Kidde fire extinguisher recall

Go to: kidde.com Very simple, fill the blanks on their support site. Enter your name, address, phone number, model #, serial #. They will ship new unit with instructions for defective unit

Thanks Frank, My camper unit and one in the garage were on the list. Site said 15 to 20 days for a replacement.

The one that came with my 2016 FWC is on the recall list. I had 4 in total on the recall list, so I guess I will be getting 4 new fire extinguishers. I wonder what exactly the concern is? I am assuming they won't want the old ones back - in which case I may have to do some fire extinguisher practice.

Interesting.
I attempted to use mine from the camper to put out a campfire in windy conditions that didn't seem to be improving and the extinquisher failed to operate. Hope I didn't chuck it but think I may have. Can't seem to find it in the shop.

Thanks for the info. Mine was on the list and will await the receipt of the new one. They said to hold onto the recall unit and instructions would come with the replacement unit as to what to do. Their site says 1 person was killed so don't use the recall unit. The handle can become a projectile. jd

I have two on the list, including the one from my '01 Hawk shell.

Just a few quick notes on filling out the claim form:

- I tried putting n/a in the date code field to indicate not applicable but the form rejected that as invalid. If your extinguisher doesn't have a date code, leave that field blank.

- The search function couldn't find the one from my kitchen when I entered model number 1A10BC. And it came back empty on a partial search for "1A". But when I thought to search for Kidde, the resulting list included an entry for "Kidde 1A10BC". If you can't get the form to accept your model number, you might try looking through the listings accompanying the annoucement for clues on how it might be listed in the database.

rando said:
I am assuming they won't want the old ones back - in which case I may have to do some fire extinguisher practice.
ETAV8R said:
I attempted to use mine from the camper to put out a campfire in windy conditions that didn't seem to be improving and the extinquisher failed to operate.
For sure it would be interesting to test them out. Worse than useless if they don't work.

Just a thought here ... My understanding is the dry chemical powder used in some types of extinguishers can settle over time, going from a loose powder into more of a solid mass. And we know vibration (think driving) can cause compaction. I've read the recommendation to, at least once a year, turn these dry chemical extinguishers upside down and tap the bottom of the cylinder with a rubber mallet to loosen up the contents. I do this occasionally with the 5lber I carry in the truck box. If I shake or tilt the bottle before and after I can "feel" the difference it makes to the flow of the powder within.

My 2016 Four Wheel Camper provided extinguisher was involved in the recall.

Here are some direct links to help everyone out.

Plastic handle identification:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/inmar-adx-files/N130284/US_Plastic+Handle+Product+ID+Guide.pdf

Push button identification:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/inmar-adx-files/N130284/US_Push+Button+Product+ID+Guide.pdf

FAQ:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/inmar-adx-files/N130284/US_25+FINAL+FAQ+for+Posting+to+Kidde.pdf

(Select country then at the bottom of the page click the link for the type extinguisher needing replaced)

https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/

If you run dry chem I'd shake them once a month. One more thing that makes me glad I went away from dry chem.

The Kidde website did not work for me. Plan B: Called their "Kidde Support Line" toll free number @ (855) 271-0773. The receptionist will take and enter your information (name, address, model/serial numbers and color) into their computer system. Done! You can expect your new fire extinguisher on your door step within 10-14 days.

Happy Trails...

Back
Top Bottom