Kidde fire extinguisher recall

Got my replacement and fit directly into the old mount.

As mentioned by someone else it is a good idea to shake it up occasionally since the bouncing in the truck will compact it. I used to service these things and we had one in the office that we cut the bottom off of and the powder inside was hard as a rock.

Got Mine on Saturday :)

OK I'm keeping the old one in my garage / shop. Am I correct that the issue is that the handle "May" break if used? I'll keep just in case it may come in handy

XJINTX said:
Got Mine on Saturday :)

OK I'm keeping the old one in my garage / shop. Am I correct that the issue is that the handle "May" break if used? I'll keep just in case it may come in handy

These news reports out of CNN and Cleveland 19 News may help us understand the issues....

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/02/health/fire-extinguishers-recall/index.html

http://www.cleveland19.com/clip/13873062/what-happened-when-we-recently-tried-to-use-one-of-kiddes-now-recalled-fire-extinguishers

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/36748552/see-what-happened-when-we-recently-tried-to-use-one-of-kiddes-now-recalled-fire-extinguishers

Also-

I've already returned my old extinguishers but out of curiosity I called the Kidde Product Recall center today and asked what their policy is on owners keeping the old fire extinguisher. The agent told me their policy is the old ones must be returned. And if they're not returned you will get a follow-up letter. The agent said something like it's part of the deal to get the new extinguisher (but I don't recall seeing anything about that).

In my case, I sent mine back because they were both more than 15 years old and I know the one in the camper was stored in higher temperatures and likely to have compacted powder in it.

If anyone gets the letter, please let us know what it says.

OLD CROW THANKS for the post and info. I had not even opened my box yet. I see they have return mail lable. I will send back today!!!!

Gotta love the info I find on this blog

I'm guessing the old tanks will be rebuilt into new fire extinguishers.

Plus there is probably a liability issue if they give you a new one and there is a fire and you have an issue because you used the old one.

There are detailed instructions on how to return the old units, but you should be prepared to fight your way through the IVR to get to talk to an actual agent to schedule a pickup. Just keep saying "talk to an agent" at every IVR prompt and you will eventually prevail.

Thanks for the heads up. One of my 4 was affected. I have a wood stove so many fire extinguishers around :)

Thank you Casa Escarlata Robles Too for starting this thread, I just checked mine. One ok, one recalled.

It's great to see how many have signed up for the recall.
I try to tell every one I see about the recall.Not just camping ones.
We all have them in our homes as well.
You have to give credit to the Kidde company for following through with this safty issue.
Frank

Found my old one and entered all the information. Apparently mine isn't affected even though it failed to discharge when needed for a campfire in windy conditions. The response on the website is confusing.

kidde-logo.png
| Product Safety Recall

Thank you for your submission.​
If the item you entered is listed as Unaffected, your extinguisher is not impacted by this recall, thank you for contacting Kidde, and we appreciate your business. For the items listed below as Affected, Kidde will be sending you a replacement Fire Extinguisher of similar or higher fire rating. Replacements should ship within 10-15 business days from your submission. Please retain your existing fire extinguisher unit until your replacement has been received. Upon receipt of your new fire extinguisher you will find instructions on what to do with your affected fire extinguisher.​
AFFECTED
Product: H110G Red | Serial: BM-191741​
No additional affected products
UNAFFECTED
No additional unaffected products

Got our replacement today- same size as the old one. We packed up the old one in the box provided and my wife delivered it to the FedEx office near home sonce she was going right by there. Surprise- they said they couldn't accept hazardous packages and she would have to take it to the airport location. She asked what would happen if the driver had come to pick it up at our house and the fellow said that was no problem. Go figure. The airport is not far from us so she took it there. The counter person said they had seen quite a few of the fire extinguisher packages.

takesiteasy said:
Got our replacement today- same size as the old one. We packed up the old one in the box provided and my wife delivered it to the FedEx office near home sonce she was going right by there. Surprise- they said they couldn't accept hazardous packages and she would have to take it to the airport location. She asked what would happen if the driver had come to pick it up at our house and the fellow said that was no problem. Go figure. The airport is not far from us so she took it there. The counter person said they had seen quite a few of the fire extinguisher packages.
Many Fed-ex and UPS stores are not really Fed-ex and UPS. They are private post office stores that do business with them. That's what we have here.

I had to send a firearm back for a recall. The local store would take it to ship but wouldn't technically receive it from me. As in no receipt to prove I had dropped it off if something went wrong or disappeared. So I wouldn't leave it. In the same shopping center I saw the Fed-ex truck and flagged the driver down. The package was already labeled. The manufacturer has a contract with Fed-ex and had sent me labels. So I gave it to the driver and he scanned it in while I watched.

Sometimes calling for a home pickup is simplest.

With your new extinguisher, they supplied an instruction sheet for the return. Call FEDEX, request to speak to an agent, tell them it's hazardous, give them the tracking # on the return label, and they come pick it up at your door. Easy Peasy.

Back
Top Bottom