koaches

Shadyapex

I imagine many here will already be familiar with these but recently I've been pondering the sheer size of some of the truck campers I see around my area. Until, that is, I stumbled across this.
I can only imagine the evil handling of the poor, over burdened trucks in some of these photos. I won't complain about my Eagle ever again, even if I am 400 lbs. over GVWR on my 2014 Taco.
http://www.starling-travel.com/2012/11/15/the-del-rey-kamp-king-sky-lounge-truck-camper/

Wow, great find shady! Enjoyed the old photos and brochure, fun stuff.

Yes, people sure seem to have different ideas on camping and from what we see on the road it appears the majority are into huge and outside is okay as long as I don't have to touch it.

Second thought, bigger and bigger is the better way to go. That leaves "smaller and smaller" for us!

I've found that in the first couple of years of a new discipline one tends to add a lot to one's kit; whether it be camping, climbing, skiing, photography, or other. Then in the ensuing years one is advantaged by subtracting items, in order to make things more streamlined and versatile. I'm firmly in the later camp. All I need is reasonable comfort from the elements, the ability to get where I want and to chop garlic. My favorite camera is a lot smaller as well.

I really enjoyed the second comment at the end of the story -

"i am roby mcnamee my grandfather and father were the designers and builders of the above kampers and motorhomes my father is alive grand father has since past i would love a kamper built by them i grew up in the shop on rosemead"

so it appears the family does not have a surviving example.

Thanks,interesting "camper" models.
Sure looks like those campers weigh bunches & bunches.
Can anyone say top heavy.I like the "patio"on some of them.
I'll stick to my simple Bobcat thank you.
Fun to see though.
Frank

Yeah, I don't think a patio on top of our Eagle would work out that well, besides, it would be too hard to pop the top.

Looks like a houseboat in a pickup bed!

In the area where I live there are still lots of old truck campers sitting out by barns and such rotting away. Many of their owners are already gone. It reminds you how popular these things once were with hunters ect. Now they are a novelty item in the east.

Back
Top Bottom