Keeping Cabinets/Drawers Closed

Randy

Recently acquired a Hawk. Happy with it but and still sorting out "issues" after a few shake down trips the last couple of weeks. Specifically, when on dirt roads (some times necessary to be in 4x4) I have gone back to find drawers fallen out or cabinets opened and their contents all over the floor. This is even with careful driving but when you are some back country roads there are going to be bumps. I have rigged rope to the cabinets to tie them shut. Went to home depot and looked at those children latches (did not like what I saw). I am sure you all have had similar experience, what kind of innovative solutions are out there?

Thanks for your ideas.

Welcome to the forum Randy,

I was waiting for others to jump in here as I have replaced the sliding doors on the small cabs with hinged doors and am using barrel bolts or loop bungees for safeties. Not really very subtle but effective. Webbing and snaps will also work. Check out the thread with interior pictures back a number of pages for some other ideas. We have a new FWC so the drawer hasn't been a problem.

I have a 2001 hawk shell with my own cabinets. 4x4 roads just ruin the doors. Magnets are enough for road driving, but the off road stuff just kills them. I have found the least intrusive and most reliable is 2 inch velcro straps. One side to the cabinets. Other used as a strap. When driving, straps go on the doors. When stopped, straps come off until moving again. Cheap, simple, easy, and they don't get in the way. I was going to use fancy door handles, but this was so much easier.

What does everyone else use? Always looking for better ideas.

dave

I have been using webbing and snaps since I had a boat. It works very well on rough roads as well as lumpy seas. The picture is of my old Ranger that I sold to Tom Tierra. He can tell you how well this system worked on his last Baja trip.

Attachments

• FWC 001.jpg
    FWC 001.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 356
good topic

Randy,

The Ranger I bought from WTW member "Chnlisle" had been customized with two inch nylon straps and snaps. Works great! (thanx AGAIN Jay) And they seem to be durable. Jay also had another great idea, while the slider cabinets are closed(not the big cabinet but the short one above the window), drill a small hole at the end of the top overlay, but hole on underlay. when your going off road, finger tighten a small screw into this hole and it will keep the cabinet from sliding open.

Jay had to beat his head in down in Baja to figure this stuff out, lucky guy!

TT

Attachments

• DSCN1862.JPG
    DSCN1862.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 344
  • DSCN1863.JPG
    DSCN1863.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 335
Smoke and other things

I'll try to get pictures of the stoppers on my 2000 hawk in the sunlight tomorrow. I have never had a problem with doors/drawers opening (provided I remember to close everything) and I have done some pretty fun 4x4 driving.

To Tomas Tierra, because of the fires (the Cemetery fire near Lompoc should be contained by now), if you're planning to head north to find a camp site, plan on going as far north as Santa Margarita, just past the Cuesta grade out of SLO before you're likely to find open USFS land. I went through Cuyama valley on Monday and the smoke was so thick I would have had my headlights on regardless of the "safety corridor" signs.

Thanks

Hey Guys, thanks for the ideas. As background, my Hawk is a 2007 and the plastic male/female catches just don't seem substantial (nor do they stay shut on rough roads). The plastic already seems to be "stretching" thus decreasing the tension on the connection.

Those fires in CA appear to have brought smoke here to SW New Mexico. Last weekend was particularly bad. I lost sight of some of the mountain ranges around my place.

It sounds like a different door design

My cabinets have sliding doors, I sounds like yours may have swinging doors. But, for what it's worth, here are pictures of the little rubber stoppers. You have to push the inward door a little to get it to clear. To open or close the drawer, lift up about 1/4 inch.

Sliding cabinet

Close up

Attachments

• 2007-08-22 17-05-32_0024.jpg
    2007-08-22 17-05-32_0024.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 153
I did it again...hit submit before I was done.

I really should disable the touch pad on the laptop when an external mouse is connected...

Bottom of drawer

I really should disable the touch pad on the laptop when an external mouse is connected...
Boy, isn't that the truth!

Mike

I had a third picture, but...

I thought of posting a third picture, but given that it didn't provide much more information plus my epileptic posting (no disrespect to anyone with epilepsy, I have a friend and a dog with that condition) I decided against it. Thanks Mike, for making me feel even more self conscience. ;)

Thanks Mike, for making me feel even more self conscience. ;)
Crap, I should of said, I also have that problem, but I see I actually shot you in the foot. :eek:

So, I will own you a cold beer when we finally meet!

Sorry,
Mike

though I almost never turn down a free cold one
Hmm, it is only about 320 miles between Sacramento, CA and Santa Maria, CA.

I will be at ATC sometime mid-June 2008..........

Mike

Back
Top Bottom