Keeping Cabinets and Drawers Closed

nixfwc

I have almost completed my Fleet remodel and will post some photos soon but am now trying to figure out how to keep my cabinets and drawers closed while traveling. Most of the hardware I am finding does not seem to work for face frame cabinets without building extensions on the frame. Having spent much time constructing the cabinet, I am reluctant to use bungy cords across the front. What have other FWCs used on their cabinets?

Nix,

My camper was customized by the prev owner (member Chnlisl) with this snap and webbing system to keep the cabinets shut..Some may think it crude, I do not. has performed flawlessly for us..Will not come open offroad!

THe drawer is stock and stays shut well..

Good Luck!

TT

Attachments

• DSCN1862.jpg
    DSCN1862.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 783
  • DSCN1863.jpg
    DSCN1863.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 850
cabinets and doors always open when on those rocky roads....

I used velcro, 2 inch variety. a couple of piece on large doors, one on the small ones. When traveling, put the other side of the velcro on and it holds very nicely. When in camp, just remove and use as usual. simple, easy and works.

Snaps are nice, too, but velcro was nice and self stickem. Home depot has it all...

good luck

dave in seattle

Boat cabinet catches

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/239880/377%20710%201050/0/Catches%20/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%201050&Ne=0&Ntt=Catches%20&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5000&subdeptNum=24&classNum=148

I have used these along with the typical spring hinge and they never have come open with quite a bit of off camber 4x4 and stuff inside:D They have a pressure setting that you can increase their holding power too.

Nix,

This is a simple approach but may work for you, it has for me in a different application, but you may want to give it a try. Plastic child proof clips. They mount to the door and just grab the inside of the cabinet face. The door can open just enough to get your finger in and then push down or to the side, depending on how you mount the clip.

I hope this helps.

Paul

I have almost completed my Fleet remodel and will post some photos soon but am now trying to figure out how to keep my cabinets and drawers closed while traveling. Most of the hardware I am finding does not seem to work for face frame cabinets without building extensions on the frame. Having spent much time constructing the cabinet, I am reluctant to use bungy cords across the front. What have other FWCs used on their cabinets?

These've worked well for us...

Latches

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I will try the child door locks on the doors and a hook and loop on the opposing cabinet doors to keep it as clean as possible. This forum is a great resource. My photos are coming soon if I can figure out hoe to post them.

I use a cam latch on the large slider under the stove with a compression fridge bar inside so the pots don't tumble out when I open the door. A slide bolt into the side of the drawer with a small bungee wraped around it & the drawer handle to keep it closed. Then velcro on the other slider doors. I also have a couple bungees connected between eyebolts & the handles on the backside of the seat back to keep it from bouncing up & then letting the seat cushions fly around. I drive a lot of very rough roads & 4x4 trails & this seems to work for me. I looked at the hardware from West Marine etc... but couldn't justify spending $50 - $100 per latch on a camper I only spent $1400 on to begin with.

Doug

drawer and cabinet catches

A great way to keep doors and drawers closed is to use a "Perko nylon stud and socket catch". You can buy them thru most marine supply stores, like West Marine or other marine sources. They hold very well and are easy to install. Have a couple installed in my boat and they hold the hatches very well. Check em ' out, they will hold your cabinets closed even on rough roads.

Back
Top Bottom