Keeping busy waiting for new FWC

alano

dollie.jpg

Ordered our FWC Hawk in early July and used the time since to put new tires (Firestone Destination ATs), and a backup camera (wireless) on the truck. Then just waited... and waited. Decided to turn my distress into productive effort yesterday and built this dollie for the camper I have yet to obtain. I think when pregnant women do stuff to prepare for the soon-to-come baby it is called "nesting". I nested.

About 4' x 6' x 3' made from 2x4s and a sheet of plywood plus some 4x4 to help mount the casters. Did pretty well on planning except I made the width beams 4' and so when dropped the plywood on the top it came out 3" short. Oops. Rather than take it all apart and correct it, I added a 3" strip of plywood to the short side As a former mechanical design engineer, it agrieves me to make this kind of mistake because I didn't bother to make a proper layout of my design. On the other hand, it's liberating to just scrawl something out on a scrap of paper and go out and build it.

Alan

Nice job. Somewhere I saw one like that where they had put plywood on the lower part also to make a shelf to store camping stuff under the camper. I like that idea but I don't have enough ceiling height in my garage for a tall dolly like that. I wanted to be able to pop the top during storage so I had to make my dolly low to the floor. I hope your camper arrives soon.

Good to channel all that anticipation related energy. Congrats on your new camper. And, remember once you get it, don't sit around and admire it. A dirty camper is a happy camper.

Congrats on pulling the trigger on the Hawk. Be sure to post a pic of it sitting on its dolly. Better yet, we'd all love to see pics from the inaugural voyage. :)

highz said:
Congrats on pulling the trigger on the Hawk. Be sure to post a pic of it sitting on its dolly. Better yet, we'd all love to see pics from the inaugural voyage. :)
Do you have an update for us? Is it sitting on its dolly? Inaugural voyage?

Back
Top Bottom